For Sale *SOLD* Fairey OD *SOLD* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For sale Fairey overdrive out of my 1977 FJ40. Two pieces are damaged (see picture) but overdrive worked fine prior to being removed from vehicle.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Price?

I'm struggling determining a fair price. At this point I am open to any reasonable offers.

Jeff

I happen to have both of the broken pieces to make this unit whole again, so maybe we can both make a sale here.

I would take a really good look at the cluster gear in that lower housing, as the crack is highly unusual. Makes me think something fell in between the gear and the housing, in which case one of the teeth on the cluster gear might be bent.

Mark

Mark,

The unit was working when it was removed. I was thinking that maybe the damaged occurred when it was disassembled. I can ask my mechanic to be certain.

Jeff

I happen to have both of the broken pieces to make this unit whole again, so maybe we can both make a sale here.

I would take a really good look at the cluster gear in that lower housing, as the crack is highly unusual. Makes me think something fell in between the gear and the housing, in which case one of the teeth on the cluster gear might be bent.

Mark

Hi, Mark how much do you want for the broken pieces? Very unusual place to break. Thanks, Mike

I'm out unless there's a complete, unbroken unit. Mark, If you have a unit or figure out something with Jeff, I'd be interested.

What is your price?

Ok guys, I have received several PMs on this. It really gets wearisome having to post NO PMs every time I post. Yeah I'm probably shooting myself in the foot this way, but I know I'm not the only one doing this. @FJ40Jim does not even have a PM box. And @beno has also come to see the advantage in controlling access. I have had a bricks and mortar shop with a telephone for 26 years. Please respect my terms of engagement and leave me a voicemail. I have deleted your PMs.

OP, I do not want to venture a guess on your as-is value. Cases do not crack during disassembly. I wouldn't pay more than cost of shipping without examining all the gears first. 30 years of working on Fairey overdrives has taught me this.

Best

Mark

Like Mark stated these parts can be founds pretty easy. While these two parts can be found some of the little parts aren't easy to find. Gears and bearings don't bother me as much as some of the little parts. I do not see the four studs used connect the overdrive to the T case. Not that uncommon for a overdrive to be removed and the studs left on the transfer case. Have two overdrives missing these studs. Like Mark I would need to do personal inspection. Posting pictures of every part you have would help set value. Missing a few small meaningless looking parts I won't buy it even for just the cost of shipping.

Little parts I was thinking of are in that picture. I've shipped a couple of these in a hard plastic kitty litter container. Used padding to keep everything tight.

I'll give you 75 bucks plus shipping. Mine needs the idler gear and the rest I'll cannibalize for parts.

I'll give you 75 bucks plus shipping. Mine needs the idler gear and the rest I'll cannibalize for parts.

Tried sending PM but your box is full. If you end up buying this like I mentioned could use the mounting studs. Would pay a fair price or could do some trading. Only spare idler I have is used and needs to be machined, sleeve pressed in. I do have a new shaft and bearings for the idler in my parts collection.

If the unit was working when removed, why is it taken apart ? I doubt many people have the skills to put it back together, including myself, even if it had all of the parts. I am currently running 1 in my 40 and wouldn't mind having a bucket of spare parts in case it ever breaks. I would pay $150 plus shipping for it.
Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom