Steering Column Leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I dropped the LX off at the dealer yesterday for a routine service check and oil change. The truck has 83K miles after 7 years. They found that I have a power steering leak and a leaking rack and pinion. :censor: This last one blew my mind, as this truck has been regularly serviced, minor off-roading, which I would not even consider "wheeling" and very low miles for the age! :bang:

I saw the pics they took and verified that the steering column is indeed leaking! I do have an extended warranty, so today they are going to be going back and pulling together part numbers and seeing what is covered under the warranty. They are talking about the requirement of having to remove the engine to be able to service (not sure yet what service will need to be done) the steering column and so they are expecting everything to take at least a week and I am guessing be VERY costly. :)censor: me...)

Has anyone seen anything like this on a 200? I know that the 100s had some issue with the steering columns and I've seen several have had to replace those, but I had not heard of a 200 having similar issues.

Thoughts? Is there anything here that I should watch out for and if it is all covered by warranty, is there any other maintenance items that I should have done while they have this all going on?? :worms:

Thanks guys!

Here are the steering column photos the local dealer showed me last night:
image0.png
image1.png

Can we have an amen for the extended warranty. Keep us informed.

I am hoping on the extended warranty and yes, indeed! I've already been in touch with my tech writer at the dealer this morning and he will be calling the extended warranty company in a little while, so I should have an update by the end of the day.

So they were not able to get all of the information ready to contact the extended warranty company on Saturday, so I am waiting today to hear from them to find out the verdict.

Also, the RX330 they gave me as a loaner got hit on Sunday while sitting in a parking garage. I swear that this week has started off with a BANG!:bang: I dropped it back off this morning and am now driving my 100 series for the week. At least the guy left a note with his contact information.

Just as an updated, I heard back from my local dealer this morning and they have submitted the claim to the 3rd party warranty company. Given the extensive repair being requested, the company is sending out an inspector to verify the claim prior to authorization. The dealer says that they will not get out to inspect prior to the end of day tomorrow, so I will not know anything further until early Friday. I have not seen the break out of repairs they are authorizing, nor have I seen a total for the repair so I really have no idea how much this might end up costing... someone.

Stay tuned.

Jonathan

Is this an extended warranty from Toyota/Lexus or a third party?

Looks like he said it was a 3rd party above.

Are they serious - that the engine needs to be removed to replace the steering column?! What the heck?? - This isn't a Ferrari or Lotus we are talking about here!!

Holy crap - I guess it is a Ferrari. It's odd that we don't have a service manual like this that actually includes our engine! I had started to reference this manual when I was doing my water pump and really scratched my head when it said I needed to remove the timing belt! :)

Just for reference, the 100 series doesnt call for engine removal, but does require removal of the oil filter assembly on the bottom of the block. However, the steering rack can be replaced by simply undoing one engine mount and lifting the engine a couple inches to gain enough room. I wonder if such procedure is possible on the 200s.

Strange to see such seepage at 83k...

Holy crap - I guess it is a Ferrari. It's odd that we don't have a service manual like this that actually includes our engine! I had started to reference this manual when I was doing my water pump and really scratched my head when it said I needed to remove the timing belt! :)

Where does it reference a timing belt?

GSIC - Global Service Information Center

The motor removal was something the tech writer stated and that this was the only vehicle in the Lexus lineup like it. I am not positive, but I would not expect this to be a "Lexus only" configuration.

I have not seen the paperwork to verify that the whole engine is being pulled versus a portion unbolted and raised, but that is definitely something that I will be interested to see as I would expect a whole bunch of other connections would be needed to be messed with just to provide access to the steering column.

This truck has been maintained by the same dealer since its infancy. The original owner traded it in on a new one through the same dealer. Oh, and there is 1 Lexus dealer in the state.

Strange to see such seepage at 83k...

I agree. I was very surprised and not too thrilled when this came up last Friday.

UPDATE: This is the email I received this afternoon:

"Good news!!! I heard back from the extended warranty company and everything was approved to move forward and get the repairs done. I have let my parts department know and they have ordered all of the necessary parts needed to complete everything. Now the waiting period for my technician to finish it up is where we stand. He said by Wednesday next week he should be finished, as long as all the parts come in on time (should not be an issue). I hope this does ease a little off your shoulders. I will be updating you when he is close to finishing.

Thanks again for your patience

Mitch"

This is great to see / hear! I have asked for a breakdown and will get back with you guys in as much detail as I can to let you know what has failed and what the repair is.

Jonathan

They do, you just have to pay for it. I did a quick trial to check it out. Pretty extensive.

https://techinfo.toyota.com

More info from my tech writer...
"We are going to be replacing the power steering rack and pinion assembly. As well as getting a fluid flush through that system. The timing cover re-seal is about 18 related parts and fluids. I don’t have an exact description of each part, just part numbers. All of which are gaskets and seals, like intake gasket, water inlet gaskets, FIPG for the timing cover itself. Valve cover gaskets, ect. Hopefully that helps. As far as anything that is not covered, there isn’t anything that the extended warranty did not cover. The inspection report we got from your initial service, all was covered. Not the filters, of course but you mentioned you would handle those. Warranty cost on the repairs getting done is upwards of $3000.00 (Warranty pricing is always cheaper than anything else). I haven’t finalized any paperwork so I do not have an exact number for total repair at this time. Just approved to do the work.

Any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Mitch"

This is making my head spin...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom