Spark Plug Stuck in Insert? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
#3 wasn't coming out and it looks like some sort of insert in there - any idea how to get this plug out or what I should do?

Screenshot_20201017-191415.png

So your socket won’t go all the way down on the plug so you can turn it? Remove the rubber piece from your plug socket and try.

So your socket won’t go all the way down on the plug so you can turn it? Remove the rubber piece from your plug socket and try.
Right, it won't turn at all - that rubber is blocking the socket from the plug, I just tried to use a normal deep socket as well.

Just get creative and rip it out of there. Hemostat/forceps, a long right angle pick, etc

That rubber or gunk out whatever it was is gone, here is a better pick now.. Can't seat the socket against anything though currently.

View attachment 2468257
It's an old broken off spark plug wire grommet.

I had to use a set of dental type picks and laid on top of the engine for about 2 hours picking at it until I could get just the right bite.

Hemostats are the right tool if you can find a set long enough. Mine was on #6 plug, so you couldn't see down into it.

Might be worth trying something like a stick with crazy glue on the end of it, or some kind of super adhesive pad tied onto the stick. Just be sure you don’t touch the walls with it. And that it’s tied or glued on really really well…

It's an old broken off spark plug wire grommet.

I had to use a set of dental type picks and laid on top of the engine for about 2 hours picking at it until I could get just the right bite.

Hemostats are the right tool if you can find a set long enough. Mine was on #6 plug, so you couldn't see down into it.
Ordered some 12 inch hemostats and some picks..so once that grommet is out if I can get it out, does the plug come with it? Or can I then use a socket?

I ran into a similar situation a year or so ago (never use made in Chyna kerapp spark plug wire sets, they're more likely to snap off like that IME).

If long picks don't work, try any long thin tool to grab it and try compressed air if you have it (or a wet vac) to blow the stuck pieces or pieces out or dislodge them. I have a 10" long pair of tweezers (sold at pet stores, used to feed snapping turtles so you don't lose a finger) that comes
in handy now and then but don't think that would work in this situation.
As mentioned above, long pair of hemostats might help.

This may sound drastic, but I ended up putting together a few adaptors on my cordless ratchet so I could slide a 7/8" hole saw down the tube to grind the plastic into bits. I then blew the bits out with my wet vac by taping a narrow nose funnel to the wet vac hose end and reversed the hose to the blow position which worked surprisingly well. If you have compressed air, better.

The 7/8" hole saw is small enough to fit down the spark plug tube, large enough to fit over the insulator, but also small enough where it will bottom out on the hex for the spark plug (so you don't grind into the head).

After the stuck spark plug boot was ground up the air pressure blew the bits out, then removed the spark plug as usual.

Last edited:
It's definitely not from my spark plug socket, I'm wondering if that rubber is part of the metal insert..or maybe a previous owner/mechanic.

So to be clear, you pulled your wires off, including this one, and there's nothing missing? I don't see how the socket could have been connected unless this is part of it. Just curious.

I ran into a similar situation a year or so ago (never use made in Chyna kerapp spark plug wire sets, they're more likely to snap off like that IME).

If long picks don't work, try any long thin tool to grab it and try compressed air if you have it (or a wet vac) to blow the stuck pieces or pieces out or dislodge them. I have a 10" long pair of tweezers (sold at pet stores, used to feed snapping turtles so you don't lose a finger) that comes

This may sound drastic, but I ended up putting together a few adaptors on my cordless ratchet so I could slide a 7/8" hole saw down the tube to grind the plastic into bits. I then blew the bits out with my wet vac by taping a narrow nose funnel to the wet vac hose end and reversed the hose to the blow position which worked surprisingly well. If you have compressed air, better.

Edit: here's the contraption I put together (based on the tools available
at the time):

A Milwaukee 7/8" hole saw, a 3/8" Milwaukee threaded adapter, then a tall 11/32" 1/4" drive socket on the threaded adapter, then a 1/4" to 3/8" adaptor and a 3/8" socket extension. All that driven by a Milwaukee M12 cordless ratchet.

There is likely a better method (not sure why I didn't use a drill?) but the above worked.

The 7/8" hole saw is small enough to fit in the tube, large enough to
fit over the insulator, but also small enough where it will bottom out on the hex for the spark plug (so you don't grind into the head).

After it was ground up the air pressure blew the bits out, then removed the spark plug as usual.
Why can’t I like this twice?

So to be clear, you pulled your wires off, including this one, and there's nothing missing? I don't see how the socket could have been connected unless this is part of it. Just curious.
I did not notice anything missing, I might have thrown away the old wires so I can't gaurentee some of the boot didn't tear off. So this might be part of that boot and not some rubber grommet part of the insert then.

The 7/8" hole saw is small enough to fit down the spark plug tube, large enough to fit over the insulator, but also small enough where it will bottom out on the hex for the spark plug (so you don't grind into the head).

After the stuck spark plug boot was ground up the air pressure blew the bits out, then removed the spark plug as usual.

Awesome, I will give this a try..I think I pushed the rubber down or something when I used a non spark plug socket, but I still see some of the rubber so should be able to get at it. Have compressed air so should be able to shoot it out if I can't pull it out. Hoping there's not more issues getting it out with that metal insert it is in, it almost looks like the insert is above the hex part of the plug, but hard to tell from top down.

Here is what I did:

Do you have your original spark plug socket?

If your answer is yes, you are in luck. Line up the socket and gently tap with a hammer. The socket is a bit sharp and will cut into the rubber. If you hold the socket loosely, it will align itself with the plug. Once it catches, you should be able to remove the plug.

Here is what I did:

Do you have your original spark plug socket?

If your answer is yes, you are in luck. Line up the socket and gently tap with a hammer. The socket is a bit sharp and will cut into the rubber. If you hold the socket loosely, it will align itself with the plug. Once it catches, you should be able to remove the plug.
How did you ensure that no pieces fell into the head?

How did you ensure that no pieces fell into the head?

Once the socket cut into the plug nut part and I was able to budge it loose, I shoved a vacuum hose in the hole to suck up any rubber pieces. Once it’s loose you can typically spin the plug Socket with your fingers. Right before you pull the plug completely hose it out again for good measure.

I just had exact same thing happen on #6. I simply reinserted the plug wire with the missing rubber piece and it 'locked' back into the rubber piece. I gently pulled it back out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom