Suspension Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SHERMAN FJ62

Charlestons' King of Cruisers
Threads
My 04 GX is stock truck and the PO replaced the rear air springs with new ones. I have approx 165k on the truck. Like the suspension on the truck and have three other cruisers for off-road play. My issue is sometime when I hit ruff or bad pavement the truck really shutters from front to back. This can happen at hwy speeds all the way down to 30 mph. The setting for the springs changes it somewhat but sometimes feels like I am running across a washboard road or the suspension is just too stiff. Otherwise the ride is very good. The ride seems to be upset by those unexpected bumps. The front and rear suspension don't seem to be leaking. Is this just the nature of the truck or is this a sign of a sensor or something else going bad?

Thanks

Bad shocks. Are they original? Sounds like no dampening.

Check the distance between the frame mounted bumpstops and the axle. It may be that the "normal" height needs to be adjusted up to keep the axle from bottoming out on larger bumps.

Thanks I will check it. The shocks don’t seem to be week but they maybe

I would bet bad shocks. The air ride really bounces and does weird things without dampening. Mine had the same issue when I bought it. The airbags were working but the shocks were gone. It was so bad the previous owner thought the transmission was slipping.

I would bet bad shocks. The air ride really bounces and does weird things without dampening. Mine had the same issue when I bought it. The airbags were working but the shocks were gone. It was so bad the previous owner thought the transmission was slipping.

How did you fix it?

I wager....new shocks!