spacers, spacers, spacers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here soon I plan on putting a 2.5" OME lift on my land cruiser. I am hoping to run 295/70/r18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers (34.3 by 11.6). I know because of m3oar that they do not rub running the lift and tires listed with 1.25" spacers, even at full articulation.

So here's the question. Are spacers as bad as they are cracked up to be? I realize what they "could" do to the car, but has anyone run spacers and actually experienced issues due to them?

Subd... :popcorn:

I do know for what ever reason they are illegal in Australia.

I'm maybe looking at some ProComp steel wheels in black, but they are zero offset so they will be like running 2" spacers which I'm not fond of.

But I want to know what the MUD folks have to say.

You will likely have nobody that has had an issue. Maybe a broken stud here or there due to over torque and such.

You can expand your search to other Toyota sites such as FJ, 4runner, Tacoma, and Tundra and I found no real reason not to with thousands of miles without issue. I do understand the apprehension though.

When I was in the American truck game, I would see broken spacers alll the time. But every time I would see one fail it always turned out to be a cheap fleabay one that failed at the wheel studs.

IMHO I believe as long as you get a quality spacer that's hub centric (spidertrax is the only one that comes to mind), you will have no issues.

fwiw. no problems here. If I remember right, I've had them on for about 2 years or so.

Can someone explain to me, how a 285/75R16 @32.83" (with 1.25" spacers) has a reported "minor rub"

PHOTO Request - LC100s running BFG K02s in 285/75-16 or 295/75-16... !! NEW PICS !!

and a 295/70R18 @34.26" (with 1.25" spacers) has a reported "no rubbing at full articulation".

Before you answer with a it's because of the 2.5" lift, think about the fact that the IFS lift on a 100 series really only changes where the suspension is "at rest". It is still articulating through the same path, and with the larger tire, I would at the very least expect that you would see the same "minor rub" articulating with the front wheels turned. I realize that one is using a BFG KO2 and the other is a Nitto Ridge Grappler, but even with manufacturer variances the larger Nitto should be larger in every dimension.

Last edited:
Both appear to be using factory wheels, although obviously one is 16" in diameter and the other is 18" in diameter.

I run spidertrax spacers on my 4runner for a while now. I even towed my car for 600 miles with the spacers on. Many 4runners I know at T4R.ORG use spidertrax. You have to follow the instructions very carefully (example: torque and re-torque after 500 miles etc.,).
Avoid cheap brands.

With just a quick glance at the spidertrax website (since that is the most requested), I don't see a spacer for the 100 series? Would any of the other vehicles spacers fit on the 100?

Can someone explain to me, how a 285/75R16 @32.83" (with 1.25" spacers) has a reported "minor rub"

PHOTO Request - LC100s running BFG K02s in 285/75-16 or 295/75-16... !! NEW PICS !!

and a 295/70R18 @34.26" (with 1.25" spacers) has a reported "no rubbing at full articulation".

Before you answer a it's because of the 2.5" lift, think about the fact that the IFS lift on a 100 series really only changes where the suspension is "at rest". It is still articulating through the same path, and with the larger tire, I would at the very least expect that you would see the same "minor rub" articulating with the front wheels turned. I realize that one is using a BFG KO2 and the other is a Nitto Ridge Grappler, but even with manufacturer variances the larger Nitto should be larger in every dimension.

I would think from my experience that the 295 would rub down at the pinch weld on the wheel liner at least. I would also think that combo would also rub in front on the top outside edge of the liner and possibly the fender itself under less than full compression. If you have a stiff front stock height or a lift it would help from contact but not prevent it by my math. I run a +20 with 275/70/18 and it rubbed so the +28.25 offset with the added spacers and the 295 combo would be rubbing for sure...at least on my truck;)

If any one is interested, I have a hub centric land cruiser set. They are 2" . I was ordering a 1.25" set, but these came.

20161119_184912.jpg

image.png
If any one is interested, I have a hub centric land cruiser set. They are 2" . I was ordering a 1.25" set, but these came.

View attachment 1354237
Those spacers are lug centric, not hub centric.
A true hub centric spacer would have a raised hub on the outside for the wheel as well.
Hopfully who ever sold them to you did not advertise them as hub centric.

Last edited:
Good to know, thank you.

Slee's + spidertrax 1.25 are the t!ts ;) no problems after lots of wheeling. just use threadlock and torque them

Slee's + spidertrax 1.25 are the t!ts ;) no problems after lots of wheeling. just use threadlock and torque them

When you say slee + spidertrax, do you mean they are both quality products, or you run them both?

View attachment 1354245
Those spacers are lug centric, not hub centric.
A true hub centric spacer would have a raised hub on the outside for the wheel as well.
Hopfully who ever sold them to you did not advertise them as hub centric.

This may be a beginner question, but what is the difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom