The best Headlight bulb on the market today. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I put the 9011's in (high beam)that i got from Amazon this weekend and was a little disappointed. Not much brighter than the 9005's that came out. I considered returning them but since i modded them i wont.

Oh well.....

Last edited:
Bummer, were OEM 9005's new?

Could they have been boot-leg bulbs See post #104 for comparison bulbs vs real Philips' bulbs.

Last edited:
2001LC,

IDK if they have ever been changed. I haven't since i bought the 100 3 years ago.

They are exactly like the one's on post 104. They are marked 65W and the 9005's are marked 60W

TLC Dan

2001LC,

IDK if they have ever been changed. I haven't since i bought the 100 3 years ago.

They are exactly like the one's on post 104. They are marked 65W and the 9005's are marked 60W

TLC Dan
So at least three years for sure, wow I'd expect much better than old OEM's.

To be clear post #104 the first two pictures are authentic Philips like your 9011's, but picture three and four are boot-leg correct?:confused:

Which bulb are you selling 9005NBU or 9006NBU?

I have a full set for highs, lows and fogs. 2 pairs 9006, 1 pair 9005.

I put the 9011's in (high beam)that i got from Amazon this weekend and was a little disappointed. Not much brighter than the 9005's that came out. I considered returning them but since i modded them i wont.

Oh well.....
Same experience I had with HIR. The Osram OptiBright was brighter, and now the Phillips +90% is even brighter than that. The HIRs were Toshiba tho, new ones might be better.

Then, about moving the battery, or the lamp, to change the bulb --- : Isn't the UZJ the same as the HDJ re removing the washer reservoir's filler pipe in order to access the bulbs? Just pinch the clips and pull straight up.

Same experience I had with HIR. The Osram OptiBright was brighter, and now the Phillips +90% is even brighter than that. The HIRs were Toshiba tho, new ones might be better.

Then, about moving the battery, or the lamp, to change the bulb --- : Isn't the UZJ the same as the HDJ re removing the washer reservoir's filler pipe in order to access the bulbs? Just pinch the clips and pull straight up.

Interesting comparison, some just love them others don't. IIRC lumen greater in HIR's, possibly color temp effects ones preference?

My bad, I'd just replace a housing and was not thinking ...t, Reservoir is correct that's what the 2001 owners manual illustrates, see bottom of page: post #57.

Both my low beam bulb filaments failed this last weekend after driving for a couple hours on a washboard road that was a little worse than normal. I had not heard of that happening before. The high beams were still working so just drove home with high beams on.

With the help of this thread I ordered the ones from HomeDepot listed above, Phillips 9011's and 9012.

Also when I removed the old bulbs, I found that I had somehow put the wrong bulb type. They were Sylvania 9006's but 51W (maybe intended for fog lights?). I'm not sure if that also made them less resistant to vibration.

So I am looking forward to having some real headlight bulbs in a few days.

dead_bulbs.jpg

^Those were the correct bulbs; See: post #57 owners manual at bottom of page.

Interesting your O ring seal is a different color and the housing color is a shade off OEM's from Nov 2001; See post #58 for bulb comparison.

In your picture I only see one broken filament.....

Last edited:
[In your picture I only see one broken filament.....[/QUOTE]

The break on the closer bulb was very subtle but I didn't quite capture it in the photo. It looks like it broke without burning up the filament. The filament of the bulb in the background is melted into a ball. I'm not sure if that indicates that one broke and the other was taken out as a result* or if they independently broke on the bumpy road and those are two failure modes.

*enough inductance in the harness to briefly put additional current in the remaining bulb?

Not all would agree on using these HIR 9011 or 9012's as a good replacement for 9005 HB3 or 9006's HB4 factory recommended bulbs. The HIR's are the most popular to-dated, for the reflective housing of the LC. Although issue of short life and not much improvement in illumination have been raised. Also some concern of heat, mainly when used in fogs.

And to be clear they do not fit into H1 headlight low beams like in the LX, these only work to replace HB3 or HB4 with a simple mod need to for fitment.

Here are a few of the post that bring up issues:

There are other posts about them exploding, I think in the 80 section and also in the 100 section. These were Toshiba bulbs in the high beams. 20k miles over 2.5 years is what they lasted. No wiring mods, no relays no drl mod.

I like the brightest headlight as much as the next guy does. However I do have one question...

Have any of you taken a IR gun and measured the temperature at the reflector? These headlights are not polished chrome, they are plated and baked. The larger the bulb, the hotter it runs. Halogen generally runs very, very hot. I have seen a few headlights where people put high wattage, high output bulbs and within a year the chrome on the reflector has deteriorated severely. Before any of you suggest the next bulb, I strongly recommend taking the temperature. This is a major issue with HID's in projectors. However, it's not limited to halogen multi-point reflectors. You can, and will burn these headlights if you are not careful.

What is the question regarding H1 bulbs in the LX? I have upgraded my H1's to the regular silver star Series H1's. They made an improvement over stock, but not as much as HIR'S do. However, they outlasted both of my HIR'S in my HB non projectors.

When my HIR'S went on the way to Moab, I put in either extra vision or more silver stars in place of the HIR's. (I was all stressed out over my TPS issues as well as the bulbs n I can't remember for sure.) I will hunt down my receipt and figure out which.

Oh well.....

Last edited:
Could you clear up two points here:
1) The picture is not a reflective housing & bulb, but that of low beams which is a projector type lens with and H1 bulb in this LX correct?
2) How much time (old) was on the OEM bulb?

1) Yup, projector beam in my '06 LX.
2) It had to be the original bulb from '06.

To be clear, the original headlights were still better/brighter than just about any halogen bulb'd car I've driven, probably due to the good projector qualities of the LX headlights. The Philips Visions took it to the next level. My other cars have HIDs and LED (headlights). I no longer feel the lumen output of the LX is inadequate next to my other cars.

Put Phillips 9011s in both low and high beams using the simple modifications shown in thread for my new to me 2000 LC. Extremely impressed and I can actually see at night with the low beams without folks calling for dim. I did the double gasket on the high beams (took off old ones). Seriously, probably twice the distance. It was really bad before. Amazon seems to be the best place to source.

Some pictures from driver seat view would be really cool.
Did the bulbs fit snug after mod, like OEM's?

Had both my Philips 9011 HIR2 brights blow out yesterday morning while on the road to my hunting lease. They were maybe two years old. Seemed brighter to me, but replacement every two years isn't going to cut it.

Not sure what I'm buying to replace.....

Had both my Philips 9011 HIR2 brights blow out yesterday morning while on the road to my hunting lease. They were maybe two years old. Seemed brighter to me, but replacement every two years isn't going to cut it.

Not sure what I'm buying to replace.....
Not the first report of this happening, See # 212 my OEM bubls are dim but after 13 years still work.

I've tried getting info on these via email, see response:
"Dear Mr. ***
I will not be able to answer questions about the bulbs 9011 , 9012. We do not sell these bulbs through Philips Automotive Lighting North America.
Best Regards,
Philips Automotive Lighting North America
north American Auto"

Be cool if you could post picture of back side showing label. One post in this thread has pictures of two different Philips bulbs, both claim to be authentic SEE # 104.

Just stopped by Toyota and they wanted $27 ea.for oem. No discount at that dealership. The parts guy admitted it wasn't worth it. Still looking for something to use for a bit as I'm off to the country dark and early tomorrow morning.

Update:

I'm trying the 9011's one more time but ordering from Candlepower Inc. to see if what I got from Amazon is the same.

Last edited:
Put Phillips 9011s in both low and high beams using the simple modifications shown in thread for my new to me 2000 LC. Extremely impressed and I can actually see at night with the low beams without folks calling for dim. I did the double gasket on the high beams (took off old ones). Seriously, probably twice the distance. It was really bad before. Amazon seems to be the best place to source.
Hi BTUMAN - can you please direct me to the "thread for my new to me 2000 LC" ? I have really tried to use search - but no luck:bang:

Would like to hear input on the LED bulbs that are being advertised here as a group buy...price seems steep but wonder if putting them in a projector would be practical...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom