Sliders & Bumpers - best approach for preventing rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm pulling my steel bumpers & sliders to strip and repaint. What's the best approach - prep, primer, topcoat - to keep the rust at bay as long as possible? I'll be sandblasting and/or grinding to bare metal and am comfortable with HVLP, rattlecan or brushing. Not to concerned about material cost. End result will be black, I'd prefer flat with light texture rather then gloss.

Sliders were rattle-canned with rustoleum self-etching primer and rustoleum rattle-can truck bed liner. I like the look and texture of that product, and it's held up OK. I like being able to touch it up easily after I drag it over some rocks.. But hoping for something that will last longer this time around.

Rear bumper was powdercoated and it held up for s***. Big bubbles of rust under it. I've ground or wire-wheeled off some of those, and hit them with the rustoleum bed liner (which matches great) but that's rusting through also. Based on this experience, I'm not considering powder coating again.

For bumpers and sliders that get used, i just recommend keeping rustoleum on there.
Seems excessive pulling them to prime and paint to just scrape off again.
I just mask my vehicle with a baggie and go to town.

For bumpers and sliders that get used, i just recommend keeping rustoleum on there.
Seems excessive pulling them to prime and paint to just scrape off again.
I just mask my vehicle with a baggie and go to town.

They have to come off anyway, and there's stuff that isn't really accessible on the vehicle.

1) solvent wash
2) sandblast
3) clean with clean air
4) epoxy prime
5) Bedliner or urethane/polyurethane paint.

Follow product data sheets for the products you’re using.
That's largely what I did. Step one was just a pressure washing and I did a solvent wipedown between sand blasting and the epoxy primer. We'll see how it holds up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom