soft tops (11 Viewers)

which in your opinion is the best kind

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dd113 said:
I have run just about every type of softop available and the OEM top is, hands down, the best for sealing up and noise reduction. It is sorta a PITA to put up or down but you get used to it. Even the kayline repo of the OEM top was better than the Bestop. Now that I have one of Ehsans' tops I could not be happier. Eshan, I think I may need to take you up on the offer of replacement canvas. Looks like mine is starting to go also.
OMG.. :).. I should have just sent a PM.. Now I am stuck.. :).. No problem.. Can you post a picture so I can show it to the mechanics here..
Ehsan

Untill I can afford a Paki-top the button down I won will have to suffice. It has saved my but more than once in suprise weather. I can install it in less than five minutes and it does the job. It doesn't compliment the cruiser "look" like the Paki-tops and it does make my cruiser look more like a heep of poop but the top has taken abuse and is still in one piece.

drohweder said:
I've got one of those I inherited with my cruiser. Its 1 year old and I doubt I'll use it. Anyone interested? Guess I better put it on and see how it works. :bounce:

New, unused STC fasttrack? If so, I'm interested. Got pics?

someone's on the TLCA mailing list looking for peps to go in on a group buy for the Paki top.
He says price will drop to $500 for the top + shipping in the US if he gets enough people. (reduced shipping from Pakistan )

I'd check into it

Just an obervation, being reading and looking at pictures of soft tops and noticed fastback styles don't seem common in Usa, any thoughts on this.

dcp_2244.jpg
My softy

Last edited:
tommyt said:
Does anyone make a full or bikini for fj45's?
full what? soft top? for what model 45...pickups, there have been some in the past and eshan can reproduce...troopies, yes. bikini for pickups...same as a 40 or are you doing to the end of the bed?

nuclearlemon said:
full what? soft top? for what model 45...pickups, there have been some in the past and eshan can reproduce...troopies, yes. bikini for pickups...same as a 40 or are you doing to the end of the bed?
It's a 78FJ45 lwb. The soft top can be just a bikini style or cab enclosure.

I have been pleased with my kayline top, it has held up to 8 years of hard use. I finally tore it up the last time I was in Moab on a flop :doh: I should be able to stitch it up and continue to use it though. The doors and latches suck, but I think they have updated this design, I plan on making some metal half doors that will work with the fabric top half’s.

I also have a Kayline and truthfully I think it works well. The latches for the older ones suck but they do work. I'll keep it till it completely fall apart. The PO who bought it bought the regular one and not the one for roll cages and just used it even though it didn't fit. I've modified it and it works great now.

I know it looks like crap in the picture thats because I was to lazy to extend the rear bars. We had been wheelin all day and it was cold outside and it's a bitch to put on cold. Nothing wants to fit right.
IMG_2733.JPG

I've got one of the older kaylines also. It works pretty well, I will definately buy the updated version when this one finally gives up. But man, the old style door handles/latches really suck. I think i've probably ruined a half dozen pairs of pants from catching them on the door latch and ripping them open.

Had the old best-top snap style, Hated it, snaps broke, hard to put on in cold, bows rattled.. I"ve instsalled New Best Top with channels and it was awesome, I have Ehsan's top now (not on) and Kayline doors. But I installed BestTop Door latches! that way I have half doors and good handles.. I hated kayline door posts, catch you hip or pants on them..
OEM style seems to be the best looking. Not easy to drop like best top was but who cares! It'll stay on when a truck passes!

I haven't seen an FJ40 soft top that looks good.

They look like they are all made of vinyl? Is there anyone that makes a sail cloth top for the FJ?

I haven't done any research yet, but I am in the gathering phase for an SOA and I won't be able to get the FJ in the garage anymore after that so I would like something to put on the top (other than my hard top).

SOR makes a besttop in the denim style fabric, Much better than the vinyl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom