Sticking throttle or something (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
Recently I've been experiencing occasional high idle on a 2F with stock carb and linkage. It would be noticeable after having been driving then with the clutch in as the idle would be sticking at 1500-2000 rpm. Lifting under the throttle pedal or tapping it would drop the idle to normal. Something has been sticking. I checked for an obstruction along the linkage and but found nothing interfering with the linkage. I then checked the gas pedal and found some play in it. A pivot bolt with nylon bushings connects to pedal to the base and I noted that the bushings seemed to be worn. I've attributed this to the sticky, high idle condition. I've swapped out this old with a lower mileage, less older pedal with tighter bushings and expect this to have cured the issue. Haven't driven the 60 yet to check it.

Went to my local Toyota to purchase replacement nylon bushings but they're not available separately.

A photo of the mounting bracket and pivot bolt.

IMG_1505.JPG

I've had this exact condition on and off. It's a bit annoying to keep jamming my fit under the gas pedal to alleviate the throttle. I'll be watching this thread with interest. Good luck!

Ive had this problem, it could be the spring inside the bracket. When they get old they don't return the pedal to its proper position.
It may feel ok when you twist it with your fingers but when you compare it with new one there is a definite difference.
Spring is available to the best of my knowledge. part number 90508-29017

I knew there was spring somewhere.

Short drive this morning and the throttle operated smoothly. More testing to come.

FJ62 pedals have a spring-loaded mounting base. This one pictured is actually a hybrid 60/62 pedal when I installed a 3FE into the FJ60.

IMG_1506.JPG

Same thing happened to me on my trip home from FL to MT. I've never experienced this until I got into freezing temps. I attributed it (guessed) to road spray and moisture coating the linkage and freezing over while the pedal and linkage are held in the same position for extended periods of time.
First time it happened it really freaked me out. I had been cruising for about 2 or 3 hours at 55+ steady and hit an exit ramp. Instinctively came off the gas and put the stick in neutral. RPM's took off, sounded like the truck was trying to run away on me, and it took about 2 -3 seconds of "WTF is going on???" before I jabbed the gas pedal and brought it back to normal...noticed nothing out of the ordinary when I visually inspected everything. Hasn't really happened on any short grocery-getter trips, so..... I dunno.

Top pic shows dirt, clean it and 3-in-one oil it. See how that works..my 2cents Ive done that on other vehicles with sticky linkage and it helped.

Short drive this morning and the throttle operated smoothly. More testing to come.

FJ62 pedals have a spring-loaded mounting base. This one pictured is actually a hybrid 60/62 pedal when I installed a 3FE into the FJ60.

View attachment 1400621

That's a spring in bracket

Top pic shows dirt, clean it and 3-in-one oil it. See how that works..my 2cents Ive done that on other vehicles with sticky linkage and it helped.

The dirt is superficial and not the source of the problem. I pulled the pedal assembly apart and the bushings and pivot bolt were clean plus the pedal moves freely but with slop. I think there was enough wear on the bushings to allow some occasional minor misalignment that would cause the linkage to stick.

My 60 gets used and any lubricant in the footing area would be a bad idea. I can only see oil holding more dirt or grit. Dry graphite may help but I still think that the worn bushings are the problem and not an increase in friction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom