tail light fuse blowing after HID install. STUCK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went to leave for florida and got pulled over, no tail lights.
Fuse blown and replaced with new, it pops instantly with headlight switch activation.
I removed all six rear bulbs, and fuse still blows at switch activation.

I thought at first it was me working on the back hatch as I was wet sanding above the tail lights.

Now I thing I haven't had tail lights since I installed HID;s from lightwerkz. The are the bi xenons.
Everything works as it should, dash, brake, instrument, back up, license plate, all lights work normal except for tail light.
I can see the pop at the fuse when I turn the headlights on.

I'm at a loss, I should be on I10 at the moment. I don't think there is another fuse or relay, not sure.
thanks for any advice

Jerry

copy of email to lightwerkz.

Hi, I was wondering if you've ever had anyone come back with a tail light fuse issue after install. I just realized I haven't had tail lights for a while now.
My tail light fuse pops instantly when I turn the headlights on.
Everything else works great. All lighting works well. I'm pretty sure it's my install of the new relays. I just wonder how it coincides, is the bi xenon aspect of things affecting a 15 amp fuse for tail lights. Is it bleeding over on the circuit?

Thanks for any help

Post a pic of the connections. A wiring harness properly hooked up should not affect the electrical system.

Did you check the trailer hitch wiring for a short?

Did you check the trailer hitch wiring for a short?
That's on my list. I still need to check out the ewd, I'm going to direct wire without the relays and check again. I also don't know if I was driving around without the tail lights since install about two weeks ago. I don't think so but it's possible.

So there is a tail light relay somewhere correct? Wiring diagram says there is I just don't know where it is. My license plate lights and tail lights are out

I saw your other thread before I saw this thread. Can you remove the HID lights and return to stock and try to fix from there? On a 98 (at least) the fuse that handles the tail lights & license plate lights also powers the dash lights and front running lights. Did you happen to nick a wire up front doing your installation?

I removed the HID relays and and +12 and -battery lead all together. It still leaves me with a way too hot tail light fuse slot that pops instantly. The license plate lights are non existent.
dash lights, all interior dome and door lights, turn signals, brake, hazzard, they all work fine.
Ceaser from light werkz is helping me also. I emailed Pfran about any LED weirdness that I might not understand., no LED in the rear light up at all on the tailgate.
I'm taking out the LED assemblies from the tailgate today and chasing grounds in the front of the car.
One of the fog light grounds is front left facing the car by my morimoto relay mounting point. I'm checking that stuff also.

My fog lights are out but the fuse isn't hot. Right now I don't care about that. I know they worked before the install.
Right now it's just pick my poison, remove the fuse box engine bay, or lower cowl drivers side for the tail light and fog relay.

I don't know if I love the truck more than my girlfriend, who I have to drive to get her eyebrows colored and take them to painting with a twist later. Personally I'd pick being able to drive in the dark over eyebrow painting. I'm sorry, I'm venting.

so In techstream you can trigger the tail light relay, here's a pic. I'm not toyota mechanic but I assume this means is done for. All the other active tests show either on or off. This fluctuated between .84 and .87 although that shows illumination rate info, before you click it it says tail light relay. I assume it's neither on nor off.

IMG_20170414_105513.jpg

Sounds like you have a dead short somewhere. I would start by disconnecting all the stuff you installed and see if the fuse still pops. That would at least tell you if your factory harness is ok. Then plug everything back in one at a time so you can isolate the culprit.

I did that first off, with the headlights. Then rear outboard tail and rear inboard tail, and license plate lights. All removed at the moment. Checked again and fuse still pops.
I'm getting after the tail lamp relay behind lower cowl driver's side right now. Assuming that's where it is. If that tests good, and (I have a spare) doesn't fix it. I'm moving to look under the fuse box and separate that. I have a tail relay and a headlight control switch, far as I know that would be it as far as failures go. I'm not 100% sure though.
*doesn't appear that there is anything wrong with towing set up. Actually it looks as if it was never used. I doubt it was*

so it's the side marker/turn signal bulbs or sockets that trip my fuse. Everything is fine until I add the second side/running/signal socket. One side marker is fine, tail light fuse doesn't blow. Add #2 and the fuse blows.

Last edited:
just for the sake of closure. Everything is wired right. I have all the lights back.
What I'm left with is that the front side marker/blinker socket trips the tail fuse. Doesn't matter which side is plugged in to it's connector. Having one plugged is is fine. If I plug the second one in it immediately trips the tail fuse.
I think this is an easier/ or known issue. Ceaser is helping me out. There's 4 or 6 pages in the paper wiring diagram to go through. I won't clutter the board any more. Thanks

Last edited:
Next step should be to use an ohmmeter to check for continuity from the positive terminal at your turn signal socket (or which ever one is tripping the fuse), to ground. You should have no continuity or open circuit. This will tell you if you have a short. If not, you may have an overloaded circuit.

I think not, only because they work independently no problem. Tail light fuse pops when both front turn signal sockets are connected, but not one or the other.
You could be correct though. That's what I'll check next.
I'm putting up relevant pics of wiring diagram if someone has opinions.

LAST edit. So it turns out I had a bad bulb somewhere out of the six in the outter tail housings. They looked good on install but today I replaced them all and everything is fine. Didn't have anything to do with the HID install or tail light relay or anything else I messed with.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I just went through something similar and it turned out that one of my new Depo headlight came with a turn signal socket that was blowing my fuse.

Thanks for this post, it put me on the right path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom