Slee 4 inch kit vs. J spring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Actually I asked for a pic of vehicle side with Slee coils installed. I ran a set of Slee heavy progressives coils, that I bought used, about four years and have nothing but good things to say about them other than they lifted my unloaded 80 6”. Curiosity took hold of me and I recently put in a set of rear Dobinson 3” tapered coils with a 30mm spacer to go with the front tapered springs I’ve been running since 2017. Time will tell if I stick with them as I haven’t loaded them up yet.
Sorry no pics of the truck yet with the heavies.

View attachment 1791416 View attachment 1791417 View attachment 1791418 View attachment 1791419 Having just swapped out OME 850J/863J springs for the Slee 4” medium springs I
figured I’d add to the thread to help others trying to decide between the two options presented by the OP.

If you don’t want to read the rest, here are the cliff notes...
If your 80 is light = OME 850J/863J
If your 80 is heavy = Slee 4”

I can tell a HUGE difference in my heavy 80 with the Slee springs. The vehicle is much more controlled and stable.

I did the rear springs (lightly used) a few months ago and drove it like that for a few months. It really stiffened up the rear. The J’s with a rear bumper, sub tank, cargo racks, shelf and fridge proved to be too much weight for the J’s and the sag was apparent and it felt mushy while driving. It sits about an inch higher now. I’ll drive these for awhile to see IF I even need to upgrade to the Slee heavies.

After scoring another good deal on a set of like new Slee front springs, I installed them. Although the free height of the front springs when loaded is nearly identical (pic). Once loaded, the thicker gauge of the Slee spring yields about an inch higher front end with an ARB, Warn M12000 & a 2nd battery.

Keep in mind that I had always planned to get the Slee’s and that I used the J springs only as a bandaid until I could get the Slee springs. So I already had the 80 set up for a 4” lift and had previously installed the following; Landtank’s caster plates, double cardon front drive shaft, rear longer control arms, Slee extended brake lines, front & rear adjustable panhards, Metaltech front sway bar spacers & Landtank extended rear sway bar links.

You may or may not need all of the items above and more depending on your particular situation.

I.e. I still need to add bump stop spacers.
Just need to flex it out first and measure exactly what size I’ll need.
Would you happen to have a center of hub to bottom of flare measurement for the Slee 4" springs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom