Stella: Giving life to a FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ocho77

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.op-art.guru
I received this FJ62 in a barter with another MUD member quite a few years ago. He had pulled the engine and rebuilt it. Long story...but that engine ended up going into my wife's FJ62, "Urkel", which has it's own thread.

Needless to say, the truck was pretty nasty inside. We cleaned what seems like decades worth of crap out of it. Most interesting find was a 15 year old can of sardines...

IMG_0967 (1).jpg

The body is in decent shape and the frame is solid. According to the plate, the last time it was registered was 2012 in Alabama.

IMG_0968 (1).jpg

This truck has been sitting next to my barn for about 4 years now. It was originally going to be a project with my now 14 year old daughter, for her to drive when she gets her license. I made the mistake of offering the 80 to her, since she loves it, and she quickly snatched that idea up. So, it's sat on the back burner for years, and I finally decided to do something with it. I searched off and on for a 3FE, but most of the prices I ran into were more than I wanted to spend.

This summer I found a donor somewhat locally that was used to haul people around an off-road park. Body was shot, but it ran great with only 137k miles on it. It is not street legal, so I trailered it home.

IMG_4004.jpg

Plan is to pull the engine, refresh it with a bunch of new parts and stab it into "Stella"

The interior will need some work...and a lot of cleaning:
IMG_2929.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

I like that it has manual windows and locks. A much better dash has been secured to replace the current torn up dash.

This past week I was able to get the parts truck into the barn and pull the engine. That's always a treat., since I basically have zero idea what I'm doing. It usually entails much bourbon and many texts to cruiser people smarter than I.

IMG_4807.jpg

Got the pressure washer out and removed as much mud and grease as I possibly could.

IMG_4830.jpg

I spent much money on parts, thanks to George, CityRacer, and McGeorge Toyota....

IMG_4889.jpg

Pretty sure every single gasket, seal, hose, and clamp that are available have been purchased, along with all the other standard fare.

Once the engine was fairly cleaned up, I painted the block. It looks like crap, but better than it previously did. It's not going to be a show truck anyway.

IMG_4890.jpg

Had some trouble getting the distributor out, but thanks to a quick search here, a block of wood and a hammer did the trick!

Removed the valve cover and it there was no sign of a gasket on there...not sure how that happens.

Removed the side cover and the gasket is no bueno. Hard as a rock. Started scraping it off the cover, and that was slow going. Will do a search for removing hardened cork gaskets.

I have a fully dressed 3FE I want gone if you need parts.

I have a fully dressed 3FE I want gone if you need parts.
Thank you, that's very kind! I will let you know if there is something I need!

Finished painting the engine and got the distributor back in with new rotor and cap...hopfully it's correct. I took pictures with the cap off prior to removal and attempted to re-install the same. Painted the side cover and installed it with shiny new hardware, along with a new gasket. Next is to remove the oil pan, clean it up and install with new gasket. Once that is done, I'll start putting everything back on the engine.

The bolts on the exhaust manifold studs are stripped. They've been soaking in pb blaster for over a week, and still no bueno. Also, the exhaust manifold heat shields were rusted, so will need those...and maybe the entire exhaust manifold if I can't get the nuts off (so to speak) @Gimme a 60 .

IMG_4969.jpg

Finally got the truck in the barn with some good ole fashioned redneck work. Took a old set of stock wheels and cleaned them up a little bit.

IMG_4823 (1).jpg
IMG_4823.jpg
IMG_4825 (1).jpg
IMG_4826.jpg

Purchased some new tires and had them installed. Went with some Falken AT Trail, which I had not seen before. Got them home and mounted on Stella.

IMG_4974.jpg

Whenever I am working on one of the trucks, my youngest wants to be there to help. She's usually out there trying to do anything I'll let her do. It tends to make tasks take twice as long, but it's worth it to me.
376224396_10160634606240272_499579954844358664_n.jpg
378116733_10160634606295272_7855092753625515566_n.jpg

She's also a giant goofball, which I thoroughly enjoy.

IMG_4817 (1).jpg

Whenever I am working on one of the trucks, my youngest wants to be there to help. She's usually out there trying to do anything I'll let her do. It tends to make tasks take twice as long, but it's worth it to me.
View attachment 3447669View attachment 3447670

She's also a giant goofball, which I thoroughly enjoy.

View attachment 3447671

Keep the kids interested!

Enjoy the help from the kids while it lasts - they may learn a thing or two.

Also, be Careful because the daughter may become a LC addict when she’s 16….

Finished painting the engine and got the distributor back in with new rotor and cap...hopfully it's correct. I took pictures with the cap off prior to removal and attempted to re-install the same. Painted the side cover and installed it with shiny new hardware, along with a new gasket. Next is to remove the oil pan, clean it up and install with new gasket. Once that is done, I'll start putting everything back on the engine.

The bolts on the exhaust manifold studs are stripped. They've been soaking in pb blaster for over a week, and still no bueno. Also, the exhaust manifold heat shields were rusted, so will need those...and maybe the entire exhaust manifold if I can't get the nuts off (so to speak) @Gimme a 60 .

View attachment 3447661

I will sell you any 3Fe part I have. Let me know.

The bolts on the exhaust manifold studs are stripped. They've been soaking in pb blaster for over a week, and still no bueno. Also, the exhaust manifold heat shields were rusted, so will need those...and maybe the entire exhaust manifold if I can't get the nuts off (so to speak)

Unclear about which studs are stripped. If it's the studs for mounting the exhaust to the exhaust manifold and you are going to replace them use these from an 80 series. Hex end makes installation easy.

1696528543955.jpeg

Unclear about which studs are stripped. If it's the studs for mounting the exhaust to the exhaust manifold and you are going to replace them use these from an 80 series. Hex end makes installation easy.

View attachment 3447926

Yep, thanks! I plan on replacing them with these from the 80 series. Did the same on my wife's 62. The studs and nuts that are currently on the manifold have apparently not been off in 30 years. It's awesome :)

Keep the kids interested!

Enjoy the help from the kids while it lasts - they may learn a thing or two.

Also, be Careful because the daughter may become a LC addict when she’s 16….
That's the plan! The 7 year old already loves cruisers and says she wants Stella to drive. My plan is to sell this truck when I am done with it, so that's not going to work...but she'll probably end up in a cruiser :)

My 14 year old starts driver's training next month and she is inheriting the 80 series. She is super excited to work on the truck and learn. This summer she rebuilt the front axle, installed new PCV valve/grommet, new hoses, seat gears and an accelerator cable. She has been awesome. She does it all on her own, I just hang out and help if she has questions. My mother-in-law asked her what she wanted for Christmas, and my daughter told her she wanted truck parts.

315898910_10160007066875272_3741581991237066298_n.jpg
316007523_10160007066800272_8818637189060338338_n.jpg
316127078_10160007065680272_2980151423240436933_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom