Stuck in Alaska - Blown 3F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Looking for any suggestions, advice, or contacts.

I’ve been on the road with my FJ75 (one day I will get the build thread up to date). It’s at 516,000km on the 3F. I was tempted to do a full engine overhaul before I left, but time and money decided otherwise.

On the Top of the World Highway between Chicken, AK and Dawson City, Yukon, I suddenly had a loss of power, really rough running (sounded like misfires), and then my worst fear was some metal on metal clanging sounds. This all happened within the span of 30sec.

After a compression test that had some big variations (50 on Cyl 1, 130 on Cyl 6), I dropped the oil pan and found it full of what look to be bearing pieces. It also appears the crank counterweight was making contact with something on that first cylinder (leaving behind lots of metal dust) and it must have gotten super hot because it is bone dry.

So now, I’m parked in Tok, AK. I’ve got a good mechanic here who is willing to help out and knows his stuff.

But I suppose I’m looking for leads on a 3F long block that I could find some way to get up here. I’ve been told a 3FE long block would also do the trick, but I am confused about what I would with the EFI stuff from a 3FE.

Any and all help would be appreciated before I have to become a winter resident 🥶

IMG_7463.jpeg

IMG_7465.jpeg

Top of the World Highway is one helluva place for this to happen. Sorry for your troubles. Call Mark Whatley at Cruisers Only in Wasilla. He's our Land Cruiser guru here in AK and is a great guy. I recently visited his shop on an interior road trip. He has a lot of old Cruisers in his yard. 907) 373-3789

Top of the World Highway is one helluva place for this to happen. Sorry for your troubles. Call Mark Whatley at Cruisers Only in Wasilla. He's our Land Cruiser guru here in AK and is a great guy. I recently visited his shop on an interior road trip. He has a lot of old Cruisers in his yard. 907) 373-3789
Oh awesome! Thank you for the contact!

Your best bet for a quick and effective repair to get you home would be to find a complete running 3FE from a FJ62 or FJ80 and use the short block with your cylinder head which is likely not damaged, the 3FE cylinder head wont work with your carburetor manifolds.

Your best bet for a quick and effective repair to get you home would be to find a complete running 3FE from a FJ62 or FJ80 and use the short block with your cylinder head which is likely not damaged, the 3FE cylinder head wont work with your carburetor manifolds.
Oh okay. This is exactly what I’ve been trying to verify! Thank you. That sounds pretty doable.

Call Mark at Cruisers Only. I head to do the Dempster hwy Friday hopefully leaving from Anchorage. Don’t think I can fit a whole engine in the back but maybe a short block, if you can get a short block that I can pick up Friday I would be willing to haul it to Tok. Message me if you find out more or would like something else brought up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom