soft tops (1 Viewer)

which in your opinion is the best kind

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i think this has been covered before but i couldn't find any results. in the summer i am going to buy a soft top and doors for my fj40. i was set on the bestop supertop until the latest issue of TT came out with the review of the new fastrac zippertop. now i'm not sure what would be the better buy. so i wanna see what you guys who own one of these tops think of them, what are the pros and cons of each one? i kinda like the look of those oem tops but i think they're a bit out of my price range. any help would be great. thanks

they're about the same price as bestop and stc. have you priced those two lately ? although, they do have doors which oem doesn't

Check with 'liquid offroad' - they have a limited number of the Paki OEM reproduction tops for about the same price as the other soft tops (I think it was around 750) At that price, it's a great deal. I think they posted it in the vendor section.

I have a Bestop and it doesn't seal well around doors. I get a lot ( LOT ) of rain inside...

[quote author=TJDIV link=board=1;threadid=12507;start=msg114724#msg114724 date=1078367098]
I'll simply pipe in and say that the snap style SUCKS a MEAN ONE!!!

Pay extra to avoid the snaps.
[/quote]

Around here, I think the trac based tops suck. They get rubbed/banged/bent on the trees, and you never get the top back on. I have a Bestop and I am happy.

Jim

i've heard (and seen on a previous thread on here) that the paki tops don't have that good of stitching and that they kind start to come apart in places after only a few months. does anyone know if this is true? and the oem tops use snaps don't they?

I had a tiger top on my 78 for at least 10 yrs. The windows were just starting to cloud and stitching was starting to rot. The snaps weren't that big an issue with me, but the velcro around the window top and side never worked. Was always coming apart. I finally added snaps and everything worked fine. A month ago, while going down the freeway the stitching on the windshield channel pulled apart, instant open sunroof. I will probably buy another tigertop, since I already have the snaps in the tub. Quality wise, no complaints.

i have a kayline, with the plactic tracks. well the tracks are alu, but the parts on the top it's self are plastic. around the corners in the rear the plastic parts don't hold anymore. so rather than wrap around the corners my tops cuts across right behine the roll bar(oem).

i've never had one, but i would think that a top with steel snaps would have longer staying power, my fastrac is close to 10yrs old and has seen it's day.

[quote author=Chef BoyarDEE link=board=1;threadid=12507;start=msg116045#msg116045 date=1078535315]
i've heard (and seen on a previous thread on here) that the paki tops don't have that good of stitching and that they kind start to come apart in places after only a few months. [/quote]

Please find the info/thread to back this up.....I have not heard or read anything of the sort...

Thanks!

-Steve

When you are looking at the fast track you have to decide between last years top at $440 or this years top at $589. Are removable windows and the "other" improvements worth $150?

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=12507;start=msg120253#msg120253 date=1079136867]
Please find the info/thread to back this up.....I have not heard or read anything of the sort...

Thanks!

-Steve
[/quote]

Steve, I believe Ige (NuclearLemon) made that comment.

Where is the thread/post....

"i've had problems with the stitching on the rear straps coming undone on mine, but it still beats craptop and stc. " -nuclearlemon

Thanks Dave.

I had not heard anything bad from the many people that had orderd them, and from this, I do not gather that the problem is that big of a deal, and would not make me go another direction. I am hoping to get one of these before too long, and I guess we will see first hand what is up with them.

Thanks!

-Steve

I saw Ige's top and it looked nice. I don't know if I want a top with all those straps. It took a bit to get them all synched up after opening the back. It will probably last and wear better though.

I run a bestop and have no complaints except that extra snaps should be added to get a better fit. However, we bought on a budget. I would recomend bestop if you want a little better price right now, down the road, it may not last as long as the others though. Also, bestop soft doors are cheaper than kayline or stc or whatever they call themselves now. That's something to consider when buying both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom