Builds SouthernSS Build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Southern,

What roof rack do you have? Is it custom? From the looks of it, you chose not to use the factory rails. Is there any chance you can get some close ups of it and how it attaches.
Thanks,
J

Southern, I think I saw your rig going down Oak Villa a few weeks ago. That bumper looks fantastic.

Southern,

What roof rack do you have? Is it custom? From the looks of it, you chose not to use the factory rails. Is there any chance you can get some close ups of it and how it attaches.
Thanks,
J

Custom made. It may end up being a product of i can ever get around to having it cadded up
ForumRunner_20121118_170141.jpg
ForumRunner_20121118_170155.jpg
ForumRunner_20121118_170216.jpg

Southern, I think I saw your rig going down Oak Villa a few weeks ago. That bumper looks fantastic.

Thanks, that was probably my wife. She didn't try to run you over huh? This armor has unleashed a monster i don't think i was prepared for

Just wait till you have a rear bumper...I am almost looking forward to stopping short and seeing what happens :p

Thanks for the pics! Let me know when you release the product please. I HATE every other design that goes on top of the factory roof rails. They all sit too high, on top of an already tall vehicle.

SouthernSS said:
Hot Springs is beautiful! I really enjoyed the views and the challenging trails. That superlift park really is nice and I look forward to going back.

We wheeled the crap outta the GX and it didnt let us down a single time. The approach angles of the bumper were great and the flex design *almost* worked perfectly :meh:. I need to add about another 1/8" of width to each side to completely clear the stock fenders. As it stands, there was VERY minor rubbing in the most extreme flex situations that needs to be addressed prior to production. Other than that, I was extremely impressed with the truck overall.

It does indeed look like a rear bumper will be forthcoming soon. I ended up in a sticky situation as we slid sideways that required me to gas it over a dropoff and it kinda ripped the rear bumper off a little. :crybaby: It wasnt anything a few zipties couldnt handle. You cant even tell it was damaged now, but I do see the need for better clearance in the back.

Sweet! I have actually become a member and been to orv in hot springs 4 times. I have taken the fj 80 down there and I love it. I have a 06 gx 470 that I'm putting a build on now, I can't wait to take it down there.

I'm lucky that the wife and kids like it.

SouthernSS said:
Hot Springs is beautiful! I really enjoyed the views and the challenging trails. That superlift park really is nice and I look forward to going back.

We wheeled the crap outta the GX and it didnt let us down a single time. The approach angles of the bumper were great and the flex design *almost* worked perfectly :meh:. I need to add about another 1/8" of width to each side to completely clear the stock fenders. As it stands, there was VERY minor rubbing in the most extreme flex situations that needs to be addressed prior to production. Other than that, I was extremely impressed with the truck overall.

It does indeed look like a rear bumper will be forthcoming soon. I ended up in a sticky situation as we slid sideways that required me to gas it over a dropoff and it kinda ripped the rear bumper off a little. :crybaby: It wasnt anything a few zipties couldnt handle. You cant even tell it was damaged now, but I do see the need for better clearance in the back.

How was gearing and traction?

gearing in low was fantastic. I could maybe see the need to regear with 35's and daily driving, but for our purposes the stock gearing is great.

Traction could have been better. The Destination MT's had seen better days, but we muddled through some spots just fine. Those slick rocks are what getcha!

I agree on gearing in low...very nice with 33s and smaller. I think gears would be needed on 35s.

The tire thing...a trick I have found on the GX: The ATRAC seems more aggressive than other trucks with it. I leave my tires at 18-20 lbs and let them "slip" more due to the higher pressure. This allows ATRAC to kick in more often.

I havent needed them, ATRAC gets me through just fine.

yeah, atrac does well. It sure does make a racket though. I thought I broke something the first time I heard it engaging.

Sweet. I'm really excited about my gx build. I think that I'm going to start with a 2" or so lift and some sliders. Might beef up some of the armor on the belly.

I really like all of the gx builds on here!! Jealous!

SouthernSS said:
Yes, thats the plan. I'm in the final preperation stages before production starts. The IH8MUD forum will be the first to know, I promise.

Thats awesome bonner! That must have taken quite a bit of time. :cheers:

Ill take one of these bumpers when you start building them.

Sweet. I'm really excited about my gx build. I think that I'm going to start with a 2" or so lift and some sliders. Might beef up some of the armor on the belly.

I really like all of the gx builds on here!! Jealous!

Do a 3"-3.5" adjustable coilover and set it to two inches so you can always lift higher or even lower it back down. Adjustables like the name suggests gives you a 0-3.5" lift range.

2 inch will only make you want more.

MOAR LIFT!

Also, we are officially a vendor!

Feel free to visit www.SouthernStyleSpeed.com. Website is still under construction and prices are subject to change. I intend to do a group buy for all the folks that have been patiently waiting.

I'm going to do an inspection of the first 3 bumpers produced, to ensure quality, before I go full steam ahead. That should take place in the next 2 weeks, then the ball will be rolling.

Last edited:
BonnerBB said:
Do a 3"-3.5" adjustable coilover and set it to two inches so you can always lift higher or even lower it back down. Adjustables like the name suggests gives you a 0-3.5" lift range.

2 inch will only make you want more.

Great idea! This is what I'll do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom