TechStream (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not super active here anymore &I know this thread is a few months old now, but I'm searching for the same answers as OP. What's the best setup and sources for a dedicated techstream tablet/ laptop?

i.e. how does this look?
- $165 Microsoft Surface 3 Wifi 64GB with warranty
- The US made "Mangoose" knockoff cable (I've read about this but don't know where to buy the legit knockoff)
- techstream software from how to techstream in 5 minutes

OR should I just buy something per-assembled like this?

Many of us have been able to get TechStream working on modern laptops without issue. Yes there is some setup that needs to happen, depending on where you get the software you may need to do a registry hack to get the system to properly recognize the cable.

The Other HOW TO thread is fairly active if you take the time to read it.

As for what it will work on, that is up to you, your budget and how tech savvy you are. That surface should work fine, I have mine running on a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 12 (S1) without issue. The "pre-assembled" is not necessarily that, it is simply a VM instance that is preconfigured with windows XP and the TIS v12.x.x on it already. You still have to install a VM software on whatever OS you are running (be it MacOS, Linux, or Windows10) and install the instance to the software VM.

With regards to the cable, it is up to you where you want to purchase. Many of us run knockoffs from different places. I would suggest getting something from OBDInnovations as it will come with a different version of the software depending on which cable you purchase, and seems to ship fairly quickly. But you can purchase any of the cable from Ebay, Amazon or where-ever you desire.

Not super active here anymore & I know this thread is a few months old now, but I'm searching for the same answers as OP. What's the best setup and sources for a dedicated techstream tablet/ laptop?

i.e. how does this look?
- $165 Microsoft Surface 3 Wifi 64GB with warranty
- The US made "Mangoose" knockoff cable (I've read about this but don't know where to buy the legit knockoff)
- techstream software from how to techstream in 5 minutes

OR should I just buy something per-assembled like this?

I’m running a Dell equivalent to the Surface 3, and it is plenty as a dedicated Techstream box.

I’ve had no issues with the inexpensive (<$20) Chinese mini VCI cables.

If you’re assembling a dedicated Techstream box, I don’t think that you’d want to use the “How to Techstream in 5 minutes” VM. (You’d have better results running it directly on the tablet.)

Last edited:
OK, I'll look at the other thread again and see if it has anything for me. I don't have time or desire to really hack my way into getting this to work. I think OBDInnovations is the cable source I was thinking of, so thanks for that! If I buy from there I get a cable/ knockoff software package right? Like that's what I'd need to plug and play (assuming I had a computer to run it on).

Appreciate the input guys. Looking for any opinions on the easiest way into this.

OK, I'll look at the other thread again and see if it has anything for me. I don't have time or desire to really hack my way into getting this to work. I think OBDInnovations is the cable source I was thinking of, so thanks for that! If I buy from there I get a cable/ knockoff software package right? Like that's what I'd need to plug and play (assuming I had a computer to run it on).

Appreciate the input guys. Looking for any opinions on the easiest way into this.
To answer your question, this is not really "Plug n Play" as there is setup and a bit of troubleshooting that has to happen to get it working properly.
But going through someone like OBDInnovations that offers the package of the software with a cable, their software comes with instructions on how to install and where to put different items. The software package comes with everything needed and instructions.

To answer your question, this is not really "Plug n Play" as there is setup and a bit of troubleshooting that has to happen to get it working properly.
But going through someone like OBDInnovations that offers the package of the software with a cable, their software comes with instructions on how to install and where to put different items. The software package comes with everything needed and instructions.

Cool, thanks so much!

In my experience, it’s not quite plug and play, but it really wasn’t very difficult if you can follow simple instructions.

Install the cable driver.
Install techstream
Edit a text file.

And like magic, it works...

My rig is a JHD 100. 2006 and so I have to use "Other" as setup. I can read pressures and see some stuff but can change very little .I can not even see trans temp. I have tried uing the US version and makes no difference.

My Foxwell NT510/530 w/ toyo software does a lot of active test and sensor readings for Toyo. Including AHC pressures. You can pick it up for <$200 and add up to 5 makes software for $60 each. I just posted some pictures of the screens on another thread. I'll find it and link it...
Here it is

Last edited:
An alternative to the virtual box solution, for a standalone TechStream tablet (~$100 for a used model on Amazon or eBay)

Install process for a “Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130” (a Windows Tablet running a 32-bit version of Windows 8/10)

Download and install Java (JRE) from https://www.java.com/en/download/
Download this Techstream.zip file: Gofile
Unzip the downloaded Techstream.zip​
Install driver for m-VCI cable that you extracted from the Techstream.zip file by running “Mini VCI Driver\MVCI Driver for TOYOTA-CABLE 2.0.1.msi”​
Install TechStream that you extracted from the Techstream.zip file by running “Toyota Techstream V9.30.002.exe”​
Edit “C:\Program Files\Toyota Diagnostics\Techstream\Env\IT3System.ini”.​
Change the line that reads “TISFunction=1” to “TISFunction=0”.​
Save file and exit.​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom