Tall skinny research 255-85-16 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am ready to get rid of the 285/75r16's and get back into a 255/85r16. I enjoyed driving my 100 much more with narrow tires but I did not love the aggressive tread patterns that were available. Now that Falken has introduced a real AT in god's chosen tire size I am excited to get rid of the heavy steering wheel feel caused by the 285's. Anybody want five cheap 285's? :hmm:

Not to start an argument but I found 285s on coopers website. I’m not saying you’re wrong, and I agree that the choices for 16” wheels are dwindling. Maybe the inventory numbers are generated based on location, so maybe they just don’t have that many tires in California.

285/75-16 Tires | Cooper Tire - https://www.coopertire.com/en_US/tires?tireFinder=true&prefn1=width&prefv1=285&prefn2=aspectRatio&prefv2=75&prefn3=rimDiameter&prefv3=16&isPLP=true
my error, I was talking specifically about the cooper xlt at3's.

Banzai brings up good points, though CA is the most populous state with climates from buried (snow) to desert & everything in between. Plus, typically, they have more $/family than a majority of states and the car culture....

another factor is maybe they are too popular and have not run another batch, highly doubtful but you never know in the post covid era (see mountain bike industry disarray).

Last edited:
w/r to the falken vs the cooper's we are talking about, I think the coopers are a better at tire on the pavement (where 90% of us spend the most time....excepting patch). this due to less tortuous water egression both along the tire's path and perpendicular to tire path. No data to back that up, just the similarity (kinda sorta) of tread pattern to street tires.

that's not my story and i'm not sticking to it :beer:

@Nightbrew I would like to see your rig with the 255s and spacers. That’s what I was thinking about doing as well. Currently I’m running 285/75 on the factory 16” wheels, no spacers View attachment 3553960
Here are a couple. If you need something specific, let me know and I will try.
IMG_3542.jpeg
IMG_3543.jpeg

Looks good @Nightbrew. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom