Starter very slow turn. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The starter is very slow to turn, sometimes does not turn at all, it just clicks.

I have taken the starter off and test it at AutoZone, they said it's a good starter. Tested electrical current at starter wire and starter base to motor got 12.34 volts same as the battery. Installed starter back in the truck, same problem starter turns slow. It speeds up as I keep the key turned and electricity flowing, but not fast enough to cranck the engine.

Any idea on what do do next?

Like gnob said, make sure your cables are good. Connections clean. I've had battery cables look good but, had severe corrosion inside.

Put your meter across the battery terminals and see if the voltage drops as you're cranking. A weak battery might show 12 volts and then drop as you crank it.

If you have a strong battery, clean cables and connections and the starter still struggles maybe something failed in the engine making it hard to turn? Hopefully not.

Make sure all your engine grounds are attached and clean. You didn't say what you are working on. My truck has three, IIRC. Engine to firewall. Frame to block. And I think a third frame to block.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm working on a 78 Toyota Hilux 5 speed manual.

The ground cable is new maybe 6 months old, the power I don't know. I have 2 ground wires to the engine. One on the drives side behind the exhaust manifold connects directly to the cabin. The second is on the passenger side engine mount and its connected between the bolts, from the engine bolt to mount, frame bolt to mount. Those were cleaned 6 months ago when I replaced the ground wire. This is recurring problem I cant seem to track down. The starter is also 2 years old.

I have gad some time last weekend to work on it. I got the battery charged at auto zone to 85% tested the battery and it is a good battery. I don't know why they did not charge it to 100% but hey here we are.

I put the battery in and the truck started right up, starter turned a little sluggish but fast enough to cranck the truck.

So it looks like I have a charging problem. Also when the truck sits for a few days the battery drains. How do you guys find a parasitic drain?

I have gad some time last weekend to work on it. I got the battery charged at auto zone to 85% tested the battery and it is a good battery. I don't know why they did not charge it to 100% but hey here we are.

I put the battery in and the truck started right up, starter turned a little sluggish but fast enough to cranck the truck.

So it looks like I have a charging problem. Also when the truck sits for a few days the battery drains. How do you guys find a parasitic drain?
Use a test light and start puling fuses. Have your charging system load tested with a carbon pile tester to see the actual output from your alternator.

If you put your leads to battery positive and negative while the engine is running you should see about 14.7 volts. Give or take.

Batteries will discharge over time even just sitting but it shouldn't get too low to start in a couple days. It could be a failing battery or the parasitic drain you mentioned.

Start pulling fuses or unhooking things until you find what it is. A bad diode in the alternator can also cause it.

How old is your battery?

Good luck.

My battery is 2 years old. I will start investigating on what you guys mentioned.

Got a chance to work on the truck this sat. Thank you guys for all your suggestions I did all your recommended tests. This is what I found out. Truck off nothing on, voltage of battery 12.78V truck has been sitting for a week, battery has been connected. Running voltage is 14.7V, while starting when the starter is turning the battery drops to 11.65V. There is no parasitic draw on the battery, I pulled all fusses one by one and checked for ohm changes there was no change at all. Starter still clicks sometimes mostly when its cold before it starts, and it does kind of start slow then speeds up. If I drive around town for a while then it starts much faster but that morning cold start is sluggish.

What has been creating the problem is my alarm. It has been off for the past week and its the only think that has been added to the truck. The alarm has turned it self off I guess the stand by battery has died since the battery and truck have been off for the past 6 weeks. The alarm is an aftermarket Prestige Alarm, its a great alarm with door actuators capabilities which I highly recommend. I'm going to go talk to the installer and see what he recommends cause without it I will start to get break ins again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom