Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As arguably a Toyota purist I find no fault with your powertrain choice. I love a good V8 more than most.

The only pitfall is one of correct parts acquisition down the road. You may have already made provisions for this so please forgive me if I am being redundant.
You should create your own parts catalog for the non-standard stuff so you know where to go and what to ask for. I would go so far as to record the VIN of the donor vehicle(s) so that you can provide it to any future drone that can't look a sparkplug up without it. :cheers:

If the Museum signs off on it, I should be golden. haha 👍

For sure, I'll need to basically bring three part number catalogs (LS, 80, 75). Only the body is really a 75, and even that is some 78. Luckily all three are fairly common worldwide. The LS, in one form or another, is all over the place. Probably significantly moreso than the 1HZ/HD in many parts of the world.

And a dance card to remind you what parts of the truck came from where.....;)

Thing is, power train is new, chassis new too. I don’t see it needing much besides fluids and filters for 100,000 miles or more.

Maybe brakes before 100k, maybe suspension bushings, maybe tie rods, um...not much else really. I guess if Tony drives it like a teenager all the time and or does some pretty hardcore wheeling it may need a bit more in that first 100k, I doubt it though.

How many times around the world is 100,000 miles? I don’t recall. ;)

Cheers

I don't doubt it's put together right. It is still important to know what, exactly, it's made of. As a potential future buyer, I wouldn't touch it without that birth certificate.

I don't doubt it's put together right. It is still important to know what, exactly, it's made of. As a potential future buyer, I wouldn't touch it without that birth certificate.

Right. I do have a file in my Google Drive with all the docs and a spreadsheet with part numbers.
I just do not, and will not, want to add up all the $ at the bottom of all of those pages. 😬 Ignorace is bliss as far as that goes.
It's certainly a niche vehicle that would require the right buyer to get the proper price either way, not that I'm even remotely considering selling.

I wasn't suggesting you sell it to me (I'd want a clutch pedal in any event ;) ), I'm thinking about a day in your distant future when you may tire of it. :steer:

I wasn't suggesting you sell it to me (I'd want a clutch pedal in any event ;) ), I'm thinking about a day in your distant future when you may tire of it. :steer:

Every build of any significance should be documented. It’s a Cruiser, it’s an investment, good or bad investment is besides the point. It’s still an investment and if selling a unique Cruiser like this, well there is an ass for every seat. ;)

Cheers

I hope you make it down to southern Africa, I would love to see the truck and drink a lot of beer debating the 1HZ part of you statement.

Im going to have serious withdrawls when this project is finnished, keep up the good work.
G

I was thinking the same thing regarding the 1HZ. Especially on our continent. 1HZ is king in Africa, albeit one of my least favorite cruiser motors ever.

Regardless, the LS is a fantastic choice for a modern motor, and like Gengis, I’m gonna struggle to find another good thread to follow.

I hope you plan to drive this through the doodsacre one day. Then you can swing by, say hi, have a braai and a brew!

Getting ready to stab this....

14560403-E3DE-4127-8224-DB9ECF11FD9A.jpeg

In here.

F4346D3A-65A6-4819-9DF9-F840E40466FB.jpeg

Cheers

Electric Fans??

When we test fitted there was a TON of room for a mechanical fan and a proper shrowd. This motor is farther back and shorter than a 1HZ. Almost the entire motor is behind the front axle. So essentially it's a mid-engined, V8, Troopy 😎

Radiator will be a custom job though. Ron Davis more than likely.

When we test fitted there was a TON of room for a mechanical fan and a proper shrowd. This motor is farther back and shorter than a 1HZ. Almost the entire motor is behind the front axle. So essentially it's a mid-engined, V8, Troopy 😎

Radiator will be a custom job though. Ron Davis more than likely.

The fan setup is slightly special though right? From a van application which sucks it back over say a truck application?

Cheers

Sick. I’ll be watching this one for sure.

You passed my little test, I would have had to sign off as a subscriber if you were using electric fans.
I don't believe that they have a place in real trucks.
So, 1.5 pistons worth of extra space, that's great, looking at your workmanship, you could probably roll a shroud up before breakfarst, in your sleep.
G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom