"The Big Three" Electrical Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you perhaps mean you would use 1/0 because 2/0 is too stiff?

I've got some 2/0 marine wire and it is stout, not sure I'm going to try to use it for this on my 100.
2/0 is bigger than 1/0...do you mean 2 awg?
My apologies I meant 2awg not 2/0. I do know 2/0 is bigger than 1/0:) Corrected in my previous post. I think 2awg would be perfect in this application.

It would be great if @J1000 or anyone else who has upgraded their alternator and the cables to it could post the lengths or measurements of them so that @Fourrunner could put together a complete replacement kit for those who would like the alternator leads along with these grounds in their wiring kit.

Here is the plan gang. Funny you should mention this Flipped Bezel, but my thought was to offer the standard Big Three Kit, a Big Three Plus Kit and a Big Three Plus Plus kit. Here is what each would have in them.

Big Three
#4 cable from negative side of battery to inner fender
#4 cable from the firewall to the intake
1/0 cable from the engine hook to the fender apron

Big Three Plus
Big Three Cable Kit
Mil Spec Battery Terminal Kit (plus and minus)
Battery Terminal Extensions with hardware (working on this design at the moment)
1/0 cable from the Positive Battery Terminal Extension to the starter
1/0 cable from the Negative Battery Terminal Extension to the intake manifold

Big Three Plus Plus
Big Three Plus Kit
1/0 cable from the Fuse/Relay block bolted to the battery extension to the Alternator

What is the thought on this approach? It would be great if someone could get some dimensions for me for the cable going from the battery to the starter, the battery to the ground point by the starter and the alternator cable. I would be willing to knock some money off the cost if someone could help me with dimensions (lug hole size and cable length).

Here is the plan gang. Funny you should mention this Flipped Bezel, but my thought was to offer the standard Big Three Kit, a Big Three Plus Kit and a Big Three Plus Plus kit. Here is what each would have in them.

Big Three
#4 cable from negative side of battery to inner fender
#4 cable from the firewall to the intake
1/0 cable from the engine hook to the fender apron

Big Three Plus
Big Three Cable Kit
Mil Spec Battery Terminal Kit (plus and minus)
Battery Terminal Extensions with hardware (working on this design at the moment)
1/0 cable from the Positive Battery Terminal Extension to the starter
1/0 cable from the Negative Battery Terminal Extension to the intake manifold

Big Three Plus Plus
Big Three Plus Kit
1/0 cable from the Fuse/Relay block bolted to the battery extension to the Alternator

What is the thought on this approach? It would be great if someone could get some dimensions for me for the cable going from the battery to the starter, the battery to the ground point by the starter and the alternator cable. I would be willing to knock some money off the cost if someone could help me with dimensions (lug hole size and cable length).
@Fourrunner Maybe attach your image of the positive/negative extension like we had talked? I know you are still waiting on the prototype from the cutter, but could get some other feedback on people's thoughts on it.

Here are the extensions I mentioned in the post above. The hex hole will have a rivet nut inserted into it. Would it be better to have just a standard bolt and nut?Would like some feedback.

Battery Extensions.JPG

Gang, I should have the "Big Three" kit ready within a week or two. "Big Three Plus" is a couple weeks (at least) out and "Big Three Plus Plus", maybe more. Hope to release kit pricing in a few days for the "Big Three" kit.

So dumb question, but seeing as we are all down with our rigs for the COVID stuff, does anyone happen to have their intake off to confirm some things for Mark?
He and I have been talking and part of what he is looking for is some more detailed info on the connections to the Starter and the grounding lug that is inside the valley there. Looks to be the standard side (5/16"?) inside there but without someone to confirm it is a shot in the dark just basing off what I came up with size-wise from the battery side of things. From what we have determined, ends are like for like, so if it is 5/16" on one end then it is on the other (have tested and confirmed with some cables).

Here is the small business classifieds section thread for pricing and hopefully will get some pictures posted soon.

Nice job! I need to address a few of these wires as well.

Do you have a link to what you replaced the T's with here?
Stainless T’s from Four Seasons:

Amazon product ASIN B000DCNGIS
By the way, I’ve since added adhesive-lined heatshrink to the ends of my ground wires on the advice of others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom