Temperature question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got my land cruiser out of storage today!!! I bought it out of San Diego last fall, it's been in storage until today. I literally have had 100 miles away time in it, so i have yet to understand it's normal modes of operation. I live in Vermont and we have mountains. My question is : I was seeing temps between 190-202 depending on what part of the mountain I was going up or down. It seemed like when I put the heat on I could cool it down quick.seemed to hover around 197-198 on scantool. At what temp do I need to worry about starting to cook stuff? And since we all like pictures here is a pic of my son and sharing a birthday as we do every year! Very happy to unleash the beast today!

Search. Tons of threads about temp on here. I wish 202 was as hot as I've seen, got to 224 while towing my pop-up in the mountains last summer, which is definitely too hot.

Temps seem within normal. Just curious, if the 80 gets stored for the winter, what the hell is your winter vehicle?

IMG_2283.JPG
I hope 202 is as high as it gets, but ambient temps were on the 50's. I am sure it will go up a bit. I am goi to change all fluids and the coolant this week and see where It goes. I have a nasty valve cover gasket leak that pukes so much oil that it leaks and burns off on the heat shield. Hoping that a new gasket will fix the problem. The last thing I need is a warped head:(

@Funner

Winter beater is a lifted XC70 wagon with 31 inch studded snow tires and a 5 cylinder turbo! It has seen better days but gets me through the s*** just fine. I am a fraud that the salt here will kill my truck in a hurry. Need to to last as long as it would out west. It was a sad day I put it away in the fall.

@Funner

Winter beater is a lifted XC70 wagon with 31 inch studded snow tires and a 5 cylinder turbo! It has seen better days but gets me through the s*** just fine. I am a fraud that the salt here will kill my truck in a hurry. Need to to last as long as it would out west. It was a sad day I put it away in the fall.

Ah, preserving the west coast 80, makes sense:cheers:

212F is boiling point for water. Coolant boiling temperature (Prestone Heavy Duty 50/50) is 226F at atmospheric pressure.
Boiling point in a system with a 15 PSI pressure cap is 265F.

The temp in the cooling system is controlled by many things not least of all the thermostat. When it is cold out the thermostat will not be fully open to ensure that the engine reaches a minimum temperature. As long as the temperature does not get to high on hot day your cooling system will be ok.

90° today with a SC and I'm currently running 184-186.

FWIW the OEM cap is a 13# cap.

Well at this point I am 3 beers and a fewummand cokes into my proper birthday celebration. And I just realized that @NLXTACY 's thread was 82pages long, that will have to wait until tommorow for sure.

Well at this point I am 3 beers and a fewummand cokes into my proper birthday celebration. And I just realized that @NLXTACY 's thread was 82pages long, that will have to wait until tommorow for sure.
If you're worried about the temps on your LC, DON'T read that from @NLXTACY !!! You'll end up doing all sorts of crazy things, not to mention wasting your time!

Just flush your coolant, change your thermostat and radiator cap (all to OEM) and put in whatever your preferred (green) coolant is, just make sure you have ALL the old stuff flushed and do it with the heater valve open. Flush with DISTILLED water.

Oh yeah.....and new OEM belts. They are very cheap. Buy two sets so you have new spares.

If you're worried about the temps on your LC, DON'T read that from @NLXTACY !!! You'll end up doing all sorts of crazy things, not to mention wasting your time!

Just flush your coolant, change your thermostat and radiator cap (all to OEM) and put in whatever your preferred (green) coolant is, just make sure you have ALL the old stuff flushed and do it with the heater valve open. Flush with DISTILLED water.

Oh yeah.....and new OEM belts. They are very cheap. Buy two sets so you have new spares.

And change your fan clutch!

Fan clutch was rebuilt a few thousand miles ago. I am going to baseline all fluids and filters and then attack the cosmetic stuff. Pondering monstining the whole truck and repainting the sliders and bumpers. For now though I will overwhelm myself with lying in the mud draining gear oil:)

IMG_2295.JPG
In any case, I will have a ton of questions the first of which is......how do I remove the plastic inserts where my flare used to be? Previous owners folly in the desert. I plan to rip off the other 3! I am also confused on how the part on the rear door comes off. I am guessing that the 2 rivets should be drilled out.

Yes the rivets will have to be drilled out. I filled the holes in the panels with large pop rivets and fender washers. This keeps the water out of the inside of your truck.

Get a radiator cap Amazon sankei or futaba check coolant percent ice expands when frozen cracks blocks etc. Change t stat tnc brand parts geek an Amazon. 18.00 a bottle aisin Tempe autohouse 48.00 or more free shipping takes 4 gallons. Fan clutch Amazon also an if she goes up an down at lights with temp your raditor is mostly likely clogged an check your fan blades also. Amazon has fan cheap also if needed. You can pressure system to 15 psi don't go more then that an you can check for hydro carbons in head gasket with Napa juice. A coolant tester has disk to determine glycol percentage. west coast wouldnt be surprised how many drive on water or 75 percent water from previous issues most add wAter keep going. Good luck bro

View attachment 1442173 In any case, I will have a ton of questions the first of which is......how do I remove the plastic inserts where my flare used to be? Previous owners folly in the desert. I plan to rip off the other 3! I am also confused on how the part on the rear door comes off. I am guessing that the 2 rivets should be drilled out.
Flares are worth money$$$!!! don't rip them off just un bolt. Front corner lenses an put arm down there an there 10 mm bolt heads there's rivet brackets that attach to door just in screw flare an drill 2 rivets a little drill bit is all you need. Olathe Toyota Lagrange Toyota google has on line parts diagrams for view gives you a brake down. An there Toyota tech info .com but u got pay that on line service manuals search web an u wil find a PDF for 80 series I bet. The 80 is the best. A classic cant tel u how to ride it. But don't trash it bro 95% parts are available an demand is high in all stages

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom