Stereo head unit question: Anyone with a Pioneer DEH-80PRS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1996 Land Cruiser. Just did the Pioneer TSG speakers in the front and rear doors. Plan on bypassing the factory amp and getting a new h/u.

Was looking at the Pioneer DEH-80PRS h/u. My question is...with the speaker configuration the way it is (pioneers in the doors and factory speakers everywhere else, bypassing factory amp) will the special components in the h/u (ie 24-bit converters)be utilized or is it overkill for my planned configuration? Will it sound that much better than the majority of h/u's out there that are more in the $100-$170 range?

Also, if i get the metra adapters for bypasing the amp, is there anything special that needs to be done to take advantage of the DEH-80PRS features?

If you have a good head unit like the Pioneer in question, I would run new speaker wires to your aftermarket Pioneer speakers. That way you dont need to mess with adapters and bypass the factory amp all together.

The dash already has wires to go directly to the factor speakers and that is what I used. I did get an adapter kit like the one you mention and it was easy to install.

Once you bypass the factory amp, which was causing me all sorts of other issues like blowing my dome fuse, your head unit will work just like it will in any vehicle where it is wired directly to the speakers.

One thing I did learn yesterday when I replaced those rear roof speakers is that when you remove the 25 Ohm 1W stockers, energy is split much more evenly between the roof and rear door speaker. I am not liking that sound so will put an 8 Ohm resistor on the roof speakers to create a voltage divider and put more energy through the door speakers. That should also bring the Ohm load on the head unit back to 4 Ohms where it is spec'd to run.

Frank

Seems overkill for the basic pioneer speakers. I went with the Pioneer DEH-X3910BT and it works great.

The acoustics of the LC are not ideal for a great stereo system.

Any head unit with decent wattage will provide ok results. Speaker placement in the LC is horrible for great results. Just find high efficiency speakers to go along with the head unit, 91+db/1w minimum.

Hertz speakers are a good all around speaker. Also Eminence mids with Alpine Type R Tweeters is a good set up too with a small subwoofer.

The only setup I would try in my LC would be a SPL system for decent sound. However I'm not willing to give up my cargo space for that.

My previous hobby was SQ stereo systems. Here's a few pics of my daily driver.

IMG_3010.JPG

IMG_3017.JPG

IMG_3095.JPG

IMG_4661.JPG

So, I am starting to like the new rear roof speakers as they are. I might still add the resistors, we shall see. Adding them basically dropped the mids and reduced the effect of a speaker blaring in your ear that I had with the pass side rear door speaker. Now there is more "space". Once I adjusted the EQ I achieved a much warmer tone through the system. I am going to replace the smaller dash speakers and see how that goes. So far the JVC seems to be Ok at 2 Ohms.

I have a Kicker sub 11HS8 Hideaway where the old sub was and hearing more of the sound, not just the bass, coming from the rear of the truck helps it sound better to my ears.

The roof speakers I used are Pyle PLX32's which required me to massacre the roof speaker brackets due to the size of the magnet. I still haven't adapted the covers but intend to do so to make it look cleaner. So, they are good small speakers but be prepared to get creative when installing them.

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom