Spare fuel bladders in the doors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think everyone's overlooked the space between the hood liner and the roof.
Get a bag made the same shape as the hood liner. That's gotta be good for another 20 gallons?? Maybe more
Good idea! The only problem is how to fill that bag. You'd need a filler point really high up. Maybe for models with a sunroof, we could redirect the water drain hoses to fill the bag? That way it's easy, you can just spray fuel straight onto the sunroof while standing next to the vehicle, and it'll fill up the bag. In fact, better yet, setup a gravity feed from the roof bag into the bladders in the door and the main tank. No more worrying about the fuel cap, just spray fuel all over the roof, and when it overflows and starts running down the windshield and over the hood, you know you're all full and ready to set off.

Good idea! The only problem is how to fill that bag. You'd need a filler point really high up. Maybe for models with a sunroof, we could redirect the water drain hoses to fill the bag? That way it's easy, you can just spray fuel straight onto the sunroof while standing next to the vehicle, and it'll fill up the bag. In fact, better yet, setup a gravity feed from the roof bag into the bladders in the door and the main tank. No more worrying about the fuel cap, just spray fuel all over the roof, and when it overflows and starts running down the windshield and over the hood, you know you're all full and ready to set off.

My 80 doesn't have a sun roof :(

The evaporating fuel will help supplement the AC too. Win win!

I don't appreciate that this thread has turned into a joke for some people. I'm actively working with a manufacturer to build the first prototype fuel bladders that will be available for sale once I validate that they work. I am aiming for very few moving parts, with the latest system simply using a system of check valves to drain excess fuel into the main tank automatically. The downside is that you have to fill up the bladders separately either via a hole in each door jamb or with a separate network of fuel filler lines.
I'm the first guy to applaud thinking outside the box NG. And I'd like to see the end result. But that said, why not shoot for something equally useful but not potentially so difficult and dangerous? God knows I've gone down more than a few rabbit holes.

All of your work to-date is equally applicable to water bladders in the doors. We all need lots of water, and if water leaks it is not an issue. I would actually consider putting a couple of bladders in one or two of my trucks. Water is heavy (heavier than fuel) and especially here in the Middle East, extra water is insurance. IMHO, leave the fuel on an external carrier and figure out how to put WATER in the doors.

I'm the first guy to applaud thinking outside the box NG. And I'd like to see the end result. But that said, why not shoot for something equally useful but not potentially so difficult and dangerous? God knows I've gone down more than a few rabbit holes.

All of your work to-date is equally applicable to water bladders in the doors. We all need lots of water, and if water leaks it is not an issue. I would actually consider putting a couple of bladders in one or two of my trucks. Water is heavy (heavier than fuel) and especially here in the Middle East, extra water is insurance. IMHO, leave the fuel on an external carrier and figure out how to put WATER in the doors.
My problem with water is that a small leak could rust out your doors

Easily solved! Make sure the drain holes are open and put fresh water sacrificial anodes in the bottom of each door!
1666280425938.png

Oh, and epoxy coat the bottom half of each door on the inside with this:
1666280721992.png

Actually with this and a little welding you could make the door itself the tank!

Last edited:
Easily solved! Make sure the drain holes are open and put fresh water sacrificial anodes in the bottom of each door!
View attachment 3145623
Oh, and epoxy coat the bottom half of each door on the inside with this:
View attachment 3145628
Actually with this and a little welding you could make the door itself the tank!
You guys are coming up with really silly ideas here. Just to be clear, anode rods make the water unsafe to drink. You don't want to drink the tap from your hot water and so unless you're only using the door water for showering, it seems like a bad idea.

I know everyone will say I'm being overly cautious but I think we should stick to fuel only

You guys are coming up with really silly ideas here. Just to be clear, anode rods make the water unsafe to drink. You don't want to drink the tap from your hot water and so unless you're only using the door water for showering, it seems like a bad idea.

I know everyone will say I'm being overly cautious but I think we should stick to fuel only
In regards to safety id also be concerned about using plastic lines and fuel bags because the plastic might leech bpa or microplastics into the fuel system which might be bad for the engine and the catalytic converters.

I'm the first guy to applaud thinking outside the box NG... IMHO, leave the fuel on an external carrier and figure out how to put WATER in the doors.

Hey, man - start your own thread!

In regards to safety id also be concerned about using plastic lines and fuel bags because the plastic might leech bpa or microplastics into the fuel system which might be bad for the engine and the catalytic converters.

Yeah, good call. You don't want BPAs turning your hydrocarbons gay!

I agree. you can't be too cautious when talking about the dangers of water, especially if there's a chance it could leak in the door bladder.

That wouldn't happen because we can use a polyethylene. And I don't think the cats would even notice. But good things to think about.

Regardless, I think we are all converging on the idea that water is just too risky.

Wait though, which speakers will still fit with the new bladders installed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom