Sourcing a used airbag ECU in the USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I own a 1997 LX450 in Norway, and I've had the dreaded airbag light come on. I've reset it using the FSM technique, but it just keeps coming back after I start the engine. I've attempted to get the error codes to flash up by shorting between E1 and Tc, but get no codes, just the continuous flashing of the light. I've also been to the local mechanic who had an old code reader, and he also cannot get any communication with the airbag ECU and cannot read any codes.

I know others on the forum have had the exact same issue and fixed it by replacing the airbag ECU. Unfortunately in Norway it will be impossible to find an airbag ECU from a wreckers simply because there are so few old Landcruisers here.

Can anyone suggest where to find a used airbag ECU in the USA that I could purchase, part number 89170-60010.

Many thanks for your help!

Best from Norway

Mark

Try the Parting Out Section in the Classifieds (this forum).

Also you could check with Car-Part dot com, it lists parts available from dozens of Auto Salvage yards in the US with links to the yards.

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestions! I have emailed the car part website, as I couldn't find a link to airbag ECU's, only to clock springs.

Unfortunately nothing on ebay right now, but I'm keeping an eye out.

I have also posted in the parting out threads.

Thank you!

Best

Mark

I have a couple but shipping would be brutal to Norway

US Post Office is slow but shouldn't be very expensive. IME DHL is often less expensive than FedEx. FWIW

I have a couple but shipping would be brutal to Norway
Hey,

Awesome that you have some! Shipping hopefully won't be too bad, Norway is one of the most expensive places on earth to live, so by Norwegian standards it prolly isn't so bad! I do get fishing gear and other stuff from the US, amazon etc., just ordered some gear from Wits End, postage isn't too bad! You'd be surprised what Norway is missing in basic vehicle maintenance items. Back in Australia I could walk into a Supercheap Auto and get most stuff easily.

How can I pay you for one and get the ball rolling!?

Thanks again everyone for helping out the only LX450 in Norway!

Best from beside my lake

Mark

Hey,

Awesome that you have some! Shipping hopefully won't be too bad, Norway is one of the most expensive places on earth to live, so by Norwegian standards it prolly isn't so bad! I do get fishing gear and other stuff from the US, amazon etc., just ordered some gear from Wits End, postage isn't too bad! You'd be surprised what Norway is missing in basic vehicle maintenance items. Back in Australia I could walk into a Supercheap Auto and get most stuff easily.

How can I pay you for one and get the ball rolling!?

Thanks again everyone for helping out the only LX450 in Norway!

Best from beside my lake

Mark
Will he have to do export paperwork?

Will you be able to assist in a broker or such to do the deal?

There may be a dollar limit to stay under strict taxation or export ruling. I don't know what those levels are, but someone here may know.

DHL will be the easiest from a paperwork standpoint. UPS may be OK, but you're going to want to insure it, but need to be aware of "declared value".

Will he have to do export paperwork?

Will you be able to assist in a broker or such to do the deal?

There may be a dollar limit to stay under strict taxation or export ruling. I don't know what those levels are, but someone here may know.

DHL will be the easiest from a paperwork standpoint. UPS may be OK, but you're going to want to insure it, but need to be aware of "declared value".
Hey,

Yes he'll have to tick a few boxes and declare the value and write up a simple invoice, importing into Norway is quite straightforward, the only hassle is I have to pay a 25% import duty! Anything over about 300NOK and you have to pay the 25% import duty.

I'm happy to pay for DHL, whatever is easiest and simplest! I'll just be glad to not see the airbag light anymore and get my 450 through EU vehicle control!

Best

Mark

Hey,

Yes he'll have to tick a few boxes and declare the value and write up a simple invoice, importing into Norway is quite straightforward, the only hassle is I have to pay a 25% import duty! Anything over about 300NOK and you have to pay the 25% import duty.

I'm happy to pay for DHL, whatever is easiest and simplest! I'll just be glad to not see the airbag light anymore and get my 450 through EU vehicle control!

Best

Mark
When he writes up the paperwork, you can tell him what value you want on the invoice, as that's the only paperwork for taxation purposes.
However, if it gets lost, the insurance will only pay whatever that number is, otherwise you'll be out the difference.

Also, there will be a Tariff Classification Number he will need to know. That's where brokers come into play for assistance. Typically, that is based on the RECIEVING country, so Norway.

I can come up with a random industrial parts code number that may or may not apply, but it will most likely be less taxation than auto parts.

Also country of origin will need to be listed as USA (not Japan)

well shoot me a private message with some shipping info and i will see what i can get going for you
Awesome, have sent you a PM!

When he writes up the paperwork, you can tell him what value you want on the invoice, as that's the only paperwork for taxation purposes.
However, if it gets lost, the insurance will only pay whatever that number is, otherwise you'll be out the difference.

Also, there will be a Tariff Classification Number he will need to know. That's where brokers come into play for assistance. Typically, that is based on the RECIEVING country, so Norway.

I can come up with a random industrial parts code number that may or may not apply, but it will most likely be less taxation than auto parts.

Also country of origin will need to be listed as USA (not Japan)

Hey,

I wasn't aware of any classification numbers to import into Norway, but perhaps that is something customs look at on a companies standard invoice?

It should be as simple as writing, Used Car Part $value, on the declaration form. Might be better to be non specific and not mention the word airbag in case someone in customs freaks out about it!

Usually everything arrives pretty smoothly into Norway, it's only when customs can't find the value of something that they can hold things up and ask for evidence, typically more for things like alcohol. I once had to give them a link to an Australian website proving how much a bottle of bundaberg rum is worth. Norwegian customs really like taxing everything!!

Best

Mark

The US recently changed it's rules for shipping things overseas via the Post Office, used to be you could list something as "used electronics" now they want exactly what it is, like Camera, Phone, microwave. Maybe list it as a "used vehicle electronic component/circuit board"??

Not sure how much this comes into play with shippers like DHL to the EU?

The US recently changed it's rules for shipping things overseas via the Post Office, used to be you could list something as "used electronics" now they want exactly what it is, like Camera, Phone, microwave. Maybe list it as a "used vehicle electronic component/circuit board"??

Not sure how much this comes into play with shippers like DHL to the EU?

Hey,

Thanks for that info, I wasn't aware it had become more strict! Must be a bit of a crackdown on postal packages for some reason? The EU has new rules every day! Norway isn't officially a part of the EU, but it follows most of their guidelines I think, as they trade with the entire EU block.

I suggested to write Used Landcruiser Dash Circuit Board, which keeps the description pretty generic.

Hopefully it makes it ok!

Best

Mark

@slow95z has helped me out of a big hole, and will even get the airbag ECU to me in time for me to get my 450 through EU vehicle control, legendary stuff!

The Landcruiser community support extends far and wide, love it!

Best

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom