So, I bought a surplus M1101 trailer.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You definitely want some triangulated bracing. Otherwise, the supports will fold and dump the tent out the back of the trailer.
Originally that was going to be a design feature to fold down and lower the profile in transit but I didn't have time to figure it out right now. The cross members are tee braced and all 1/2 inch hardware. I actually hurt myself trying to get it to flex or bust loose. I may add some 45s for rigidity/wiggliness, but I don't think it is going to fail. I've certainly been wrong before though.

I wish I was closer to you. I could use the know how and moral support. I've been looking at IC and boosting up. I could also use a re-gear.

There are times, but I'm committed to the hype! If I swap it, then I lose. Kind of like this guy.

omg..... Kenny Powers. I loved that series. Thanks for this.

Originally that was going to be a design feature to fold down and lower the profile in transit but I didn't have time to figure it out right now. The cross members are tee braced and all 1/2 inch hardware. I actually hurt myself trying to get it to flex or bust loose. I may add some 45s for rigidity/wiggliness, but I don't think it is going to fail. I've certainly been wrong before though.

It'll become MUCH easier for the structure to fail as you add weight up top (aka you go sleep in it).

I wouldn't wait. Take some of that strut and go from the top of one post to the bottom of the other. One on each side.

Last edited:
It'll be come MUCH easier for the structure to fail as you add weight up top (aka you go sleep in it).

I wouldn't wait. Take some of that strut and go from the top of one post to the bottom of the other. One on each side.
Especially if camping on the slightest angle.

So far so good. Survived the ride, thunderstorms and 30 mph winds. She's not as solid as the ground (I blame the torsion bar suspension). Powerstrut is some good stuff if you can't weld.

upload_2017-5-8_12-39-51.png

Last edited:
Wind and RTT are not two words that go together. Absolute hell.
really any tent. some dudes left at 3am the morning we got there in the middle of the storm. I found tattered pieces of rainfly where they had been (i.e. velcro loops torn off with bits of rainfly attached).

If I go any bigger, I will have to do a 350 swap to be able to drive at highway speeds.

Look at the G-turbo. Night and day difference on the 1HdT

really any tent. some dudes left at 3am the morning we got there in the middle of the storm. I found tattered pieces of rainfly where they had been (i.e. velcro loops torn off with bits of rainfly attached).

I tried to get you to come over to the house. At least there there was cover from the wind and had plenty of space. I figured you were staying through to Sunday and didn't want to do a bunch of moving. I just cant camp at the beach. Done it a half dozen times and not one single experience was positive. Wind and sand being the biggest factor. Just cant sleep in a bag with sand on me.

Will say the wind this year was exceptionally strong. We had to park our cruisers to shelter us from the wind when fishing. Felt sorry for you guys Friday night. We took the ferry from Okracoke that night and it was just starting to turn into hell.

I'm kinda having the same design thoughts with mine. Would love for mine to lower as well. FWIW I saw two other expo trailers at the Jamboree a while back using the same support structure. Was strong as hell.

I tried to get you to come over to the house. At least there there was cover from the wind and had plenty of space. I figured you were staying through to Sunday and didn't want to do a bunch of moving. I just cant camp at the beach. Done it a half dozen times and not one single experience was positive. Wind and sand being the biggest factor. Just cant sleep in a bag with sand on me.

Will say the wind this year was exceptionally strong. We had to park our cruisers to shelter us from the wind when fishing. Felt sorry for you guys Friday night. We took the ferry from Okracoke that night and it was just starting to turn into hell.
Hey sorry we didn't link up, but I really do appreciate the offer from you guys! It kind of looked like you guys had already been doing what we wanted to do and I didn't think you would want to retread. The kids just wanted to play in the ocean and wife wanted to check out Ocracoke. We spent most of our time just getting up and around and getting fed and maintenance stuff. I also think my wife didn't want to impose on anyone. Pretty sure this will be our last time camping at OBX in this configuration though. Prolly be house or cabin from now on.

Look at the G-turbo. Night and day difference on the 1HdT
ya, all that is just so pricey; the Grunter and the IC and the tuning. don't think i haven't considered it though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom