steering stuck turning left REAL TIME HELP PLEASE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tornio

only sheep need a leader
Threads
HI guys , is the first time that something like today happens to me or to my toy (42):

my girl was driving on a mountain road (off road) and she called me saying : THE STEERING DOESN'T TURN LEFT , IT ONLY TURN RIGHT !!!

long story short : she arrived at its destination , did reverse ( turn ) and then turned off the car. all was ok

after some time when it was time to come back she is gone but the steering wheel was stucked to left ....the wheel only turn right ....

when i arrived i tried to turn the steering wheel and really it was stuck to left and normal to right....

now i have the toy in the middle of a lawn near the road ....

what can be ?? steering box ? bierfield ?

tomorow i have to repair to bring her home....("she" is full load of wood)

any suggestion will be very welcome!!!!

Last edited:
Mine did the same thing with a broken birfield, would only turn one direction. Verified it wasn't the steering box or bellcrank by dropping the draglink from the pitman arm. Then dug into the front axle and found the busted birf.

thanks a lot ...i had the suspect... but i can remove it and go back home without ?

i mean without a birfield but with axle of course

I linked a couple threads above where they discuss removing the birf and filling the space with articles of clothing.

If you have a locker in the front you can just pull it and still have 3 wheel drive. If you don't have a locker you will lose front wheel drive when you pull it. The only issue you run into is gear oil running into the knuckle with the axle removed so plugging the hole for the axle is important I would not put the axle back in without a birfield to keep it in the hole. Just pull it and plug the hole (even if it is just stuffing it with a rag). Your not going to leave it that way but a trail fix is just to get you home. Running in 2 wheel drive will keep everything from spinning up there.

i say if i remove
I linked a couple threads above where they discuss removing the birf and filling the space with articles of clothing.

SORRY my friend , i didn't understand and i didn't see that what you wrote was a link.....in the first moment i thought you was joking me.

I apologize , i was very tired Yesterday night , i slept in front of the pc.... AHHAHA..

thank a lot !!!

I DID IT !!!!! THANK'S TO ALL !!!! YESTERDAY you give me hope and this morning i started the job !

09.00 am it was - 10 below zero very cold fxxx !

i started removing wheel,brake , everythingh you know and finally i found the culprit !
CAM00142.jpg
CAM00143.jpg
CAM00145.jpg
CAM00146.jpg
CAM00148.jpg

then i riassembled allthings

H
long story short : she arrived at its destination , did reverse ( turn ) and then turned off the car. all was ok

Just FYI, I've seen more than 1 birfield break when people reverse and turn the steering wheel while in 4 wheel drive. Try and avoid this if possible, especially on dry or non-slippery surfaces.

Good job on the fix!

:cheers:

Just FYI, I've seen more than 1 birfield break when people reverse and turn the steering wheel while in 4 wheel drive. Try and avoid this if possible, especially on dry or non-slippery surfaces.

Good job on the fix!

you are right !! but try to explain to my girl......

not a really fix but she come back home ! as soon as possible i'll do a really fix , i have an another axle from wich i'll take a "new birfield "

cheers

Good job on the fix!

exscuse me, what means just " FYI " ?

hello guys , i back home the bj and now is time to fix/replace the cv joint with another one's... lucky i have 3 front axle but they are drum type . 2 are early version bj (untill 1980) and one is post 1980 so my question is : are these cv joint/shaft interchangeable with mine disk tipe ?
i ask because i stored these axle in a very uncomfortable place not at my home and i don't want work for nothing if they don't fit.

Another question : is possible change the title of this tread ? I wanted to add " solved or fixed "

thanks

cheers

The drum brake type will NOT work for sure. I'm pretty sure that the post 1980 is correct for your truck. The early version might work but it will not be right. (all this assumes that the year differences in Italy follow the same year differences found in the USA).

Nick

..Ah , ok i'll take the post 1980 type axle to disassemble, I hope to recognize it betweenthe Others...

i thought (hope better ...) that the only difference were the brakes and that the knuckle and its cv joint / shaft were the same...

thanks , i'll post the result

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom