Steering Rack slips following AHC Delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello - I recently had the hydroloics fully removed from my 06 LX and moved to a dobinsons 3.5 inch kit in the front and 880 pound upgrade in the rear. The steering has felt a bit sloppy for the last month since I picked it up, but yesterday my wife came to a stop at a light with the wheel turned to the left and the steering wheel just seemed to stay there? It was 90 degrees to the left as we went straight down the road. We stopped at the next stop light, moved the wheel around a bit and it was back to its still a bit sloppy bit not worrysum self. Any ideas whats causing this? I have just checked the PS fluid and it looks fine...

Thanks!

Sounds like something that was loosened/removed during the AHC removal didn't get tightened/replaced properly. I'm not sure what's involved in the AHC delete (I'll let others chime in), but I would check your steering rack mounts, steering shaft coupling, and tie rod end to start. driving straight while the wheel is suddenly 90 degrees off suggests something is VERY out-of-whack. I'd avoid driving it until it can be identified, if it were me.

Hmm.

Nothing about the AHC delete should have jacked with your steering rack, at least not like that. YOu could maybe feel a little more play and wandering with the alignment and the lift throwing off some things.

3.5 inch lift is pretty big, did you do anything else aside from throw TB in and crank them?

My guess is you probably have some shot bushings, like almost any high mileage cruiser. But seems like something else is at play here. Check the steering shaft, check tie rod ends. I would be checking quite a few things. Also, an alignment and new poly bushings should get rid of a chunk of that slop, if your rack is still decent.

My guess is a combination of the front being too high (not enough droop) and a malfunction with the VGRS.
I'm wondering if your on to something with the VGRS. The VGRS and VSC (both) Lights would always come on when it rained since I've owned the car (about 3 yrs). I assumed water was getting into a sensor and ignored it. But with the AHC delete those 3 lights are now on all the time. I have a wiring issue that needs to be attended to on the rear drivers side wheel well running along the frame which has shorted out, my mechanic assumes is the issue with the lights, I've got to figure out if its worth replacing the lines and units they ran to, or having him cap them for safty and leave it as is.
Any imput on what I should do is super appreciated. Thanks!

OK - borrowed my mothers car so its not being driven while I try to get a handel on this, thanks for the advice. It drove 30 mins last night without the wheel turning and mis-alining itself in regard to the wheels on the way to my parents and interestingly, the vgrs light went off? Does anyone think this is related to the wheel being looser than before I had a reputable off road mechanic do the AHC delete and removal? Or should I look for a local toyota mechanic/dealer to look into it? I'm only a 1 banna mechanic - Thanks!

OK - borrowed my mothers car so its not being driven while I try to get a handel on this, thanks for the advice. It drove 30 mins last night without the wheel turning and mis-alining itself in regard to the wheels on the way to my parents and interestingly, the vgrs light went off? Does anyone think this is related to the wheel being looser than before I had a reputable off road mechanic do the AHC delete and removal? Or should I look for a local toyota mechanic/dealer to look into it? I'm only a 1 banna mechanic - Thanks!

Your steering is going to feel light because you’ve lifted your truck almost 4 inches.

What are you hub to fender measurements?
Have you checked droop?

Start there. Both simple things to do and can help other people here help you out.

I know if the battery is disconnected and the wheel turned while it's off, the VGRS can be wonky, but will generally go through a calibration over the first few miles and reset itself. Is it possible the power was disconnected recently? A zero point calibration might be the ticket.

Also, I'd have a look at your rack bushings. Mine were shot at 200k, and definitely let the rack move around a good bit. I'd imagine a 3.5" lift would exacerbate anything worn given the steep angle and the way the rack mounts to the crossmember.

Your steering is going to feel light because you’ve lifted your truck almost 4 inches.

What are you hub to fender measurements?
Have you checked droop?

Start there. Both simple things to do and can help other people here help you out.
I second starting where Mycomaniac suggested. I thought 2.5” of lift was max for an ifs 100 series. If the front end is too high you’ll have steering issues.

I'm looking for all the wire harness housing (pig tails) blocks. i.e: For the pump. pressure sensor (both styles), temp sensor, high sensor(s), controller, accumulator, etc. Number one I need today, is for pump motor. I'm using these to make diagnostic tools.

If you're (or anyone) remove any or all. I can use them?

I'm also looking for the AHC ECU (under dash near IG SW)?

Anyone, please PM if you can help. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom