Builds Stevo's 6BT60 Build Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I never thought about that. Can I drive a vehicle that is registered to panama in Costa Rica and have it insured? I will have to talk to you/ learn more about panama's regulations and laws. .

Dunno the insurance part .. but will find it .. coz I don't see any restriction about that ..

CR it's one of the biggest market for our second hand cars ..

Good luck with whatever you decide Stevo!

Thanks man.

Dunno the insurance part .. but will find it .. coz I don't see any restriction about that ..

CR it's one of the biggest market for our second hand cars ..

Great, keep me posted. I would love to have this truck with me as long as it doesn't cost me way to much to have brought down.

Great, keep me posted. I would love to have this truck with me as long as it doesn't cost me way to much to have brought down.

drop a mail to tapage at 4x4panama.com will send you Lawer contact that will let you know more about this ( importation to Panamá )

Sorry about the lack of updates,

Everything has been going great down here in CR, and in the meantime I have been doing a lot of thinking and have decided to put the truck up for sale.

It is a hard choice to make, but in the end it makes the most sense.
I want someone to be able to enjoy the truck and I cannot do so in CR.
I will be back in the states from Oct 12th to Nov 2nd, During this time If i could get it sold It would be great. If not I will have to wait until the next trip to try and set something up.

Here is a basic description of the truck for those that have not read my entire build thread:

1987 FJ60 Body
Rust Repaired
Quaterpanels Chopped
Front Fenders Modified
Rear Storage / Sleeping Platform

1990 FJ62 Frame
Custom Front Bumper
Cummins Engine Cradle
NP205 Cradle
Shock Crossmember
SOA with 52" Hybrid Spring Pack up front
3/4 Ton 63" Chevy Rear Springs
Bilstein 7100 Shocks Front and Rear

1992 Cummins 6BT
60mm WH1C turbo housing upgrade
M&H M2 Fuel Pin
M&H Timing spacer
3200 RPM Spring
PYRO, BOOST, H20 TEMP
Frozenboost Intercooler
Rear Freeze Plug Upgrade
New Saginaw Power Steering Pump
Hydroboost Brakes
New Alternator
Dual Batteries
Grid Heater Delete
Block Heater

???? Clark 280VO Medium Duty TransMission 2WD
Modified Getrag Bellhousing
4 Button Clutch
1.5" 10 Spline Input
1480 Output

???? Dodge NP205
Twin Stick Conversion
1410 - 1410 Front Driveshaft
1480 - 1410 Midshaft
1350 CV - 1410 Double Cardan Rear Driveshaft

1992 Dodge D250 Dana 60 Front Axle
Spartan Locker
Hy-steer Arms and new 1 TON TREs
New Calipers and Pads
Roughstuff HD Diff Cover

pre-87 14 Bolt Rear
13 Bolt Crane-Hi-Clearance Cover
Shaved
Disc Brake Conversion
New 3/4 Ton Calipers, Pads, Discs
Grizzly Locker
37" Military Tires

That is what I came up with, there is probably even more that I have forgotten. Also included with the truck are all of the fluids, gasket sets, extra parts and also a Warn 8274 Winch and sliders I made but never installed.

This truck has one of the strongest foundations I could think of. I know I will not get back what I have put into it, however the experience of building it was worth every second. I want it to be enjoyed, I am getting married and staying down in CR so I know I will not be able to drive it the way it deserves to.

I am asking $17,500 OBO

:frown:

GLWS Stevo and be safe down there in CR!!

Thanks Johhny, I know you have been watching this since the beginning. It means a lot to have people that have been always there with advice.
I will probably end up using the money to buy and build something down here. Gonna keep it Toyota :)

Well, that is to bad you won't be taking it to CR. I would say drive it down (since I have done that a few times) but it is not really a truck for that kind of road trip! Shipping costs money plus you have the importation/reg fees. You can find a sweet truck in CR or better go over to Panama, hook up with Tapage and buy there. Trucks are a lot cheaper in Panama. Either way I am sure you will find a good rig and enjoy life down south. I am jonzing for a trip south and also really want to move to Latin America.

Cheers

Playas del coco. Over by Liberia on the guanacaste peninsula.

damn pretty far away from Panamá .. :D actually I don't like the dark sand .. but Coco Beach hotel used to be plain and simple awesome !!!!

have fun there .. ( I'm sure you will ! )

Stevo, I've been off the mud grid for a while and am just catching up on your move. Sorry to hear that you are selling the beast but I do understand. You will probably have another project up and going before you know it. I've been told that if I don't have a project going I'm hard to live with and a huge part of my conversion was just saying to myself that I could do it. Most of the real joy experienced in the cruiser was had the day we first drove the coal roller out of the shop. I hope you find something to do in CR that gives you that same feeling!

For all those who have supported me over the course of the project I wan't you to know that I have once again returned to landcruisers.

I am in the process of purchasing a 1977 BJ40 here in Costa Rica and will be starting a new thread over in the 40 & 55 Series section

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/793798-stevos-bj40-buildup.html#post9040562

Hopefully I will receive as much support with my new project as I did with the last one.

For all those who have supported me over the course of the project I wan't you to know that I have once again returned to landcruisers.

I am in the process of purchasing a 1977 BJ40 here in Costa Rica and will be starting a new thread over in the 40 & 55 Series section

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/793798-stevos-bj40-buildup.html#post9040562

Hopefully I will receive as much support with my new project as I did with the last one.

See ya there..!

J

No 60 series .. !!!! :frown: ( yeah I know I'm selfish )

I know. I miss my 60. But there are tons of 40's down here so it's easier to pick one up.

I know. I miss my 60. But there are tons of 40's down here so it's easier to pick one up.

I know and they usually take better care of Cruiser ( cars in general due prices on new ones ) than we do here in Panamá ..

Well since I still have the truck to go home to in NJ I decided to modify the military tires to get some more performance out of them. After a couple of hours with a torch and a chisel I came out with two tread patterns I want to run on the truck.

I then proceeded to take them for a test run out back by the creek and have to say that the performance increase is well worth the effort of cutting them.

I decided to go with a "Paddle" type cut for the rear tires and a sorta staggered cut for the fronts. I have to admit I am pretty happy with the way they worked, not nearly as good as those 43" TSLs though.

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

Just out of curiosity what pulled the trigger for you not shipping the 60 down their? Maybe i missed it somewhere in your thread.

The main reason for not shipping it down is the hassles of getting it through customs and all the issues that can come up. It's nothing like getting things shipped around the states. Also surprisingly it's not street legal down here even though it was in NJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom