Summer road trip to L.A. and back (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've got a job in L.A. on the 10th of July and I've decided to take my boys for an epic southwest road trip. We'll be hitting Carlsbad caverns, Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, Zion, etc. Anybody have any great spots/hidden gems they'd suggest hitting while out there?

So I've got a job in L.A. on the 10th of July and I've decided to take my boys for an epic southwest road trip. We'll be hitting Carlsbad caverns, Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, Zion, etc. Anybody have any great spots/hidden gems they'd suggest hitting while out there?

The SW parks are brutal in the summer. We are National Park hoppers. We have bagged about 70% and plan on bagging them all.

Zion is my favorite.

If it were me......beat it hard through Texas because it is hot as hell this time of year.

Go as fast as possible to Carlsbad. Carlsbad to Guadalupe Mt National Park. Quick Hike knocks that park out.

Up through Roswell....kids will dig it.

Santa Fe....to Canyonlands. Do the south park and go to Elephant Hill. Best easy trail and puts you in the most unreal sections of the park.

Moab

North Rim of the Grand Canyon

Zion. If you can make it happen, plan on hiking the narrows. You have to get a shuttle to do it but it is the best. May be too hot this time of year but you are in the water most of the time.

From there, stay north and go into CA via Tahoe.....

I would kill to do this.

Hmmm...I just saw the LA part......taking the cooler sections via Moab/Zion ect will take you way out of the way but that will be the only way to enjoy that part of the country this time of the year.

It is just really too hot to enjoy Arizona and New Mexico in the summer.

I recommend canyon de chelly. i toured it when my fj60 was bone-stock. you have to have native guide ride along and there is an entrance fee. lots of riverbed wheeling and crossings amidst some super cool canyon scenery and ancient ruins. its mostly in the shade of the canyon and under the cottonwoods so it aleviates the heat some.

Hmmm...I just saw the LA part......taking the cooler sections via Moab/Zion ect will take you way out of the way but that will be the only way to enjoy that part of the country this time of the year.

It is just really too hot to enjoy Arizona and New Mexico in the summer.

qualify, the high country in both of those states is usually quite pleasant in summer.

White Rim in Canyonlands can be done in one day in an 80 - fantastic scenery

Capitol Reef - check into Burr Trail as the most interesting option

Kodachrome Basin should be reasonably cool this time of year - cabins are an option

just some ideas . . .

Thanks- Been about 15 years since I covered this area in my FJ62-also in July. Kids have never been west of Santa Fe. Apart from L.A., we'll be camping the whole way.

Plan so far is to haul straight across Texas to Carlsbad and either up through Roswell and to L.A. via 40 and hit the south rim of GC or stay south and maybe hit Joshua Tree. Haven't seen Roswell or Joshua Tree. Been to South Rim. After L.A., planning on going through Vegas and doing Hoover Dam, then on to Zion. At this point I can either go north to Capitol Reef and then on to Canyonlands, or stay south and hit the North Rim, Antelope Canyon/Lake Powell and then up to Canyonlands. Opinions on the north vs. south route? After Canyonlands it's haul a$$ back home. Canyon de Chelly sounds cool, but not sure I can fit it in. Hopefully we'll make it back to the area with the whole family in about 4-5 years when my younger two are old enough.

We have really enjoyed the Cloudcroft area and White Sands National Monument park. Both within 2 - 3 hrs of Carlsbad.

Joshua Tree...I have been twice and unless you are a rock climber it is not worth the stop. The kids would MUCH prefer the gondola that takes you to the top of San Jacinta Mtn in Palm Springs. It is awesome and cool up there.

When you go to Vegas, go see Hoover then go up Hwy 169 to Valley of the Sun State Park. Looks like Mars. Kids will totally love it. You have to go that way to get to Zion.

Zion is amazing. I have not been since they started making it Tram only in there. I again say the best way to see it is hiking the narrows. Look into it.

From Zion....North Rim is wonderful. Not the grand vistas you get in the south but 1/10th the tourists.

Lake Powell is fine if you are a boater but if not, skip that. Go to Canyonlands and Arches. Both amazing. Very amazing.

Roswell is funny but not much so don't plan a lot around it.

I'd like to buy one pocket-sized Grogan tour book, please.

Nolen, have you thought about writing a book of all your journeys? I'd read it.

That is why I like the internet....instant gratification/sharing.

I am ready to do some traveling.....I am looking forward to Will getting a bit older to do some cool s***.

I have done just what Ron has done before....drove all the way to San Diego and hit a bunch of cool stuff along the way.

Wait until I start laying out his I-10 food safari. :bounce:

Nolen, we'll have to trade road trip stories one day. Excited to get back to Zion, and didn't make it to Canyonlands last time, so it's a priority. I've seen a lot of this stuff, but trying to pack in all the big stuff for the boys. The work in L.A. part is really cramping my trip...

Probably cutting Carlsbad to spend more in Zion/Arches/Canyonlands since I can get back to Carlsbad in a days drive. I know they'd dig it, but we'll probably do it as a long weekend trip later this year.

I think that is a wise choice. Carlsbad is cool but really a checked box compared to those other destinations.

LA also has some great stuff to do. I like to go full-on tourist when I am out there and do the Venice beach, Hollywood Drive, Mulholland Drive, the Hollywood Bowl and stuff. Labrea Tar Pits are cool for kids.

I too want to repeat most all of these destinations with my kids in tow.....

Off the beaten (ie tourist) path but worth seeing: if you happen to take I-40 along old route 66 between Albuquerque and Gallup you will pass route 117 which heads south just before the town of Grants. A short side trip up this road (ca 20 minute drive) will take you along the edge of the Acoma reservation to the sandstone bluff overlook. This is a small park with amazing rock formations overlooking the vast sea of lava known as el malpais national monument. Taking an hour for this is well worth it. I you have more time you can continue up route 117 another 5 miles or so, go off road and do a 4 hour loop on "chain of craters road" through the lava and volcanic cinder cones to come out on ice caves road (hwy53) (you can visit the ice caves and climb the volcano if you want) turn right and head back to I-40 (ca 30m drive). This is where I grew up.

Top-of-the-World Drive is also worth it in LA

I like the Getty Museums, too

Safe travels Ron. Yall have a great trip.

Cool!!! Ron, cell is 601-862-3491. Call or text when you are on I-10 for food stops. I got em.

Musts: Mary's is Strawn TX (east of Ranger), Rudy's Arlington or El Paso. Blake's Lottaburger (only in New Mexico)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom