Thank You Toyota! ...Fuel Pump Replacement. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fuel pump started 'whining' last week, so its time to pluck the original out and replace it.

Unlike the Starter on my LX470....the fuel pump is actually easy to replace.

You do NOT have to drop the fuel tank in order to do this repair.

Most folks know there is an 'access panel' under the drivers side 2nd row seat, but I don't know if anyone has actually posted pics or not....so here you go.

You will need to remove both seats in order to get the carpet to lay back far enough to get to the access panel.

LX470%20fuel%20pump1_zps2gh1rjzq.jpg

The panel is held in place by two stainless steel phillips head screws. Remove those and lift the panel straight up to expose the top of the fuel tank.

LX470%20fuel%20pump2_zpseubya5cv.jpg

This will give you easy access to the fuel pump. It will take you longer to take out the seats and roll back the carpet than to replace the pump. Beats the heck out of dropping the fuel tank.

LX470%20fuel%20pump3_zpsuovkgdb9.jpg

Last edited:
Good to know, thanks for taking the time to post this.

nice write up!

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. However wish I did not see how easy this was after having to pay dealer price to fix mine.

So what does the pump look like stand alone? What are the steps to replace it after you've gotten to it?

Did mine last year and was amazed how easy it was to do. I never think about taking pictures though, thanks for doing that.

No, seriously. What's different about the LX?
He was comparing the difficulty of access between the starter and fuel pump. Starter being very difficult and involved to get to; fuel pump not so much. He just stated LX because that is what he happens owns. But regardless of LX or LC, there is no difference between the access for the fuel pump....or starter for that matter

I have found that 99% of imports has this access panel for the fuel pump. My Land Rover, wifes Volvo, her Sedona, my Montero, the Cruiser...yet another reason to never buy a "domestic" car ever again.

$1182 at Lexus of Albuquerque. The pump alone was about $450 (can't remember exact price). Could have gotten it locally at CBT for $276. I think labor was $580. The part number for the pump is 23220-50160. I know there is a pump filter that was replaced as well. May have been part of the assembly though. I didn't have time for other options so although it's tough to swallow it's done and got it back home.

$1182 at Lexus of Albuquerque. The pump alone was about $450 (can't remember exact price). Could have gotten it locally at CBT for $276. I think labor was $580. The part number for the pump is 23220-50160. I know there is a pump filter that was replaced as well. May have been part of the assembly though. I didn't have time for other options so although it's tough to swallow it's done and got it back home.
ouch....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom