Tachometer stopped working intermittently on lx470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The tach on my 2005 LX has stopped working intermittently. It may have something to do with bumpy off road. It comes on and then it eventually goes off and so on. Anyone know what the cause is and fix is? All other instruments worked perfectly

I'd start by pulling the lower trim piece under the cluster (black panel with dimmer switch) and make sure the two plug connection screws are tight.

I'd start by pulling the lower trim piece under the cluster (black panel with dimmer switch) and make sure the two plug connection screws are tight.
So there is a plug in the back of the tachometer that is held on by two screws?

Pull the lower trim piece off and you'll see two screws in each lower corner. These tighten and cause the plugs to connect or disconnect if you ever need to pull the cluster.

Edit: added pics. Pull the piece circled in green (sorry, on my phone) straight out with the steering column angled down. You'll be able to see the two screws in the white rectangular housings below the instrument cluster.

20170113_220345.jpg

20170113_220105.jpg

Last edited:
OK landylover21, that was easy! The two big silver phillips screws are not tight. They just continue to rotate with very little torque. They will not snug up. Should they? What should I do? One question, so there are plugs under there for the dash instruments, but what are the odds that only my tach would stop working intermittently if these plugs are not tight? Everything else works.

Some folks have reported this issue being linked to the other gauges not working. See the below link for a further description and pretty much go down the rabbit hole.

fuel gauge always says empty

My gauges are wonky at times and sometimes even have the issue you describe as well. The sum of all the advice I have heard and the advice from a friend who works for Lexus is that there is an issue with the dash and lexus will fix it but not individual gauges rather the whole dash for.. around $1k. They ship the whole cluster out so as to maintain the integrity of the miles. I'm not looking to scare you and I hope your issue is much more simple but just passing along info that I myself learned as well.

Keep us updated because if the info given by the members here works for you I want to try on mine as well.

Well it's not bumps. I took it apart has described the tach was working. Turned it off came back out an hour later started the car and the tach is not working. I'll take a look at what you sent thank you but what I need is a wiring diagram to check for loose connections to the tachometer and the tachometer alone. Everything else works perfectly. I suppose it could be the tachometer itself failing.

Well it's not bumps. I took it apart has described the tach was working. Turned it off came back out an hour later started the car and the tach is not working. I'll take a look at what you sent thank you but what I need is a wiring diagram to check for loose connections to the tachometer and the tachometer alone. Everything else works perfectly. I suppose it could be the tachometer itself failing.

here you go

Search Results for Query: gauge cluster not working | IH8MUD Forum[node]=26

I've done the search a few times and I believe there is a diagram somewhere in there.

Thanks I'm driving right now soon as I get home I'll look at this. There's also probably somewhere that repairs these that maybe I can call and get a hint without paying $1,000.

Good news is if one instrument had to fail this is the one I would choose to live without.

Those screws don't tighten to where they stop turning. They suck the cluster onto the pins in the dash and then pass through the captive nut. Keeps someone from tightening it down to where it cracks.

Thanks. I see some other black small screws there. If you remove those can you pull the cluster? What does it take to pull the cluster? I'm not sure what's back there but I want to make sure there's not a loose connection at the tach itself

Sorry, was at work and forgot my phone.

My friend's 06 LX did the same thing and seemed to cure itself after a few months.

If you pull the steering column trim off and undo the connection screws and a few others (can't remember where) you can get the whole cluster out. I'm going by memory from when I did my LED upgrade four years ago.

Yeah, his would work for a few weeks, and then taunt him for a week, this was on and off again till it finally decided to work, and it's worked for the past year now haha.

Well lets hope I have the same gremlin. Meanwhile, I found some wiring info. The wire to the tach is black, and comes off the ECM which is behind the glovebox. I have not gone in there yet.

Well folks I think I have bad news. Upon closer inspection on Startup, it appears to be the tachometer itself has a problem. When you start the engine you can see the needle jump slightly and you can hear a noise as it attempts to move. Sometimes the tach functions perfectly, and sometimes it does this. I will call one of the repair places in the next few days and see what they have to say. You can pull the entire cluster and they will repair it for about $300. That sounds like an enormous pain in the ass.

Well folks I think I have bad news. Upon closer inspection on Startup, it appears to be the tachometer itself has a problem. You can pull the entire cluster and they will repair it for about $300. That sounds like an enormous pain in the ass.

Yikes, that sucks. Pulling the cluster isn't really a PITA but having to wait while they're fixing it sounds like a pain.

I asked my friend last night and he said after a month or so it seemed to self-heal itself and has worked fine for a year and a half. I also asked him what kind of problems he had and he had jumping needles, and gauges that would die randomly then fix themselves at the next startup.

Hmmm, any water leakage anywhere under the dash?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom