Simply Referred to as "The 40" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took the 40 out yesterday for some "non neighborhood" pictures
DSC00451.jpg
DSC00454.jpg
DSC00460.jpg

I dont understand why he would have gone with the front brakes from a mini, though it is a early 76 model 40. When (in 76) did they begin to install rotors? Manufacture date of the rig is 7/76.

Im also suprised at how the rotors look. if they are indeed mini truck brakes, shouldnt they have been in somewhat better shape than what it is now. maybe i'm wrong.

oh yeah, those calipers are from a previous install i did. rotors were fine back then.

not sure but almost positive that the outers are mini truck. As for why....maybe the front axle is out of a different truck or something like that, as for why they are in bad shape they are still 26 years old. the last year mini truck that fits is 1985. My cruiser is a 71 and Im just about to start the disc swap. Good luck. There is nothing wrong with the mini truck swap. The birfs are stronger, the discs can be upgraded to and 86 or newer vented rotor which means no brake fade and if you want better birfs there are tons of chromoloy and hardened birfs. Yours by the way look like aftermarket chromoly birfs.:D

it does have vented rotors, they just need turned i believe.

and... now that you mention it, the splines looked a little too.... new for how old the truck is, and also the teeth are a lot more sturdy just by visual appearance than the stock birfs. this is my 4th knuckle rebuild.
DSC00526.jpg

ok, did a little research and they are stock birfields, possibly out of the mini truck, but to my knowledge they are "factory". not chromoly.... man :(

but hey, they are from a mini truck, which seems to mean that they are bigger from what i've read. and i do have vented rotors, so i seem to be in good shape. plus all my bearings are in good working condition, no problems. looks like i'm just going to be ordering a minor shim and gasket set.

Its been a while

I know it has been a while, but I've been busy with life, as they would say.

Done a few things,

- Manufactured floor mats from some rubber I picked up from Tractor Supply

- Finished all the work to the front knuckles... for now at least

- Heat wrapped the headers.... still having a tough time getting them to seal though. Tried a few things here and there, but I do know that the flange that bolts to the manifold is warped so that doesn't help
DSC00625.jpg
DSC00626.jpg
DSC00627.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom