Substitute for ARB Solenoids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking that one of my ARB solenoids is going to fail when I need it most....on the trail. Sure, I could always buy a spare to carry with me, but I am wondering if anyone has come up with a more innovative way for dealing with a failed solenoid. Anything else on the market that can replace the original? Do these solenoids generally fail in the "open" or "closed" position? Maybe they will live longer than me, and I have nothing o worry about!! Any opinions or suggestions?

Don

I would not worry about it....but that is just me.

I have spares of many things with my truck, as I do not like to be broken and not able to play because of something simple or custom.

When they "fail" they fail to open, so, they would "fail" in the closed position.

:beer:

I've never had one that failed electrically. I have, however, had the black plastic threaded plug that secures the solenoid loosen up and fall off. I check both of them often. It only happened once with my first ARB installation and neither of them has come loose since. Strips of double sided Velcro makes sure they won't back out.

I have had a few go out on me, weird I guess because I don't think it is a common thing. I decided to go to a completely pneumatic system and like it a lot. basically I have a line that runs from my co2 tank to an air block where it is dialed down to the proper psi, then to the air switches and then to the lockers.
welder 005.jpg
welder 004.jpg
co2 rear rack 001.jpg

Our POWER-GATE solid-state relays takes the place of mechanical solenoids, but have no moving parts. Unfortunately, they're fairly expensive in comparison to tradional relays. Benefits include a solid-state design, ability to be turned on-and-off with one-thoundth of an amp, typical resistance of 50 to 100 millionths of an ohm, and ability to switch up to 500 amps with no arcing. Detriments are cost....high performance comes at a price. If you're willing to compromise, other options are available at more moderate prices.

Except that these have nothing to do with switching electrical power, you moron. Nice try, though. Amazing all the places you pop up attempting to sell your stuff.

(And a little more ON topic... Guppie, are those the switches from Gulf Coast Rovers? I'm looking for a pneumatic switch like that to switch vacuum -- ideas?)

Any industrial supply company will carry all types of solenoid valves. Call around and look for something from FESTO, SMC, or my personal best is Numatics. Best part for the Canadian deisel guys is that most industrial solenoids run on 24V. I have also seen 12V before. The ARB soleniod is a very simple and common configuartation compared to other manufacturing valves available.

Curtis

I bought replacements from Mac Valve, http://www.macvalves.com/products.htm. Part ID# ”DDBA-4BA, 12VDC, vac. to 120PSI". Much cheaper that ARB.

I cannot find them on the web site, but a call to them or a local dealer should help you out.

Jerry D.

Well jackass, the term "solenoid" is often used interchangeably for either switching electrical power (relay) or for doing work, like pushing or pulling, often called an actuator. You have a problem, I tried to solve it. Apparently it wasn't what you were looking for. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

polarweasel said:
Except that these have nothing to do with switching electrical power, you moron. Nice try, though. Amazing all the places you pop up attempting to sell your stuff.

(And a little more ON topic... Guppie, are those the switches from Gulf Coast Rovers? I'm looking for a pneumatic switch like that to switch vacuum -- ideas?)

Atazman, I check out this switch I got off of a feightliner https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=103933 . Its fully pneumatic, and is made for locking the rear axles together. Its back lit as well, and has a cool little lock tab you gotta push inorder to move the switch. I'm gonna try and get another one so i can have one for both axles. Let me know and I'll get the part number off of it.

Alternative Solenoids

Thank you guys for the leads on alternative solenoids. I will take a look-see.

Your responses are appreciated.

Don

polarweasel said:

I used clippard switches, www.clippard.com, they have a bunch of them and they are cheap, all the lines and fittings you can find at industrial stores like mcmasster carr.

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom