Tall skinny research 255-85-16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Enhance…

280A5E66-CA55-4368-AE16-EECEC56CFE59.jpeg

Looks like 16 to me.

Falken has released their AT4W in 255/85R16. I just bought the Cooper's about 6 months ago. Sucks because I really liked my AT3W. Anyway, spread the word and let's keep this size supported.

Falken has released their AT4W in 255/85R16. I just bought the Cooper's about 6 months ago. Sucks because I really liked my AT3W. Anyway, spread the word and let's keep this size supported.
I also JUST bought a new set of Coopers (235/85–now with three peaks!) which means I’m good for another 50k miles—might’ve jumped on these if I’d realized someone was making an AT in 255/85…

It’s a very popular dually truck size. We good.

What is so exciting about this?

View attachment 3553442
It’s exciting because 1) the falken at3w has earned a great reputation, hopefully the at4w will be even better, and 2) there aren’t a lot of options in this size, especially in an all terrain. Really glad to see falken supporting the 16” wheel.
its exciting for us with 16 inch wheels.
i wish was E rated though, our cruisers are heavy and i dont know if C rated tires would hold up well
I’m really interested in the C range tires. I’d certainly be willing to give it a try on my 100. It doesn’t do much serious off road work since I got the 80. Would love to have a lighter tire option.

It’s a very popular dually truck size. We good.
True. Forgot about that application. Still would be good to support an AT in this size.

Before you gals/guys jump on the tire bandwagon, suggest search for availability in that size.

Reason: I was entertaining buying cooper at3's 295/??/r16 for my rig. Seeing how there were only 4 of those tires in the state of CA, I elected to go with 285/75/R16. NOTE: that as of today, the 285's seem to be out of production. tires for the 16" wheel (wanted the most sidewall as possible for low pressure running) are fading away:(

Before you gals/guys jump on the tire bandwagon, suggest search for availability in that size.

Reason: I was entertaining buying cooper at3's 295/??/r16 for my rig. Seeing how there were only 4 of those tires in the state of CA, I elected to go with 285/75/R16. NOTE: that as of today, the 285's seem to be out of production. tires for the 16" wheel (wanted the most sidewall as possible for low pressure running) are fading away:(
This sounds like conjecture. Would you mind sharing more information? Do you have any specific insight into the tire industry?

It’s exciting because 1) the falken at3w has earned a great reputation, hopefully the at4w will be even better, and 2) there aren’t a lot of options in this size, especially in an all terrain. Really glad to see falken supporting the 16” wheel.

I’m really interested in the C range tires. I’d certainly be willing to give it a try on my 100. It doesn’t do much serious off road work since I got the 80. Would love to have a lighter tire option.

Looking at the stats, the 255/85 C rated is less than 4lbs lighter than the 285/75 E rated. I would have expected a bigger difference.

I'm really intrigued by this size but I’m afraid they may make my 100 look like it’s been skipping leg day. Regardless, I’m very glad to see options out there for us.

Every size I've seen in the new Falken is heavier than its predecessor. I chose 255/80's AT4's on my Tundra because of lighter weight at 52.5lbs each. AT4's are 58.1.

Last edited:
Looking at the stats, the 255/85 C rated is less than 4lbs lighter than the 285/75 E rated. I would have expected a bigger difference.

I'm really intrigued by this size but I’m afraid they may make my 100 look like it’s been skipping leg day. Regardless, I’m very glad to see options out there for us.
When I initially mounted the 255/85's I was not happy with the look. I didn't want to run spacers, but went ahead and committed to them. With spacers I think the 255's look great, but that is just my opinion.

@Nightbrew I would like to see your rig with the 255s and spacers. That’s what I was thinking about doing as well. Currently I’m running 285/75 on the factory 16” wheels, no spacers
IMG_6653.jpeg

This sounds like conjecture. Would you mind sharing more information? Do you have any specific insight into the tire industry?
Conjecture correct.....with personal experience as stated above....cooper seems to have abandoned the 285 r16 group per their website coupled with the low availablith of the 295/r16 at the time of my purchase of the 285's (1+ year ago). this on a pavement friendly at.

Why would cooper (usa made tires) do such a move in the most car centrice, most populous state in the union.....answer....fade away.

very similar to what I saw in the toyota 60 world....unoptanium parts....fade away.

very similar to the 15" tire size...fade away.

btw: this is starting to happen to the 100 series (unless you happen to be able to fabricate engine critical pieces):-(

question: do i ride the fade wave (60 still in the garage) or.....

Conjecture correct.....with personal experience as stated above....cooper seems to have abandoned the 285 r16 group per their website coupled with the low availablith of the 295/r16 at the time of my purchase of the 285's (1+ year ago). this on a pavement friendly at.

Why would cooper (usa made tires) do such a move in the most car centrice, most populous state in the union.....answer....fade away.

very similar to what I saw in the toyota 60 world....unoptanium parts....fade away.

very similar to the 15" tire size...fade away.

btw: this is starting to happen to the 100 series (unless you happen to be able to fabricate engine critical pieces):-(

question: do i ride the fade wave (60 still in the garage) or.....
Not to start an argument but I found 285s on coopers website. I’m not saying you’re wrong, and I agree that the choices for 16” wheels are dwindling. Maybe the inventory numbers are generated based on location, so maybe they just don’t have that many tires in California.

285/75-16 Tires | Cooper Tire - https://www.coopertire.com/en_US/tires?tireFinder=true&prefn1=width&prefv1=285&prefn2=aspectRatio&prefv2=75&prefn3=rimDiameter&prefv3=16&isPLP=true

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom