Spare fuel bladders in the doors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have some thoughts;
First, if you utilize a manifold system, please use these instead of pvc
Crap, They're made in Korea. Sorry.

Also, the illustration in post #119 needs to be printed on t-shirts and a group buy must be started.

BMW E30’s had an optional tank that mounted in the trunk directly behind the rear seat.
TUV approved & all.

And I think those rare ‘tanker’ early 60’s racing Corvettes had similar styled tanks in them too.

:meh:

Yep 1984

Wow, This thread has gotten a bit off track, some of the ideas being thrown around with ejection seats and the like are just reckless.

Wow, This thread has gotten a bit off track, some of the ideas being thrown around with ejection seats and the like are just reckless.
No one has said a thing about ejection seats.

Stop trying to derail this thought consortium!

He makes a good point though. Fighter jets don't use airbags. Clearly that means that despite the high cost, ejection seats would be the safer alternative.
But when do you use them?
After the Angel Flares?
Before the tannerite IED evasive maneuver?
I the event of a rollover, the fuel bladders will provide cushion and could be repurposed as an airbag jack to lift the vehicle up.

The ejection seats don't work well when inverted.....

But when do you use them?
After the Angel Flares?
Before the tannerite IED evasive maneuver?
I the event of a rollover, the fuel bladders will provide cushion and could be repurposed as an airbag jack to lift the vehicle up.

The ejection seats don't work well when inverted.....
Complicated scenario, but I would think flares for evasion, worst case ejection, tannerite so the critical design technology doesn't fall into the wrong hands (Jeep bros?). If you hit the canopy like Goose during the ejection, then the fuel cell airbag jack for recovery?

He makes a good point though. Fighter jets don't use airbags. Clearly that means that despite the high cost, ejection seats would be the safer alternative.

Well, how come helicopters don’t have ejection seats then?

Answer me that one, smarty pants :flipoff2:

Clearly they can‘t be ***all that safe*** -since helicopters don’t have them, and they come out of the sky harder than any winged vehicle.

Clearly they can‘t be ***all that safe*** -since helicopters don’t have them, and they come out of the sky harder than any winged vehicle.
That’s kind of a “if you’re dumb enough to fly in one” question.

Because somehow Sikorsky and Bell haven't adopted the obvious WWI technology of a synchronization gear for helicopter ejection seats, and frankly I think some design engineers should be fired.

That’s kind of a “if you’re dumb enough to fly in one” question.

Hunh?
-You have to know how to auto-rotate to ‘drop softly’ from altitude as part of your pilot license, but c’mon - we figured out how to sync the prop blades with the machine gun on prop planes in like1930 -

We can’t figure out how to pop a man fast enough between the blades?

Sure, initial force may be some 20-40g’s - but if your ‘thing that shouldn’t fly’ -is dropping like a rock anyhow, that 20g’s that pool all your blood in your new ‘cankles’ is still better odds....

Besides, James Bond had one, and he didn’t even have fuel bladders - but he did have those oil tanks back there for making the ‘oil slicks‘.

Is ‘because James Bond had.....’ - a legit answer? 🤔

I think tannerite requires <2000fps impact for detonation, so you'll likely need to piss off that other driver enough that they start shooting.

Well, if they're shooting at you, then they can't run into you, now, can they? That's just smart defensive driving.

I have some thoughts;
First, if you utilize a manifold system, please use these instead of pvc
Crap, They're made in Korea. Sorry.

Also, the illustration in post #119 needs to be printed on t-shirts and a group buy must be started.
Put me down for 6 but made with non flammable material. How about making fire blankets with the same illustration..

Hunh?
-You have to know how to auto-rotate to ‘drop softly’ from altitude as part of your pilot license, but c’mon - we figured out how to sync the prop blades with the machine gun on prop planes in like1930 -

We can’t figure out how to pop a man fast enough between the blades?

All of the helicopter ejection seats I've personally seen involve some way of separating the blades prior to ejection. The Russians still use this design on the KA-50 family. From talking to pilots, the entire ejection system is often disabled by unit level mechanics. Anecdotal evidence, I know.

I have roughly 2K hours flying military R/W aircraft. Most of my time was spent at low altitude, leaving me little time to activate an ejection seat. I'm fine with sticking to the auto-rotation option. The second option is to die, I guess.

While we're on the topic of ridiculous design ideas, here is a short list of mods I plan on making to my FJ80:

-Instead of fuel bladders, I plan on making a little compartment to store an umbrella in my doors. Think Rolls Royce.

-I'm mocking up a dashboard vase, similar to the VW Beetle. I expect to start producing these in Q3 of FY20. PM me to get on the list.

-I'm almost done with my Lambo doors conversion. I've made a mental note to make the counterbalance system adjustable. I don't want to exclude those of you running fuel bladders from my potential customer base.

Finally, regarding the fuel bladders:
You should look at a system like we have in the AH-64. The design of the fuel bladder makes it resistant to projectiles up to .50 cal. If you ever brought it to market, you could advertise it as a dual use fuel/armor system. You're almost guaranteed to corner the African warlord market. Food for thought.

All of the helicopter ejection seats I've personally seen involve some way of separating the blades prior to ejection. The Russians still use this design on the KA-50 family. From talking to pilots, the entire ejection system is often disabled by unit level mechanics. Anecdotal evidence, I know.

I have roughly 2K hours flying military R/W aircraft. Most of my time was spent at low altitude, leaving me little time to activate an ejection seat. I'm fine with sticking to the auto-rotation option. The second option is to die, I guess.

While we're on the topic of ridiculous design ideas, here is a short list of mods I plan on making to my FJ80:

-Instead of fuel bladders, I plan on making a little compartment to store an umbrella in my doors. Think Rolls Royce.

-I'm mocking up a dashboard vase, similar to the VW Beetle. I expect to start producing these in Q3 of FY20. PM me to get on the list.

-I'm almost done with my Lambo doors conversion. I've made a mental note to make the counterbalance system adjustable. I don't want to exclude those of you running fuel bladders from my potential customer base.

You should look at a system like we have in the AH-64. The design of the fuel bladder makes it resistant to projectiles up to .50 cal. If you ever brought it to market, you could advertise it as a dual use fuel/armor system. You're almost guaranteed to corner the African warlord market. Food for thought.
You had me at umbrella sleeves.

... You're almost guaranteed to corner the African warlord market. Food for thought.

I was told by the Lexus dealer used car salesman, where my LX450 came from, that my vehicle had been owned by the son of a Nigerian General. Just a Fun Fact.

Yes the vase idea is great but remember we need a gyro base for the vase so that when you off road the flowers and water are not soon separated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom