Spring 2016 OBDR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

True. The freeway is nice but its still quite a ways to get to pretty or fun places to wheel.
Any more details on the trip yet?

Not yet. I'm still waiting to hear if starting on Friday, May 13th from Sisters works for everyone? @tacosupreme - How long will it take us (taking it easy like you said) to make all of route 4? If we start on Friday May 13th would it be safe to say we would be in Seneca by Sunday evening? That way if people wanted to go back home they could from there and we could continue on?

5/13 good to go- or any other date in May!:steer::beer::wrench::beer:

Last edited:
5/13 I'm out. The following two weekends work though.

It probably depends more on the route and how close you come to me then when you do it. I probably won't go all the way to Sisters to start. So as far as it goes for me I would say make the plan that works best and I will try to join up for a couple days.

For me its probably more important the route you take then when you do it. I would say do what works best for others and I will probably plan to join up in senica or unity if I can.

Oops. Sorry for the repost.

Not yet. I'm still waiting to hear if starting on Friday, May 13th from Sisters works for everyone? @tacosupreme - How long will it take us (taking it easy like you said) to make all of route 4? If we start on Friday May 13th would it be safe to say we would be in Seneca by Sunday evening? That way if people wanted to go back home they could from there and we could continue on?
Oh yeah, that leg is easy. If you're hardcore or like to haul the mail you could do that whole stretch in 5-6 hours, but that is pushing it hard on dry roads, like race pace. If we are going FJ80 with the family speeds (20-30mph) it will take two days, so figure one overnight somewhere near big summit prairie/walden lake ish? Three days if you don't break camp till ten, stop to take a million pics and shoot the breeze, etc. I don't really know how most people are. I'm a military guy and like to break camp at 6 AM, drive like a maniac till dark only stopping for fuel and to go whiz. Drives my wife nuts. All of her pics of our travels are taken while hanging out a passenger window doin' 50. Lol

That said, last trip I realized most people are not that way, and oddly most people prefer to poop in a flushing toilet. I had no idea, and understand most of you hippies lolly gag around camp waiting for the sun to melt the frost. Weirdos.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, that leg is easy. If you're hardcore or like to haul the mail you could do that whole stretch in 5-6 hours, but that is pushing it hard on dry roads, like race pace. If we are going FJ80 with the family speeds (20-30mph) it will take two days, so figure one overnight somewhere near big summit prairie/walden lake ish? Three days if you don't break camp till ten, stop to take a million pics and shoot the breeze, etc. I don't really know how most people are. I'm a military guy and like to break camp at 6 AM, drive like a maniac till dark only stopping for fuel and to go whiz. Drives my wife nuts. All of her pics of our travels are taken while hanging out a passenger window doin' 50. Lol

That said, last trip I realized most people are not that way, and oddly most people prefer to poop in a flushing toilet. I had no idea, and understand most of you hippies lolly gag around camp waiting for the sun to melt the frost. Weirdos.

Well I definitely have been on trips where I'm all about getting there and hitting it hard. However, the family is planning on coming with on this one and leaving at 6am and being in the car for 10 hours probably isn't going to fly. I'm not saying we have to lolli gag but I do want to enjoy the trip (and I don't want to ruin the young ones just yet).

So it sounds like regardless of speed we should be fine for making it through the first leg by Sunday at the latest. Then we just have to decide what our route is for sure from there.

Well I definitely have been on trips where I'm all about getting there and hitting it hard. However, the family is planning on coming with on this one and leaving at 6am and being in the car for 10 hours probably isn't going to fly. I'm not saying we have to lolli gag but I do want to enjoy the trip (and I don't want to ruin the young ones just yet).

So it sounds like regardless of speed we should be fine for making it through the first leg by Sunday at the latest. Then we just have to decide what our route is for sure from there.
For sure. It is nice to not be in a rush, and 3 days would mean lots of time for exploring from two different "base camps". I know of a couple awesome camp sites near Seneca capable of supporting 10 rigs or so...

We ran parts of OBDR a few summers back in June when we were living in Eugene.

Bring the bug spray that time of year. With the snow melt comes the skeeters and they will eat you alive!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1452876000.789641.jpg

Looks like fun, I'll try to make it work.

I'll be coming up from the SF Bay Area and doing a loop like 3-4-5.2-2 would be great, if doable in a 2-3 days.

Last edited:
I'll be coming up from the SF Bay Area and doing a loop like 3-4-5.2-2 would be great, if doable in a 2-3 days.
That would be possible...in my race truck. It doesn't look that far, but you would have to hold triple digit speeds on the straights and pitch it sideways in every corner to do the loop in 2 days! All of the loops combined are close to 1000 miles of dirt.

img_2115.jpg

Subscribed! I'm moving back to the NW next month and working my way through the ORBDR and WABDR are near the top of my vacation plans for this year :cool:

Subd. I want to come, Iv got my stock 4Runner on 33s and my brother may bring my Trekker on 31s. Think it's doable for "mostly" stockers or would we get in the way?

I'm coming into this from the ExPo, Trucman.

Sent from my iPhone using paper airplanes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom