so THAT'S where my front end clunk came from... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
orf0FSZ.jpg

Daily reminder to look underneath your cruiser every now and then :bang:

this is the passenger side frame mount for my front swaybar. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how that nut would have come off.

Either way...I don't have the nut. Can anyone help me out with what size nut goes there? I assume there's a washer as well. And any idea what it should be torqued to?

Thanks!

Or pull the one off the other side and take it to a hardware store. That's assuming it's the same attachment setup. Grade 8 I would guess.

Or pull the one off the other side and take it to a hardware store. That's assuming it's the same attachment setup. Grade 8 I would guess.
Ummmm...I'm almost positive it's not an SAE threaded fastener. So it wouldn't be a grade 8. It may be the metric equivalent which would be a 10.9

For reference if you decide to go to a Toyota parts department.

3B8AD66F-560F-426C-9244-64FBA697D9F9_zpscb0nubqq.png

It's a metric nylon nut but I don't think it is a common size. I seem to recall it being 14mm for some reason.
As someone else has said take the nut off the other side and head off to a fastening supplier.

For reference if you decide to go to a Toyota parts department.

3B8AD66F-560F-426C-9244-64FBA697D9F9_zpscb0nubqq.png

I looked through these diagrams but can't quite figure out what part it is. #18?

or find someone, like me, that has pulled the front swaybar and has everything sitting around :meh:

messaging you shortly!

3B8AD66F-560F-426C-9244-64FBA697D9F9_zpsaje7ivgy.jpeg
The 18 is not a part number. Those three numbers are torque specs. I believe what I have circled is what you need, however.

There ya go. 2b.

awesome thanks guys. My local dealer was able to get the nut for pickup tomorrow. Looks like part number 9017908062

In that piece of the FSM, it says "after stabilizing the suspension, torque the nut." What does that mean exactly?

It means don't have your wagon on jack stands when you torque the nut.
Have your wagon wheels on the ground at normal ride height, stabilized, then torque the nut.

Need a little more help here guys. Got the nut but when i try and put it on, the bolt just spins so I can't tighten it.

Do I have to hold the threaded part somehow?

Yes you do.
Place an allen wrench (6mm?) or socket with an allen wrench in the stud. It's got the hex head recessed in the stud. Clean it out and stuff your allen wrench in there. That will hold it in position.
Then cranck the nut on. I lnow you have the torque spec for that, but I just went pretty tight as I couldn't get a torque wrench and hold the stud all at once.
Allen wrench is not the real name, but you know what I mean. I ain't real good with the words an stuff!

Last edited:
ok so I got the nut on there and torqued it down to what I thought was pretty tight. I had the same issue with holding everything that Tedward did. This is how it looked afterwards:

kNL7afV.jpg

It seems like everything is still at a bit of an odd angle. Does this look right or do I need to crank it down more to pull everything together? Also, is there supposed to be a washer in there? The dealer didn't say I needed one.

To add to things, I hit a big bump in the road last night and after that the clunk came back even worse. After quickly looking at the new nut, it looks like it may have backed off slightly.

I'm wondering if since I didn't torque it down enough the first time to take up all the slack in the bushing, it has now made itself loose again.

I'm thinking as a way to torque this accurately, put the allen bit on the torque wrench and torque in the counter clockwise direction while I hold a box wrench on the nut?

Let me know what you guys think. This clunk is driving me nuts :bang:

14912383800681971241040.jpg
14912384274941386120183.jpg

Good idea about the torque wrench wit a bit!
Nut and washer on mine.
Check your other side and and the rear ones. Bet they all have a washer.
Not sure how it may affect (or is that effect?) it.
Are the bracket to the frame nuts tightly fastened?

Shoot. Maybe clean it and thread lock it.
Hopefully someone smarter/experienced than me will get in on this problem of yours.

Last edited:
You know I'm fairly certain there are TWO washers per link.

One tween the nut and the bracket. Another tween the bracket and the link.

I remember dry fitting those parts together and forgetting to install the inside washer.
It seemed that the link fit just so nicely into the bracket opening.
Wrong.... I found the "extra" washers on the bench.

Got the nut but when i try and put it on, the bolt just spins so I can't tighten it.
Also, for future reference, can someone tell us if the OP messed up the link by spinning the "bolt"?
I would think not, but I can barley spell so....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom