teatnus sow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tetanus Sow

first try with the mobile app. thanks for looking
ForumRunner_20130324_215832.jpg

ForumRunner_20130324_215918.jpg

ForumRunner_20130324_220004.jpg

ForumRunner_20130324_220032.jpg

ForumRunner_20130324_215832.jpg

ForumRunner_20130324_215918.jpg

ForumRunner_20130324_220004.jpg

ForumRunner_20130324_220032.jpg

Last edited:
I bought this with a locked up motor. I then purchased a 2f with a 4spd, with the newer style transfer case. I pulled the cam and sent it for a KC delta cam grind and bought a weber 38 for it. Notes on doing that include needing a new ebrake cable, and new drivshafts, longer in front and shorter in rear, use the F waterpump, make sure to relocate the clutch fork and slave to the passenger side before install, it won't clear the floor on the driver side. Then I cut the bad front fenders and made patches, cut the rockers out and made new rockers, cut out the front body mounts and inserted a piece of box tubing and made new mounts and floor, cut open the rear 1/4s and drove a piece of box tubing across the rear from side to side, made new mounts, made new 1/4s and welded in. I went to repin the front door hinges and found the mounting points on both front doors cracked and blown, so I cut those and welded in new mounting points. I beat out the front of the front fenders and am ready to try to coat those. Beat out the roof, still need to do more and reinstall the gate, that spring assist is trouble by yourself. I have a 4' piece of steel welded to the hinge and I still am going to need help. I am a bit discouraged, as everything I touch seems to need a lot of work.

Gmayer,

I just read everything you've done so far and it's alot, so don't get discouraged. Just keep at it, the hobby of fixing old stuff up, takes plenty of time and effort. We won't talk about the money thing. :)

thanks for the encouragement ron!!

I am looking for some rearview mirrors if anyone has a set, I need the whole set for both sides.
Thanks

It can and often does get discouraging when you start out to fix one thing and uncover more and more that needs a fixin...

It's often been said on this forum that when those discouraging times come, and come to us all they will, it's best to take a break for a week or month. I'm on one of those breaks now and just driving my pig around town a with a big smile. That helps a bunch for me at least...

I'm 18 months into my resto and yes I've sunk some $$$ into it. Most of us are into it for the joy of the build and not looking to make these trucks pretty because that isn't realistic. I doubt that 99% of us with a pig can ever say "well, I'm all done now..."

Just drive it as often as possible...

It can and often does get discouraging when you start out to fix one thing and uncover more and more that needs a fixin...

It's often been said on this forum that when those discouraging times come, and come to us all they will, it's best to take a break for a week or month. I'm on one of those breaks now and just driving my pig around town a with a big smile. That helps a bunch for me at least...

I'm 18 months into my resto and yes I've sunk some $$$ into it. Most of us are into it for the joy of the build and not looking to make these trucks pretty because that isn't realistic. I doubt that 99% of us with a pig can ever say "well, I'm all done now..."

Just drive it as often as possible...

Happened to me too, I just kept my work area clean and organized and worked on it 1 hour a night. A couple of beers while working helps the fun factor too.

Tetanus.

-Skillet

sorry about the spelling, I am not allowed to edit my posts. can someone correct the sp pls.

I just wanted to post some more pictures. I know seeing others work and progress is the reason to visit ih8mudd. Thanks for the encouragement!

1971 fj55 007.jpg

1971 fj55 008.jpg

1971 fj55 007.jpg

1971 fj55 008.jpg

Got the edit function figured out!! Guess the cat is out of the bag now, I am a moron.
First movement tonight, since i towed it into the garage in Feb.
I went up and down the driveway tonight. I have a pretty long and steep driveway and the KC grind seems to make quite a bit of power. I haven't driven a landcruiser in about 15 years when I did a fj40 with 33's, so it is hard to compare. I am going to keep the heat on this project. I am on my 4th coat of filler, hopefully 2 or 3 more and I can prime.

I wanted to share my solution to the bent roof supports or roof bows. My roof was bent in due to snow load at some point. I beat it out and with the right amount of force I could get it to go back down. I really didn't want that happening after i painted. I looked at making some factory style roof supports, but it really seemed like a lot of work for something that is going to be hidden by a headliner. Bob would make them, but, once again a lot of work means a lot more than I wanted to spend on them. I just took some 3/4" Conduit, EMT and bent it up to match, and put a sleeve of 3/4 split pipe insulation over it. I then just hammered the ends flat and welded them in. I straightened the front bow by layiing on my back and putting my feet on the bow in several spots and pushing. I cut the rear one out, replaced it with conduit, and then added two more, one right by the back of the rear door, and one halfway between the factory rear bow location and the rear of the truck. I feel kind of stupid posting this, because it is so simple. Hopefully it helps somebody out. I have been doing body work since the last post, and will hopefully be priming soon. I'll post some pics when I am ready to prime, before and after. The prep process really takes so much time. I have also been scraping the headliner insulation glue. the best method I found is a standard paint scraper, sharpened on a grinder. it still flexes a little and if it is sharp it really helps.

Nice idea on the roof supports. When the time comes for mine, I'm thinking of building a support frame work out of square alum, tubing. I think the hardest part, for me so far, was scraping that glue off the roof.

Good job on the metal patching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom