For Sale SoCal: 1975 Toyota FJ40 w/SBC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
blue
IMG_3716.JPEG

Back in September, I got a new job in my home state of Minnesota working as an engineer for Polaris. When planning our move back, I decided that buying a house for my new wife and I was more important than holding on to my FJ40. After lots of thought, I decided to leave the FJ40 out with one of my buddies in California with the intent to sell the FJ there instead of paying to move it back to Minnesota with me. Fast forward 6 months, and I am finally getting around to putting together the for-sale post.

Quick Specs:
Price: $17,000
Year: 1975
Make: Toyota
Model: FJ40
Color: Blue (original: Mustard Yellow)
Engine: Small Block Chevy 350
Transmission: Original 4 speed (H42)
Brakes: FJ60 disk front, stock drum rears
Tires: 35" BFG Mud Terrains
Top: New Bestop soft top and 2-piece doors
Mileage: ~70000

History:
Before I took this FJ40 out to California with me, it had spent 10 years sitting in my dad's barn in Minnesota. He always had plans of fixing it up and making a run around town rig out of it, but sketchy brakes, an engine in need of a good tune up, and way too many other projects always kept those plans on the back burner. When he finally decided to get rid of it, I told him that I would buy it off of him and get it fixed up and road worthy.

Info:
The truck is a 1975 FJ40 with a small block Chevy swapped into it sometime in the 80’s with the Downey V8 conversion kit. After some work it now runs and drives nice and has a disk brake conversion in the front and Saginaw power steering. It also has a ConFerr rear fuel tank and Aqualu Aluminum storage tailgate. It’s sitting on 35” tires with a 2” SUA lift and 4:11 gears. I do not have a hard top for the truck, but it has a new Bestop soft top and 2-piece doors. The seats are generic bucket seats with 3-point seat belts attached to the stock roll cage. Stock gauges are not working and the speedo cable snapped about a year ago while I was trying to diagnose the fuel gauge. The 3 aftermarket gauges (volts, oil pressure, coolant temp) in the stock radio cutout all work. The turn signals and hazards do not work and the stock tail lights are not hooked up yet, but all other exterior lights are functional. The wiring is half stock, half questionable backyard mechanic. It works for the basic functions of starting and running, wipers, lights (except previously mentioned), charging, and heater blower motor, but could use some work. The body is straight with no rust through. There are a few small areas on the rocker panels that were patched long ago, but these were very well done. The front fenders are Aqualu aluminum replacements and the rear wheel openings have a mild cut for the larger tires and fender flares. The paint is a single stage metallic blue that is starting to fade and oxidize and the interior is coated with a roll in bed liner.

All of the images in this thread and more are uploaded to this album on MUD.

Maintenance and work history:
  • All fluids and filters changed
    • Engine oil, Trans and T-case oil (Redline MT90), Brake fluid, power steering fluid, Diff oil
  • Disk brake conversion
    • FJ60 knuckles, birfields, disks, hubs, etc, and, 90s 4-Runner calipers
    • Full rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters, Marlin Crawler Heavy Duty Axle Seals and backing plate eliminator kit
    • Every part was degreased, sand blasted and painted (por15 for castings, high temp paint for brake parts)
    • Knuckle centering tool was used to align axle shafts and set preloads
59953924373__0BCCB5AE-6690-4700-88E8-4C07D707B0E3.JPG

• Replaced the fabricated old bumper with an OEM frame rear cross member and new OEM tail lights
IMG_4098.jpeg

IMG_5004-2.jpg

• Installed a new Bestop soft top and 2-piece doors
IMG_3708.JPEG

---Continued in next post---

Last edited:
  • Refreshed the ignition system with a new MSD HEI Billet Distributor
MSD Distributer.jpg

I had intended to rebuild the rear third member and swap out the gears for fine splined pinions but never got around to it. So, the truck will come with a full rear axle rebuild kit with all new bearings and seals, as well as 2 very lightly used sets of 4:11 fine splined ring and pinion gears from Cruiser Outfitters and 2 fine splined pinion flanges. I also have a full set of LED lights for the interior and the rear badges for the truck.

The good:
  • Body is straight no rust pitting
  • Frame is in good condition
  • Power steering
  • Extremely thorough FJ60 disk brake conversion on the front
  • Well done v8 swap
  • Runs and drives well
  • Shifts smooth
  • ConFerr rear fuel tank
  • New distributer, battery, and alternator
  • New Bestop Soft top and 2-piece doors
  • All fluids changed within 500 miles

The bad:
  • Tires are pretty old
  • Good tread depth, but have micro cracks in side walls
  • Power steering leaks
  • Small tranny leak
  • Oil pan gasket weeps oil
  • Dash pad is in rough shape
  • Gauges are not working
  • Wiring could use some work

IMG_4999.JPG

IMG_5034.JPG

IMG_5028.JPG

IMG_5040.JPG

Overall, this is a solid little truck that, with a little work, could be a great trail rig or a fun truck to drive to the beach on weekends. Please reach out with any questions.

Thanks,

Travis

612-877-2128

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom