TechStream (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a handheld TechStream scanner. Does anybody have experience with one? I know I can do it cheaper but I want an easy set-up to carry with me.

Thanks,
Jim

I'm looking for a handheld TechStream scanner. Does anybody have experience with one? I know I can do it cheaper but I want an easy set-up to carry with me.

Thanks,
Jim

If you're looking for a handheld "TechStream scanner", and not just a handheld OBDII scanner, the best that I've been able to come up with, is an older Windows tablet. I'm currently using a "Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830", but I'd recommend something along the lines of a "Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130" to avoid having to deal with the OTG to USB adapter. Rough cost for a used/refurb tablet ~$100, plus the cost of a mvci cable ~$20 (and a bootlegged copy of TechStream)

My tablet is technically a handheld :) Touchscreen too, I have less than $200 in it.

Winbook + cable + software.
This is kinda what I am leaning towards... Looking at picking up a Microsoft Surface 2/3 used for less than $100. Has a 10.8" screen and is either touch or you can use a dedicated keyboard with it. @planomateo happen to know what the specs are on your winbook?

I've been using this for 5 years now if I had to guess. Prior to that I just ran techstream on an old laptop.

It's slow, but it works for my need. TW101, WinBook TW101 Tablet - Black - Micro Center -- 10.1" 1280x800 IPS Display; Intel Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz Quad-Core CPU; 2GB RAM & 32GB Storage; Windows 10 OS

An older Surface would be perfect for this.
Ok yeah that is pretty much the specs of a Surface 2 or even some of the earlier Surface 3 models. Hell you can easily pick those up with varying, non-critical issues for right around $100 (some of them you can even grab the SquareTrade warranty for another <$10). I have been watching a few online to see what average price the Surface 3 and Surface 3 PRO are going for, plan to pick one up at some point and will be a dedicated TechStream tablet.

Just curious.. With these techstream setups you are all referring to. Are you getting full capabilities with ability to do health check and enter utilites? Or is this more for codes and data?

Full capabilities.
That sounds like a deal! What cable do you use? My setup is a laptop with the knockoff mongoose vci cable. Running a legit Techstream license.

I'm using one of the $14 knockoff cables, with an old Windows tablet, full function, without issue.

(My Z3770 based tablet actually seems to perform better than the old XP laptop or XP VM on a modern laptop that I tried previously)

Last edited:
Wow might have to do this. I still cant figure out how to put it on my newer laptop. Thanks for the tablet heads up

Yeah I am currently using a buddies 7+ yr old 15” screen laptop with the VM that is provided in the Techstream thread. I will likely upgrade to a newer Windows tablet and purchase the newer version of the software from OBDInnovations.

Wow might have to do this. I still cant figure out how to put it on my newer laptop. Thanks for the tablet heads up

I ran across an "upgrade" to my existing tablet (a $67.00 Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 on eBay).

I'll have my kid document the install/configuration process, and post it in this thread.

I ran across an "upgrade" to my existing tablet (a $67.00 Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 on eBay).

I'll have my kid document the install/configuration process, and post it in this thread.

Awesome bro thanks

Document in this thread and also the main "HOW TO:" thread as well if you could please.

How much are you willing to spend? Those types of all-in-one devices can be pretty expensive

Toyota DENSO Diagnostic Tester

^^^^

Are you saying this tool will do (or nearly do) what techstream on a laptop will do? Like the OP, I would rather have something smaller and more intuitive than setting up a laptop or tablet. Not so much concerned with the cost.

^^^^

Are you saying this tool will do (or nearly do) what techstream on a laptop will do? Like the OP, I would rather have something smaller and more intuitive than setting up a laptop or tablet. Not so much concerned with the cost.
I believe so, but don’t solely trust my opinion I have been wrong before. But these devices are prevalent around dealerships and a similar one was used to turn off the fold-in mirror when locked feature on my friends 392 charger. You can ask your local dealer what features they can access with it.

Been borrowing my buddies laptop for the last couple weeks to play with Techstream. I will want to get a small 10”-13” laptop/tablet of my own that will be dedicated to this so really doesn’t have to be anything spectacular spec wise.
Been looking at the Microsoft Surfaces (Surface Go, Surface 2, Surface 3 non-pro), Lenovo Thinkpad (they are known to be practically indestructible) T-series or X-series. What is everyone using? I am liking the Thinkpad’s as they are pretty easily upgrade able but the Surface are SMALL and light.

Thoughts???

Not super active here anymore & I know this thread is a few months old now, but I'm searching for the same answers as OP. What's the best setup and sources for a dedicated techstream tablet/ laptop?

i.e. how does this look?
- $165 Microsoft Surface 3 Wifi 64GB with warranty
- The US made "Mangoose" knockoff cable (I've read about this but don't know where to buy the legit knockoff)
- techstream software from how to techstream in 5 minutes

OR should I just buy something per-assembled like this?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom