Temp Sending Unit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

V2, installed OKI-78SR-5/1.5-W36-C | Murata Manufacturing Co.

2016-07-10 10.13.49.jpg

yes take the cluster/dash out(its super easy) and then the fuel guage out.
This is written with sarcasm right? :) I need to do this.

On the 60, cluster removal is easy, save for the speedo cable, but once you get the hang of 'feeling for it' it ain't too bad.

I'm in. Yes way easier than I imagined. Speedo plug is a greasy gooey mess. Can't be right eh? Indicative of? Clean it up and plug it back together? Someone was in the cluster at one time cuz one screw was missing.... My son woke tho as I was setting the gauge on my deck table to open up. Trapped now w/ him.

Speedo literally just popped off as I held up and tipped the cluster to get the rest of the screws out. Are you implying it should not have done that? @Spike Strip

There's a little thumb-clip that latches onto the back of the speedo. Sometimes it's not pushed in all the way. It's to keep the cable from popping out. Could be broken, too. Plastic.

There's a little thumb-clip that latches onto the back of the speedo. Sometimes it's not pushed in all the way. It's to keep the cable from popping out. Could be broken, too. Plastic.

That could be why there is excess grease around the fitting (if it's a greasy mess as Yota described).

That could be why there is excess grease around the fitting (if it's a greasy mess as Yota described).
Thanks guys. Will looks closer at it after a snack with the kiddo.

If you're talking about the voltage regulator type thing it's the points. It's in the pix. There's one with an arrow point to it.

Oh, btw, @Spook50 --- Obviously other things going on in your life, but any future prospects on the VR replacement?

If you're talking about the voltage regulator type thing it's the points. It's in the pix. There's one with an arrow point to it.
So the little dish shaped piece that sits vertical below that screw?

I think it's where the screw is, but I don't remember without seeing one... There used to be better pix, but they're gone.

VR.JPG

Last edited:
Oh, btw, @Spook50 --- Obviously other things going on in your life, but any future prospects on the VR replacement?
Unfortunately there's been nothing new recently. It's still on hold because of my living situation and the divorce. I'll find out at the end of October if I get my house back or not (cross your fingers for me). Finalizing the design and a marketable product is the first project on my list if things work out in my favor.

Has anyone had just the temp gauge spike? I'm fighting this same issue right now but my gas gauge is stable.

I'm burping the system daily and I just re ran the temperature sending unit wire and insulated it in some vacuum hose. It was very brittle and had a break in it.

I'm currently driving it almost across country and even though I know fluid can't be heated that quickly by the engine, my heart stops every single damn time. It peaks and comes down from the median temperature in 5-10 seconds.

Yes, it's scary to have the temp gauge spike like that because you never know if it's just the gremlin or the real thing, as the results of overheating could be catastrophic - Really, short of replacing the fuel gauge, an auxiliary mechanical temp gauge is the way to go.

Another fix is to install a 15 ohm resistor in the single green line to the temp sender (that you put into a hose). That's what one of the Land Cruiser specialty shops around here does. Seems to work.

I've also got my fingers crossed @Spook50 can find time and energy to finish his product :)

More description

Using a 7mm nut driver remove the 4 nuts and washers. View attachment 284736

Pics of it dissembled.
View attachment 284737

I believe this is where you clean with an emery cloth.?
View attachment 284738
View attachment 284736View attachment 284737View attachment 284738

RjFJ62, thanks for the step by step process. Awesome thread. This process fixed my "crazy fuel and temperature gauges". Now they register normally. Since I have the dash out I am also putting in some PIAA Xtreme white dash bulbs H-222E 12. They look awesome. I am putting a total of (5) bulbs in. Decided not to put them in the turn signal and engine light spots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom