spark plug tube removal and reseal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
Threads
Hello fellow Mudders my name is Steve and I have gleaned much info from your experiences and challenges the past year. This my first thread. I bought a 1994 80 last spring and it's been great. However it has a random and rather harsh misfire only noticed at idle. I bought OEM tune up parts and when i pulled the plug wires i found oil in the plug tubes. i know this has been discussed before and i just replaced the seals but have not tested it yet. The engine was professionally rebuilt 15K ago. I looked up this issue using a popular search engine and an online "professional" Toyota mechanic said the seals could be the fix but most likely the oil is leaking in-between the tubes and the head and to remove the tubes from the head and resealed using an anaerobic type sealant. No where have i read on here about anyone doing this. Also, i spoke to the shop that rebuilt the engine and he said when they do the head work there is no need to remove these tubes Unfortunately the warranty is expired because the PO had the job done over 4 years ago. Your input would be appreciated.

Yeah I've never heard of anyone pulling the tubes. It's very common for the tube seals (to valve cover) to fail... so it is probably a 95%+ chance it was due to the tube seals.

I installed the seals while referring to the FSM and the way they were installed by the engine builder 15k miles ago. It seems odd to me that the seals failed this soon. I sucked on the pcv valve and it opened pretty easily. I will run it and hope the new OEM seals did the trick. This is the first thread I started on here and even though I got your replies i don't see my thread title in 80 series tech. Did i post somewhere else?? Thanks

Is there actaully a "seal" on the bottom end of the spark plug tube? I always figured it just pressed into the head. Regardless, I have helped do a lot of valve cover reseals, and I have never found a loose tube yet. John

Thats a good question John. In my first post i mention info i read online from a "professional" mechanic who spoke of anaerobic sealant used around the bottom of the tubes. Seems to me Toyota would freeze the tubes prior to install so there is an interference fit that required no sealants. I am happy that no one has told me the tubes leak regularly!:)

I think if the seals in the valve cover are fresh that they will keep the tube well seated.

Time will tell.

Here's a bump to this oldie... Anyone have a part number for the spark plug tube itself? I, too, searched using a popular search engine and was only able to find the gaskets that go on the topside of the tubes at the valve cover. There are some pretty sophisticated parts guru's on here that will hopefully stumble across this request.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a bump to this oldie... Anyone have a part number for the spark plug tube itself? I, too, searched using a popular search engine and was only able to find the gaskets that go on the topside of the tubes at the valve cover. There are some pretty sophisticated parts guru's on here that will hopefully stumble across this request.

Thanks in advance!
I would like to know that PN also!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom