so u think u can garden!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the gimpey one said:
reviving this thread for the year... Made hot boxes for the wife last year and we have had lettuce all winter. Also some carrots in the box on the right.

Made some boxes today. Planted squash, cucumbers and peas. Gonna make a run to flea market to get more plants Wednesday. Putting my maters somewhere else this year. Still got to build some trellis's and more soil. Lowes has some potting soil for under $2 a bag for 32 quarts also...

ForumRunner_20120401_163128.jpg

ForumRunner_20120401_163156.jpg

don't know why they are sideways...

Hey Gabe is that treated lumber?? If so you need to line it with plastic...the ACQ treatment of the lumber will leach into the soil and be absorbed by your vegetables and into you once you consume them

CruisinTiger said:
Hey Gabe is that treated lumber?? If so you need to line it with plastic...the ACQ treatment of the lumber will leach into the soil and be absorbed by your vegetables and into you once you consume them

Too late my friend. It will just add flavor.

Mind if I play. My wife and I have had a garden the last 15 years and we can only grow the basic crops because of the NC clay and rock soil. Cucumbers, green beans, peppers, and usually German Johnsons, Better Boys, Parks Whoppers and Sweet 100 cherry maters. Just had our garden plowed and have to wait til after tax day to avoid any freeze. You guys will be picking long before we see any vegies. I added a photo of last years garden.

Kenny :cheers:

Garden.jpg

garden1.jpg

Mind if I play. My wife and I have had a garden the last 15 years and we can only grow the basic crops because of the NC clay and rock soil. Cucumbers, green beans, peppers, and usually German Johnsons, Better Boys, Parks Whoppers and Sweet 100 cherry maters. Just had our garden plowed and have to wait til after tax day to avoid any freeze. You guys will be picking long before we see any vegies. I added a photo of last years garden.

Kenny :cheers:

Keep mulching and let it rot or turn it in and soon you will be able to grow anything, ahhh organic mater!!!:bounce:

Keep mulching and let it rot or turn it in and soon you will be able to grow anything, ahhh organic mater!!!:bounce:

Doc, the trash bags you see are full of ground up leaves. After we plant, the leaves go down between the rows to keep weeds away and for exactly what you recommend. Over the years, we have eliminated the rock and worked the soil, but as you can see by all the trees, more sunlight would be nice.
Here is a pic of last years bounty. The zebra looking maters are Mr Stripeys!

garden.jpg

Kenny, I was going to suggest that. I just got up the last (I hope) of the leaves and every year they go into my moms garden(next door), makes great compost for the next year.

Doc, the trash bags you see are full of ground up leaves. After we plant, the leaves go down between the rows to keep weeds away and for exactly what you recommend. Over the years, we have eliminated the rock and worked the soil, but as you can see by all the trees, more sunlight would be nice.
Here is a pic of last years bounty. The zebra looking maters are Mr Stripeys!

May I suggest a wonderful tool to add more light to your garden. Chainsaw, oh and rent a chipper more mulch. HMMMMMM mulch is good. Wish I had a job where I could do some garden stuff but one year I planted a small garden and by the time I got back from all the travel I do the plants had been overrun by weeds ripened and rotted away. I only got one tomatto that year for all my effort.:mad: So I have to keep my green thumb on hold till I stop this relief travel assignment. But your harvest looks great and I bet it tastes even better. :cheers:

Picked up some okra, eggplant, broccoli, and green bell peppers.

Built eight raised beds to start a community garden at the church. Everything donated: lumber from Lowes, compost from the city, and gravel for pathways. Everything in place and ready to plant.

I need a donated garden...I cleared the spot for the larger one for this year and haven't been outside since due to work.

Bought 6 fruit trees, 3 blueberry bushes, and 2 tulip trees last weekend. Got all but a few planted last week.

Cleared some brush out and plan to plant some Leland cypres or similar to block a little of my neighbors yard. Hope to speak with another neighbor about an empty lot next to us. If we can get it reasonable then it will give us some great space for gardening and area for the kids to play.

I am planning an apple, pomegranate, and fig this year.

Need to get in gear, year is outpacing me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom