Sunny Belly Pix (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

desertdude said:
kevin, really inspiring work!

That would be Brian's work, I just shoot the pix! :D

Silly Putty? It's really just primer mixed real thick to apply with a spatula. We don't use that stuff for any serious work. Some use a thick coat of primer to smooth out sanding scratches and stuff. You're supposed to sand off all the primer before painting, but nobody does. If you see an older repaint that is peeling look close. It's the primer that peels, not the paint. Primer-surfacer makes a soft layer under the paint that helps it chip and peel. Learned this stuff in a Mercedes shop where we used very little primer. It is only for areas that have been repaired. Then you sand off 90% of it. I put primer on real thin with a spray-bomb, then add "silly putty". Then I sand all of it off before painting.

xrock said:
Simply amazing transformation! When you're done, want to do a little work on my 62 imperfections? :D
Maybe! Don't know if I will have so much time anymore. I'm not so independent now, being gainfully employed and all. It puts a kink in my style! Also buying a house in Prescott. Need to spend some time there. My window for playing with such stuff may be closing. I'll see what I can do.

I agree- That's why when I get some help I ask questions and watch carefully so I can do it myself next time. :cheers:

xrock said:
I agree- That's why when I get some help I ask questions and watch carefully so I can do it myself next time. :cheers:
Agreed. As a loose-cannon thought, it might be an idea to have a basic dent repair clinic somewhere. A way to teach the tricks. Maybe at Kevin's tool shop? Just an idea.
If you can fix a dent, you can wheel with less worry.

i would be more than happy to host this dent repair clinic at my place, and i would love to use my '76 as the subject, it has two perfect imperfections for examples of trail damage. one is a dent right on the corner of the rig, and the other is a troublesome scrape at the door seam.

This would be a good thing. It requires time. I am finding less of that lately. Being twice gainfully employed does that. It also requires a supply of compressed air and a supply of elbow grease for all concerned (of the Anheiser Busch variety). Tools I have and can show. Supplies necessary include various abrasive materials, body filler (I have a little left), primer, spot putty, and matching paint. A small dent on a small panel could probably be repaired in one day to demonstrate.

I would be up for learning body repair, as I have a few dents and panels that need replacing. We also might be able to use my companies shop as long as nothing is going on and it is over the weekend. I already use a ton of bondo in my line of work and have gotten very good at forming it to existing lines in props I have built. I hope this works out, it would be a great piece of knowledge to know.

Cantinero :beer:

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Last edited:
Brian,

Yeah I know how things are "supposed" to be done, but I also know how alot of people "do" things. And nothing scares me more than than seeing those tell tatle red spots. I didn't mean to question your skills at all. It was more like a just checkin kinda question. Actually there is something that scares me more than the silly putty, and it's the site of a giant can of pink plastic worms poking through the back side of what seems to be a straight body panel on the outside.

-Oh and BTW a doesn't make it right in your case, just some food for thought there amigo. -

I thought it was hilarious! Come back any time SF.

Great bodywork Brian. Thanks for throwing out that tip about the primer. I never knew about that after all these years of throwing paint on top of primer, then having the paint peel after hitting it with a pressure washer. Suddenly, it's all so clear to me.

You just couldn't resit could you! Can't you see that there are more then just a few of us on this board that don't find your posts "witty" nor "opinionated" but see them as just a BS platform for you to submit us to your retalitory ways and crude thought process. Not amused, not funny, just sick of it and you. BTW, I thought you said you were no longer posting to this board any longer. You can't even follow through on that shallow promise now can you?

This is between you and your Pharmacist so leave me out of it! I was just making a light hearted joke, if you can't laugh it off or get over it don't respond..

Last edited:
This thread was started to show the rehab of a deserving and damaged truck. There is another one somewhere for insulting comments and similar replies. I forgot where I saw it, but if that's your M.O. you are probably familiar with it. Let's just stick to subject here.

I'm going to have to side with you Macgyver, there's no call for that... Man, some people, I try to comment honestly on the great work he did and mentioned black because I see painting something black as the true sign of a great body man and I add a little joking around to it and boom I get slammed again... What can you do, some people just wanna pick a fight around every corner and that's why I edited my follow up comment to not further that up tight BS....

Thanks for the comment!

Your right Brian sorry for the hijacked post. I think you have done a great job and sunny belly is quite worthy of this thread less the BS. I will edit my post.

I still would like to learn the body work, if the offer is open.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom