Tailgate rebuild / reseal on a 73’ FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Blastservices

SILVER Star
Threads
My tailgate was not opening when I purchased my 55’. The key switch didn’t work and the seals were all wasted. Some folks live with mediocre assembly of their vehicles and that’s fine but I need things to work and operate like they should.

first thing that I did was to diagnose the key switch. Well, that was easy! The internals were missing that made the contact inside and I purchased one from a user and it was nice!

The best part was I have my original keys so I swapped my cylinder into the new to me housing which was slightly nicer and made it operate as it’s supposed to.

While the regulator was out I took a minute and cleaned the inside and applied some 3m undercoating. It’s a little nicer and thicker. Installed a new tailgate handle seal, new lower tailgate seal, new upper seal for the glass and have the outer seal (scraper) but at the moment I’m missing the the two metal strips the sandwich that seal and waiting to obtain those two. The inner felt trim that the glass rides on is also new. That’s not as easy to install as one would think. But I got it first try with all the hole drilling. You just have to measure three times.
All of these items I purchased from John @ slocruisers.com he was also nice enough to assist me in finding the inner felt scraper. I purchased it from Restorationspecialties.com and it’s part number YM169XP-96-WIN
You can call in and ask them to manually enter the order and ask for us t to be cut in half and save on oversized shipping.
THANKS AGAIN John!!

1E11C5BF-CB84-485C-91D5-234F5780C062.jpeg

I’m short the little rod that operates the lock stop. As the regulator lowers it hits a small arm and moves a swinging lever on the center tailgate mech that prevents you from opening the door handle when the glass is up. I would really REALLY appreciate if someone has one and is willing to sell it. I guess I could make it but it sure would allow me to continue messing with other stuff while I’m suppose to be doing other things at work. Please reach out if you have that or the two strips of metal that sandwich the real scraper seal!

F9D07468-72B3-400C-B8A8-A9BA04E5A844.jpeg

Very good work and information. Last time I checked that terminal strip was still available in case you want to upgrade yours. IIRC it wasn't very expensive.

So this part YM169XP-96-WIN is stocked in 96" sticks. Are you saying 48" is long enough? I'm not near my pig or I would measure myself. Thanks

Very good work and information. Last time I checked that terminal strip was still available in case you want to upgrade yours. IIRC it wasn't very expensive.

So this part YM169XP-96-WIN is stocked in 96" sticks. Are you saying 48" is long enough? I'm not near my pig or I would measure myself. Thanks
thanks!

what’s a terminal strip?

yes, 48”will cover you for the rear and you can use the rest on your side glass

Glad that switch worked out for you. Such a nice pig for it’s new home.
Really appreciate it. Now if I can just get some movement on the last two items for it I need I can wrap it up and call it done!!
Anyone!?!

Last edited:
For whatever reason, that piece of linkage or spring or whatever it is that goes there ends up missing from EVERYONE’s window driver assembly. Don’t be surprised if it takes a while for one to emerge.
It’s something that could be made but spending time and doing algebra on it isn’t ideal.

In the picture below, are the chrome pieces on either side of the opening what you need ?

View attachment 2765449
The chrome from what I can tell is the felt channel. It’s on the inside of the tailgate. The two flat bars are on the outside seal across from the felt channel. Probably need a screwdriver or panel popper to get the clips out. I believe they are silver maybe in color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom