Stuck wheel cylinder piston- neat trick (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finished rebuilding three out of my four rear wheel cylinders on my 2/71 FJ40. Of course, the fourth and final wheel cylinder piston and adjuster were stuck and would not come out of the cylinder. I tried putting it in a vise and using leverage to break it free, penetrating oil, compressed air, freezing the cylinder and then placing it in hot water, and a combination of the above. Still no success. I then found an online discussion about using grease. The discussion advised that grease guns could generate anywhere from several hundred pounds of pressure to several thousand. Sounded good to me. I went out and bought a package of zirk fittings and screwed them in the brake line and bleeder holes. One would act as a plug and the other would be where the grease would be injected. I then began pumping grease into the cylinder. After several pumps, the piston slowly pushed out of the cylinder. Once out, I removed the rubber cups and spring. (For some reason, the plastic spring seats were missing). I was then able to push the adjuster out with a press. It goes without saying that all the parts need to be thoroughly cleaned in the parts washer and with brake parts cleaner prior to reassembly. I was fully expecting the inside of the cylinder to be pitted and corroded, but that was not the case. Unfortunately, my rebuild kit does not contain the plastic spring seats. Now begins the search for the plastic seats... nothing is ever easy...

20180624_110837.jpg

20180624_110842.jpg

20180624_110904.jpg

Saw a video on YouTube where a dude plumbed a grease gun with oil in it and a check valve to a hydraulic cylinder. He managed 1500-1700 psi using the hand pumped grease gun. Kind of like a poor mans Porta-power!

Forgot to mention, I even tried using a torch to break the piston free before using the grease method (for those who may have been wondering).

Man that woulda saved me a ton of time on my 71. I probably spent hours battleing mine. Thanks for posting that BigDogg.

Finished rebuilding three out of my four rear wheel cylinders on my 2/71 FJ40. Of course, the fourth and final wheel cylinder piston and adjuster were stuck and would not come out of the cylinder. I tried putting it in a vise and using leverage to break it free, penetrating oil, compressed air, freezing the cylinder and then placing it in hot water, and a combination of the above. Still no success. I then found an online discussion about using grease. The discussion advised that grease guns could generate anywhere from several hundred pounds of pressure to several thousand. Sounded good to me. I went out and bought a package of zirk fittings and screwed them in the brake line and bleeder holes. One would act as a plug and the other would be where the grease would be injected. I then began pumping grease into the cylinder. After several pumps, the piston slowly pushed out of the cylinder. Once out, I removed the rubber cups and spring. (For some reason, the plastic spring seats were missing). I was then able to push the adjuster out with a press. It goes without saying that all the parts need to be thoroughly cleaned in the parts washer and with brake parts cleaner prior to reassembly. I was fully expecting the inside of the cylinder to be pitted and corroded, but that was not the case. Unfortunately, my rebuild kit does not contain the plastic spring seats. Now begins the search for the plastic seats... nothing is ever easy...

View attachment 1729892

View attachment 1729893

View attachment 1729894

What thread size was on the zerks, and where'd you get them?

What thread size was on the zerks, and where'd you get them?
I picked them up at Napa. They weren't perfect, but they were sufficient for the job. I wrapped them with Teflon tape just for kicks. If someone know of a better fitting, hopefully they will chime in.

2018-06-25 09.17.13.png

Called around and nobody has rebuild kits that contain the hard plastic white spring seats. Does anybody have the guts from an old unusable REAR wheel cylinder that would fit a 2/71 FJ40? All I need are two of the plastic spring seats. PM me if you do. Thanks!

I have a cylinder off of a 77 you can have, if it would work. I can send the whole thing. I’ve not had them apart so not sure of the status on the inside though. PM if you could use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom