Spindle and upper trunion damage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m doing front axle seals and while cleaning the passenger side it looks like whoever was in there last was a little rough on things. The damage is on the machined surfaces.

I’m trying to decide if it is not an issue and run them as-is. Should I just debur with a file an run it? Last option i guess is to replace. I’d be nervous about replacing the trunion bearing carrier as I wouldn’t know about preload anymore.

What day Mud!

7B854C44-785B-4619-A3B5-BDD38E64635A.jpeg
C3C58D61-9B49-41A9-A6F5-2F17D39441A1.jpeg
B68C7848-9B37-4612-A569-5CACA1735D01.jpeg

46C43A03-4AA2-4382-8BE5-24E23DDC671E.jpeg

2E237F78-B2A0-44D1-A9F6-318120726E32.jpeg

Wtf how many pages would that thread be?

I'd need to discuss the other options. I'd need to figure out timing. There of course would be an in-depth metallurgy and abrasives discussion. Some a****** would propose Chinese made files from HF and that would be 20 pages of giving him s***. So hmmm...

I'd need to discuss the other options. I'd need to figure out timing. There of course would be an in-depth metallurgy and abrasives discussion. Some a****** would propose Chinese made files from HF and that would be 20 pages of giving him s***. So hmmm...

So is there like a formula out there we can use to figure this out? Maybe a wits end forum page calculator?

It needs to be flat, the goal is to take off anything that is high, the divots don't matter. Stone or file until it starts touching the surrounding metal and stop. This is more important on the trunnion than the spindle.

What Tools R Us said.
Use a file or a bench stone, either one or both, doesn't matter, just knock the burrs off.

file it flat or use a palm sander with some fine emery cloth on the high spots and a rat tail or half round file to clean up the hole as it looks like the edge may be rolled in a bit

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m not to worried about fubaring the spindle. I can easily buy a new one. I am worried about the upper trunion carrier. I’ll just be careful.

The plot thickens, cleaning the knuckle this evenening I cleaned the trunion shim. It has been rode hard and put away wet. I’m hoping that 20 on it is the thickness and I can buy a new one. Oh well, all these delays will just give me more “excuses” to work in the garage.
67D2321A-E7F5-4774-B3C8-7AB185C26346.jpeg
8DEA37AB-DD0F-4EAB-A8FB-8400703ADCAF.jpeg

2nd pick looks like were the outer bearing rides is worn to the point I can see a ridge, i would take a close look at that. I replaced both of mine when they look like that and I could feel a ridge in them.

If it were me I'd just file it smooth.

Well there you go, if this OCD queen approves you are good to go. Oh yeah replace the bushings in the spindles and next time PM @NLXTACY for the OCD issues :p

2nd pick looks like were the outer bearing rides is worn to the point I can see a ridge, i would take a close look at that. I replaced both of mine when they look like that and I could feel a ridge in them.

Good eye. I went back and found there are ridges that hang up my fingernail on this spindle and the other side too. Are spindles still available with the brass bushing or they all needle bearings now?

I’m seeing imperfections everywhere I look now. :lol:

Good eye. I went back and found there are ridges that hang up my fingernail on this spindle and the other side too. Are spindles still available with the brass bushing or they all needle bearings now?

I’m seeing imperfections everywhere I look now. :lol:

Kurt stocks both.

Kurt stocks both.

Yup!

We (Cruiser Outfitters) stock Japanese spindles with the bearing/bushing combo (FA60080 or FA60081OEM if you prefer OE Toyota) and we can assemble with the full length bushing too. Gaskets, shims, seals, etc... we stock it all. Give us a ring if we can help!

Oooooh, I'll work on that. Gotta be something out of Japan available.

You’ve got to fill that new shop space with something!

Set aside a section for us AZ folks. We’re abusive and I’m sure it will help put your kids through college or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom