Steering sway! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lots of places to look
leaf spring bushings
U bolts
tie rod ends
center arm
steering box
toe in
air pressure in tires

Adding to the above. Drag link, bent shackles, rag joint (steering coupler), bent relay rod.

I'm in the process of totally redoing my suspension and steering.

Check Cruiser Outfitters for your parts needs.

My 1974 FJ40 has quite a bit of sway during driving. The steering wheel feels solid, but the rig sways a bit. Any suggestions?
Doing a reverse shackle kit will help a lot.
I did mine myself when I first learned to cut and weld in college. When I was finished, I repacked the wheel bearings and had it realigned was the best decision I ever made. It tracked much better and did not follow the ruts in the highway from the semis.

I also rebuilt the center pivot, but the bushings were not that wore.

When it was my daily driver long highway drives wore me out and would take two days to drive from South West Wyoming to Portland, OR.

When it was my daily driver long highway drives wore me out and would take two days to drive from South West Wyoming to Portland, OR.
It's a Cruiser, anything more than a trip to the grocery store is a Lewis and Clark expedition. Time, and now that gas is back to punish the populace prices, money, is all it takes to go somewhere.

I sure like the reverse shackle kit idea! I've checked CCOT, SOR, and JT Outfitters. Does anybody have some input on pros and cos for the kit used?

Tell us your set up and preferably post some pictures. Do you have a lift? Lift Shackles? Tire size? New to you truck or something that has just started on a truck you have driven?
A shackle reversal is a lot of work.
As 3_puppies posted above, it could be one of several issues or a combination of all of them.

Shackle Reversal Gee Whiz Information: There was the guy who did a shackle reversal kit, had slip yoke on the front drive shaft almost closed at ride height, so when he hit a hard bump, front diff traveled rearward because of shackle reversal, slip yoke fully closed, then totally cracked the transfer-case- - -installer beware!!!!!!!

I'm running on new Grabbers, 33's. New front stabilizer, and came with Man a fre shocks.

thumbnail_BF0924E5-D447-4A0D-BB69-9EB3BC0BE343.jpg

thumbnail_FB7A2FEC-C416-4BF2-9CE0-99DD2C40A623.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0637.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1158.jpg

Don’t do a reverse shackle unless your looking to modify the whole vehicle. Many of us run the stock setup and have absolutely no issues at highway speeds, the key is maintain what’s there. Replace the bushings, make sure everything is to speck and it will work fine and to top it off you won’t have devalued your FJ40 in the process.

Now if your looking to make it a rock crawler dismiss what I mentioned above.

So I just placed my magnetic angle finder on the castor and it came out to somewhere between 3-4 degrees. Based on this, any thoughts as to the specific shims I would need for this?

So I just placed my magnetic angle finder on the castor and it came out to somewhere between 3-4 degrees. Based on this, any thoughts as to the specific shims I would need for this?
That’s good, but I think it’s not measured correctly now. I think you have something like -1° now.

had the same problem on my 1980 fj40.,the wandering was bad., has Jim previously mentioned long shackles( went back to standard lenght)., and new shocks. It cured the problem on mine.

Ok! I placed the angle finder on the bottom ridge that extends out to directly behind the diff on the front axle. Figured that was correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom