Temp Sending Unit? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reviving an old thread.. Does replacing the fuel gauge with a new one fix the temp spiking as well?

IIRC, the fuel gauge units are discontinued, but there may be some around for FJ62s.

Far better and more accurate is an aftermarket temp gauge. @HemiAlex installed a simple digital electrical one that's pretty slick and easy. Maybe he can link to it.

They are discontinued. Just checked with my parts guy. Looks like I'm making another journey to the center of the dash to get it cleaned. I like the aftermarket digital idea, I just like the clean, stock look of the factory instrument cluster

Thanks for the link to this thread on the sticky - I'm reading through because my temp and fuel gauges have begun to spike fairly predictably while climbing long hills. While climbing, the temp and fuel gauge levels gradually increase, then suddenly spike right about the time I'm reaching the top of the hill. It's disconcerting to say the least. Driving up a hill, the accelerator pedal feels like a squishy hair-trigger that will make those gauges pop when pushed too hard. I can't remember any time that the gauges have spiked randomly - it's always been on a hill. During a recent long drive in upper 90F temps this happened more often than I've previously experienced.

Is it possible that a certain engine temperature range would trigger crazy gauge spikes? Have others had the experience that harder driving situations (that could realistically cause an overheated engine) are associated with gauge spikes?

I don't want to ignore actual cooling system issues and blame crazy gauges. I guess I'm worried that maybe I'm not worried enough (if that makes sense)!

I apologize for bumping an old thread, but figured this would be appropriate here. I had the engine temp. gauge problem (randomly spiking) and it looked like my fuel gauge was incorrect too (its appears stuck at 1/2 full). I pulled the fuel gauge and cleaned it with emory cloth as outlined above. After putting the gauge back in and driving the 60 around, the temp gauge now doesn't work at all. The temp gauge never moved from "C" and the fuel gauge stayed at 1/2. Any suggestions on where to go from here? I can't seem to locate a new fuel gauge without spending $75 for a used one. Are there any shops that I could send my current gauges in for repair? I'm really trying to keep the stock look of the truck, therefore aftermarket gauges aren't an option at this point. Thanks!

@mvisio
Your best bet at this time is to buy a used FJ62 fuel gauge. I put (a new one) in my old 60 and it fixed the problems. That was 6 years ago. I don't know if new ones are available anymore. The reason to go with a 62 gauge if you can find one is it's likely going to be fresher than a gauge pulled out of a 82 FJ60.

I replaced the temp gauge with a USED FJ62 Temp gauge back then too so they'd match. New ones weren't available back then.
The FJ62 gauges are the same as the 60 gauges, they just have a different (and better) dial face.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom