T100 or land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have been searching for a land cruiser for awhile to replace my T100 as my daily driver. I have a very tight budget due to being in college and I may be getting engaged soon. The T100 has 322k on it and is in need of new tie rod ends and new cv axles and maybe new ball joints soon. I have a ton of time and money already invested in my truck that I know I'll never get out of it. Even if I get another land cruiser I will keep my truck for around the house and just drive it every once in awhile. I'm afraid that with my budget I will only be able to find a cruiser with issues and will end up in the same boat as I'm in with my truck. So my question is should I just stick with my truck and do what I've been debating (SAS) or just leave it how it is and get a cruiser? The truck does have only about 10000 miles on a rebuilt transmission and only 200k on the motor that runs like a top but it needs body work due to getting in a wreck last year

Budget?

If I get a cruiser I really want to try to stay under 7k and if I do put money into the truck I want to try to stay as close to 3k as possible but it'll probably be more like 4k

You can get a good cruiser within your budget. As any cruiser owner will tell you, it all depends on what you want to do with it. What does a cruiser do that your T100 won't do? Is that enough to justify the purchase and monthly insurance? If an Axle swap will allow you to do everything you want, it's probably cheaper than buying another vehicle. If you want to go places a T100 won't go, buy an 80 and sell the truck. As a soon to be engaged college student, 2 4x4's isn't very economical and your eventual wife will likely not be on board (if she says she doesn't care, she's either lying or she is bad with money. Either way, proceed with skepticism.).

What model cruiser are you wanting?

When looking on craigslist remember to look in places like Atlanta and charlotte. Lots of lx450's and cruisers owned by city boys with minimal off road use. No reason you can't get what u want for 5k and put 2k in it in repairs or accessories.

I'm really wanting an 80 because of the off road capability stock. The issue with selling my truck is I doubt I would get what I would want for it. The main advantage would be that I would have 8 seats so we wouldn't have to sell her car or mine to upgrade in the future for more room (she just got a 2007 4Runner about 4 months agobecause her truck was hit and was totaled luckily his fault).

I just don't think I could ever let the truck go due to not even the money but the amount of blood sweat and tears went into it and the memories it holds. The advantage is I could sas it then do upgrades later on so it would be a lot less initially

Keep the truck. I always liked the t100.

Had a T100 same color and ext cab as yours but a 5 spd. It was a good truck. Had an 80 as well, I would strongly suggest test driving a few or borrowing one for a few days. IMHO unless you are rock crawling or doing some very serious offroading you don't need a solid front axle. I really think its the hype and or internet envy. Would I like to have a SFA under my 4runner, mmmm maybe, but when I think it through it just doesn't make sense on what I need or use it for. They definitely drive nothing like a IFS truck for comfort. Now if it was a serious offroading rig over 50% of the time then I would say maybe. I know I have done stuff that gave me plenty of pucker factor in our 4runner and I cannot imagine feeling comfortable doing anything much tougher where I would need a SFA.

Skip the engagement and get a $5k 100 series. Then spend $2k on baseline maintenance. You will never regret it.

Yup. $5k 100 series gets my vote
IMG_1330.JPG

Sas the t100 later...... or that tundra :grinpimp:

80 front axle prices 1000-1200 elocked
Half of that open.

Id say get open carrier axle, add part time hubs, add aussie locker to go locked on the cheap.

Haha good eye on the tundra @jfz80 that's actually my dads work truck. Do for those of you that were following or made a comment a appreciate all the advice I think I've made a decision based on starting a second job. Since I will be commuting a lot lately and 13 mpg isn't exactly going to cut it due to having to fill up close to 3 times a week I decided to keep the truck for now. It'll stay stock for the most part and I'll start saving for an 80 but I'm going to get a dual sport probably a xr650l or similar for DD duties. I'm not new to motorcycles/dirt bikes and I think this will end up saving me money that I can put towards an 80 or 100 later on.

For right now I'm holding off on the 80 @Twinair. I decided with how many miles I'm doing driving between school, home, and my two jobs during the week. That riding a motorcycle that's gets 60mpg and was going to make more sense. I also didn't realize but I just got a klr250 last week and insurance is only around $120 for 12 months. All the money I save will be put to a nice 80 in the $10-12k range in a year or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom